Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scott's Stuff

+17
Planes
dusktiger
Dom.0
kerr_matt80
Gain
Lore Weaver
Timbo
Dana
ice
Terran
System Commander
smackman
Commander James of the Ul
gluvzer
Administratum
Paz
ScottRadom
21 posters

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Scott's Stuff - Page 3 Empty Re: Scott's Stuff

Post  ScottRadom Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:50 am

I got this little dude in a pack from an eBuddy. He's really tiny! I just wanted to work on a quickie, this was fun. The battle damage is my first time trying to paint stuff like that. The pic's also deleted the hardest part of the mini, the gem effect on the lens! The whole mini is maybe 8mm tall. It's ona 30mm round base. Kinda fun to do! I'm gonna make sure i have a bunch of these kind of little mini's kicking around to work on. They're great for a break from painting a larger mini.
Scott's Stuff - Page 3 Robot1
Scott's Stuff - Page 3 IMG_2809
Scott's Stuff - Page 3 IMG_2808
Scott's Stuff - Page 3 Robot2
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:30 pm

The Goblin King looks really shiny. Maybe camera? I like how the skin turned out, nice looking transitions. (looks like slimer from ghostbusters!) The wolf pelt looks so shiny it looks wet to me.

I love that little dude! Cool fig and an awsome paint job.
gluvzer
gluvzer
Lord of Titan/Hero of ToonCon/Ayatollah of Rock n' Rolla

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:38 pm

Yeah it's the goddamn camera. A guy over on another board is re-doing the pics to take away the glare and adjust the light levels.
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:31 pm

insane

Back to top Go down

Post  ice Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:31 pm

what kind of camera are you using scott?
ice
ice
Mystic

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:57 pm

A crappy old Canon compact. Elph I think. 3.1 megapixels, a crappy macro function, and a real bad auto leveler. It sucks. I have a new one priced out, but I won't be getting it for a couple months.
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:34 pm

Tried to do some battle damage on the shield for this dude and it looks like ass. This is for a comp over on WAMP. You should see some of the stuff entered. Wow. There's some big gun talent over there now! Any thoughts appreciated. It's going on a larger scenic style base. Kind of rocky step with a bit of a fried looking tree stump beside it thingy.
Scott's Stuff - Page 3 IMG_3428
Scott's Stuff - Page 3 IMG_3429
Scott's Stuff - Page 3 IMG_3427
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Dana Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:48 pm

I think you really knocked one out of the park with the furs and the cloth parts of the fig. The fur really stand out I like the mix of greys in with the brown instead of going with just Grey or a brown tone all the way through. I know your not a fan of the battle damage but it looks pretty decent is it your first go at it? I really havent looked at a fig that had battle damage painted right on a surface like that. Im used to seeing people cut or file grooves right in and work with actual pits or cuts. So if its a first go then I think your well on your way. The metals dont look great but thats because of the the pic. They allways look great when you see the model in real life. Cant wait to see what it looks like with it on the base.
Dana
Dana
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:38 pm

Maybe try a more subtle colour for your 'edge' on the battle damage? That grey is pretty prominent and may be the problem.

Nice work!
gluvzer
gluvzer

Back to top Go down

Post  Paz Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:52 am

Something does look off with the battle damage. The lighting effect on the far right gash is a little off. The part where the light fish-hooks up is inaccurate, based on where your light-source is coming from, and where the rest of the highlights have been placed. Something that the eye kinda picks up pretty quick is natural inconsistencies.
Love the red shading though, absolutely fantastic.
Paz
Paz
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:21 pm

I'm not 100% on this dude. It's really tough trying to paint based off photo reference for a character vs. just doing what feels right.

Scott's Stuff - Page 3 IMG_3563
Scott's Stuff - Page 3 IMG_3564
Scott's Stuff - Page 3 IMG_3565
Scott's Stuff - Page 3 IMG_3566
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:48 am

I love this fig. I didn't know Hans pants were blue (for some reason looks off to me but well executed). The pic doesn't do the face justice. When I saw this guy last week while you were still working on it I couldn't believe how awsome the face was and how it looked just like Harrison.

Shoot first!
gluvzer
gluvzer

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:35 pm

Yeah, I find myself wanting to see the face, but he looks great to me man!

I painted a Han fig once about 15 years ago, it was one of the official Star Wars role palying ones.. and it was not a good mini. But thats the only reason why I knew his pants were blue.

I think the only thing that might look a bit off is I was under the impression (just from my memory) that he had a black vest and black boots.. and that they were the same color. Your vest looks a bit greyer to me than the boots.. but maybe thats a light/angle thing?

I just saw Knight came out with these 30 mm Star Wars guys a few weeks ago, and man would I love to get some. I have a feeling Lando might get the passover again .. Sad
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:46 pm

I tried to do the boots and vest a little differently to avoud the cloth and leather looking the same. I think the mini looks better in the hand, but not by much. Not my finest hour but waddaya do? Onward and upward. I finished this dude off. I like it, I re-did the battle damage on the shield. It's my first ever full on scenic base display mini. Fire away!
Scott's Stuff - Page 3 IMG_3579
Scott's Stuff - Page 3 IMG_3576
Scott's Stuff - Page 3 IMG_3577
Scott's Stuff - Page 3 IMG_3575
Scott's Stuff - Page 3 IMG_3574

ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Paz Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:19 pm

battle-damage on shield does look a lot better Scott.
Paz
Paz
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:59 am

Very much improved. The base looks awsome.
gluvzer
gluvzer

Back to top Go down

Scott's Stuff - Page 3 Empty Re Scotts stuff

Post  Commander James of the Ul Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:30 pm

Wow good job on Han. Maybe his pistol could look a little cleaner. Gotta love the Viking, base looks sweet, How did you get the grass that way. WERE IN THE HELL DO YOU HAVE TIME FOR THIS. I've been working on a Vendetta for 2 months... Do you do commission work and what are your rates.

Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:32 pm

TY guys.

Grass tufts are a product from a company called Silfor. I don't know who stocks them, if anyone does, in Canada but I get mine from a company in the States called Scenic Express. Their shipping rates are retarded, and there is usually duty on that stuff too.

I paint before work in the morning. I get up a couple hours early and hit the brushes. Usually.

I do commission work for sure. I am booked until mid December (even though I said I would never do that again... damnit) and I only do single character mini's. I don't have the desire to do units or anything. Depends on what mini's you want done but I usually charge between 60-80$ for the prep, assembly, and the painting. Depends on what you need done I guess. But I am super busy now and I have a new job which will soak up a bunch of my time starting next week so I don't even know if I am going to be taking any more work after that point.
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:14 pm

I painted this mini to review it in an eZine called "Ireggular". Love Discworld books, and the librarian is one of my fav's. Fire away any crits...
Scott's Stuff - Page 3 IMG_3594
Scott's Stuff - Page 3 IMG_3588
Scott's Stuff - Page 3 IMG_3590
Scott's Stuff - Page 3 IMG_3589
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Scott's Stuff - Page 3 Empty Re Scotts stuff

Post  Commander James of the Ul Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:54 pm

Great detail on the fur and the pages of the book, Looks like you spent some time on crack.... er I mean the back of the ape... lol Razz

Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:53 pm

Scott's Stuff - Page 3 Capleftside2
Scott's Stuff - Page 3 Capfront3
Scott's Stuff - Page 3 Caprightside
Scott's Stuff - Page 3 Capbackleft

After the assassination of Abraham Erskine and the only succesful test patient Steve Rogers during the final trials of Operation: Rebirth the United States Army was forced to accelerate contingency plans to keep up with the Nazi super soldier program. In 1942 Millionaire industrialist Howard Stark delivered with engineering and steel the super soldier chemistry had hoped to provide. Under a shroud of secrecy Howard Stark perfected his creation and and unveiled his new armour construction that would allow for America to deploy it's own answer to Nazi Germany's "Red Skull".

Pictured is Howard Stark at Normandy in 1944. By the end of the War only a handful of suits had been constructed, though several different weapons configurations had been succesfully field tested by Nick Fury and the "Howling Commando's".

Here's a CMON link for those so interested...

http://www.coolminiornot.com/266855

So that's my little blurb. This is also my entry for my "American Flag" challenge. I had a lot of fun painting this mini and it took a lot of patience. I'd love to hear any and all crit's! This was for sure the most amount of time I have sunk into a single mini. Thanks gang! Feel's like forever since I posted a mini anywhere. Yikes!
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:38 am

I love it! I didn't look at it close enuf to give any crits because I was just digging the overall.

You selling this one? I'd consider buying.
gluvzer
gluvzer

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:50 am

Haha.. awesome man, I love him!

Now, can you make me a Marc Spector power armoured dude?

Seriously though.. the only critique I can offer at all is that the armour is just begging to have some battle damage on it. That being said, there is always something to be said for the just off the assembly line look, especially if your going for the patriotic thing.

And if I can be so bold.. the gun barrel missed a drilling. I cant tell because of the lighting, but you might have it painted black.. but with such a close zoom it would of looked good drilled out.

Those are the only minor points I could bring out in an otherwise great figure. Is the white star a decal? It's pretty much perfect and I find my eyes drawn tp it repeatedly because it stand out so much. I think if it was even off a tiny bit it would make things look a bit awkward, but like I said, it's perfect.

The blending on the shoulder pads and legs combined with the highlights sure stand out. Great job man! Go Cap!
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:20 pm

ooooohhh good call on the gun barrel Robyn.
gluvzer
gluvzer

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:23 pm

Yeah I super missed the gun barrel. And the eyeball is a little dissappointing. The star is for sure a decal. I really tried to freehand it, but it was always a little bit off and it looked more like the scribblings of a retard than I wanted it too. So I went for the decal. You're super right Robyn, it looked ass horrible even a little bit off. And it was more than a little. The A on his helmet is a little off center too. I blame that on doing the head seperate from the body. TY guys.

I'll probably hold on to him for a little while, but I might sell later.
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next