Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!

+5
Roland
Lore Weaver
Rhaevyn
Matthew G
Planes
9 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn! - Page 4 Empty Re: Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!

Post  Planes Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:00 pm

Getting some good progress on my bikers today. Primed an largely based so far. Need to figure out what kind of colors I am going to use for the manes/fins on the "possessed bikes".

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn! - Page 4 Slaan_biker_03_by_planes-d6ky44n
Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn! - Page 4 Slaan_biker_04_by_planes-d6ky4bn
Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn! - Page 4 Slaan_biker_05_by_planes-d6ky4e9
Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn! - Page 4 Slaan_biker_06_by_planes-d6ky4mx
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:08 pm

I also have my Chaos Lord on a Steed of Slaanesh based and coming along decently. The color he's based in doesn't show up too well in the photo, but he's based in a nice pale lavender. Why is the Daemonette there, you ask? To ride on his shoulders like a boss, of course! Beyond helping to help identify him as the Chaos Lord, she can easily also count-as a Combat or Spell familiar.

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn! - Page 4 Steed_lord_01_by_planes-d6ky4pe

Also, as I was blitzing through priming and basing anyway, I decided it was well past time for me to get off my butt and start work in earnest on my Nurgle bikers. A happy accident when blending paint, I seem to have found the mix needed to make the color of all "future metals" as depicted in old Sci-Fi flics, and I have no idea what ratios I used to create it.

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn! - Page 4 Nurgle_bikes_01_by_planes-d6ky4sb
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:06 am

Making the Khornate Raptor Lord detachable so I could field it separately compelled me to give Raptors a shot, so here's the start of my 10 man Night Lord squad.

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn! - Page 4 Raptors_01_by_planes-d6sowns

I feel that the loyalist jump packs fit well with the Night Lords, as in the fluff they are rather meticulous with the care of their gear, and no icky worship to corrupt their equipment either. The three in the back left are going to be the champion and special weapons dudes, and shall be magnetized accordingly.
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:44 pm

Night Lords are mostly just waiting on the pauldrons right now. Decided to get some more Havoks going in the mean time. That means more auto cannons!

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn! - Page 4 Heavy_cannons_by_planes-d6uwkb9
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:58 pm

Working on blasting through these guys quick. Sadly, I was only able to get to the second wash prior to getting kicked out of the basement for the night.

Primed Grey, based with Pallid Witch Flesh, second based with Averland Sunset, washed twice with Agrax Earthshade (once everywhere, once just in the more shadowy places).

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn! - Page 4 Havok_06_by_planes-d6v0nto

The plan is to next drybrush on Averland Sunset anywhere I want highlights, and then a little bit of Flash Gitz Yellow where I really want things to pop. After that, I'm going nail it with a coat of Tamiya Clear Green, and with the under coat of yellow-thru-dark brown, I should get all kinds of lovely, sickly shades of green; perfect for MoNurgle Havocs. Trim with copper, and from there deal with all the piddly details and basing.
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:04 pm

Well, if nothing else I am confident in my ability to do yellow now. If I were ever compelled to do Imp Fists, I could make them look half ways purdy, at least.

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn! - Page 4 Havok_07_by_planes-d6v2au7

Sadly, the hues beneath the Tamiya Clear Green had a negligible effect on the end color, and the picture makes them look far darker than they really are.

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn! - Page 4 Havok_08_by_planes-d6v2aww

Much the same as the Khorne Lord, the blending doesn't really show until it has something to pop against.

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn! - Page 4 Hav_champ_01_by_planes-d6v2b09
Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn! - Page 4 Hav_champ_02_by_planes-d6v2b33
Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn! - Page 4 Hav_champ_03_by_planes-d6v2b4z

In the end, it wasn't quite the effect I was going for, but I don't think this guy looks horrible by any means. One perk to doing these guys as test minis is now I know I don't need to try to steer the color wheel through under-coats, so I can just go straight grey-scale all the time. I'm likely to get some other air brush inks come Christmas time, so I can try restarting my other Havocs then before going after my Plague Marines. I am still going to mess around with some other stuff for the Night Lords, but that's going to be more basic and likely to work.
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:43 pm

Briefly shifting focus back over to the Night Lords now that the final bits have shown up. 9/10 have the pauldrons applied already, with just the champion remaining. Of note, the Mk 2 shoulders are designed for arms ever so slightly bigger than the CSM box.

Working on getting the Raptor Champion all nice and magnetized.

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn! - Page 4 Raptors_02_by_planes-d6vj00d
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:13 pm

Yet more ADD project time! Bounced briefly back to the Havocs after a moment of inspiration based off of how much of a pain yellow is to work with, specifically with it's need to have a white undercoat and such. I took one of my first batch of Green Satin primed Havocs, and gave it two quick and thin coats of Flash Gitz Yellow with the hopes that the dark green underneath would bugger with it. Mission more or less accomplished, but the yellow seemed to be a bit too thin, pooling in places. After a quick date with the hair dryer, I gave it one and a half coats of Greenshade wash, and got a color of green I'm quite happy with, even if it doesn't read worth a damn in the photo. It's more or less the hue of green I was shooting for in the first place. Now I just need to fine tune my mix on the yellow when spraying and I should be set.

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn! - Page 4 Havok_09_by_planes-d6vntsp

Wouldn't be surprised in the least if the everything will read better once some metallic trim gets put on, cameras are silly like that.
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:54 pm

Trying out some of the new supplies I got for Christmas. I have to say, I am enjoying this new white primer I got. It's formulated to go straight into the airbrush as-is, saves so much hassle. Just a shame that white makes that seem pop out as hard as it does.

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn! - Page 4 White_prime_by_planes-d6zjz4o
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Paz Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:48 am

So many mold lines!
Paz
Paz
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:07 am

Yeah, it's unfortunate. I had thought that I had gotten rid of all of them, but the priming has shown me otherwise.
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:34 pm

So I have started work on some Daemon allies now, namely with my "Crab Grinder". Pro tip for anyone thinking about striping a Heldrake at some point: don't. All those tight small spaces between the Chaos Barding (for lack of a better term) refuse to let a tooth brush achieve any effect on said spaces, even with over a day of soaking in undiluted Simple Green. Had to bust out cotton swabs and then my hobby knife to get into all those recesses. Not a terribly enjoyable process.

Crab based Soul Grinder is the general goal here, using a mix of Heldrake, Soul Grinder, and Plasticard, along with other miscellaneous supplies. Still doing a bit of tuning on the hight to make sure the guns sit at the correct elevation. This will be my Nurgle one, with parts left over potentially going into a Slaanesh one.

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn! - Page 4 Crab_grinder_01_by_planes-d703zie
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:10 pm

I had to trim the plastic tube I was using (the core from a spool of receipt paper) a bit to have it cleanly fit into the hole in the center of the Soul Grinder's chassis. Since the gap was there anyway, I took this as an opportunity to build in more detail into the model. Some plasticard tube and Green Stuff helps to give the general effect of an exposed spine that Nurgle models are so fond of, or at least as much of a spine a vertical drive shaft can have.

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn! - Page 4 Crab_grinder_02_by_planes-d708paf
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:21 pm

Starting to look more crab-like now. I knew I'd eventually find a use for that dozer blade!

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn! - Page 4 Crab_grinder_03_by_planes-d709v4m
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:51 pm

Ranged weapons are ready to go now. Harvester Cannon and Phlegm Bombardment.

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn! - Page 4 Crab_grinder_04_by_planes-d70eknj
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:04 pm

Short of gluing limbs into place, this guy is pretty much built at this point. I am going to wait to glue the arms and legs on until after painting, given how much fun I've had trying to paint around extremities in the past.

Oddly enough, the cutting board I am using is roughly the same size as the base that comes with the kit.

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn! - Page 4 Crab_grinder_05_by_planes-d70jh7i

Launching into the Plague Drones now, prime everything at once that way.
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:37 pm

Also working on some Daemonic Anglerfish to use as Plague Drones for the army. Figured this would be as good as time as any to try out magnet-nail stands.

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn! - Page 4 Daemon_fish_01_by_planes-d7285sl
Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn! - Page 4 Daemon_fish_02_by_planes-d7285zy
Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn! - Page 4 Daemon_fish_03_by_planes-d72863y
Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn! - Page 4 Daemon_fish_stand_01_by_planes-d72864w
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:00 pm

First shot is a bit blurry, but all the important stuff is in there still. First fish is fully assembled, with room to play with yet on the basing. The shell is actually functional on this base, as this guy is a bit rear-heavy. Second fish is curing in the basement at the moment, and the magnet has been placed further back to account for the balance issues.

Should I have a Nurgling popping out of the shell, do you guys think?

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn! - Page 4 Daemon_fish_04_by_planes-d72m8f8
Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn! - Page 4 Daemon_fish_05_by_planes-d72m8j3
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:35 pm

Getting some Chaos Terminators put together for the playoffs. On the right is a dude I'm hoping to use both as a Captain for when I run the 5 man squad, and as a regular termy lord when I'm not. On the left, I'm doing some magnetizing for the choice of Bolter/Axe, Bolter/Claw, Dual Claw. Man, that Raptors box is a freaking bits gold mine.

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn! - Page 4 Chaos_termies_01_by_planes-d731ng0
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:27 pm

And a Reaper Autocannon for the squad.

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn! - Page 4 Reaper_auto_by_planes-d7326s3
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:24 pm

Got around to doing some more work on my Night Lords. On the left is where Blue + Red = Green with my test blend of some of my new Christmas paints. Beautiful shade of green, but not the hue I was shooting for. On the right I went back to the Tamiya line, as I knew it behaved the way I needed it too. Much detail work is still required.

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn! - Page 4 Night_lords_colours_by_planes-d746bg2
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:54 pm

Got some work on on my Chaos Terminators tonight. Decided to try out some quick and dirty value painting, so I primed black, hit mid-to-high in the front arc with grey, then just high in the front arc with Pallid Witch Flesh, all via air brush.

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn! - Page 4 Termies_01_by_planes-d74ba8d

After that, I busted out the only brand of paint I hadn't tried yet from the Christmas batch (thankfully marked "transparent" on the bottle), and slapped a coat on. Rather pleasant shade of green, I think.

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn! - Page 4 Termies_02_by_planes-d74bae2

Finally, at least for tonight, I tried to half-arse some stenciling on them for a bit of effect, but it seems that with all the pokey bits everywhere, I can't get in close enough for it to be worth a damn, at least for having a hard edge on one side of the effect. If nothing else, it will add some texture and variety to the squad.

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn! - Page 4 Termies_03_by_planes-d74bahj
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Aegwymourn Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:05 am

The only way I've found to create a stencil on infantry based models is by using "blue-tack" to mask off the portions you don't want to hit. However with the amount of time that consumes you are almost better just painting by hand.

The model has to be fairly large so you can get a big enough clear section for most airbrush stencils to be worth anything (basically vehicles). Even large monstrous creatures have to much detail/curvature for it to work.
Aegwymourn
Aegwymourn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:26 pm

If nothing else, these guys are only one colour shy of three colour minimum now, and that will be fixed this afternoon.
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:12 pm

It seems I dropped the Decimator build into the wrong thread. Oh well, the rest of the uploads can go here.

Got the body of the sarcophagus built up now, along with bridging a number of minor gaps. Once the Milli/GS blend cures over night I can go back and put on the chaos trim with some more GS.

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn! - Page 4 Decimator_03_by_planes-d7s0cf0
Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn! - Page 4 Decimator_04_by_planes-d7s0ch6
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum