Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Traitor Guard and their Traitor Marine Lords

5 posters

Go down

Traitor Guard and their Traitor Marine Lords Empty Traitor Guard and their Traitor Marine Lords

Post  Decius Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:55 pm

Coming back from Winnipeg, Ben and I were thinking about a traitor guard list I could make.

I used 2 formations from the Cadian Battlegroup Detachment (but I'm not actually taking that Decurion style detachment) and the Wolves Unleashed Detachment form the Space Wolf Codex.

Here is the list, tell me what you think.

Primary Detachment
Emperor's Blade Assault Company - 835

80 - Company Command Squad with 4 Grenade Launchers - Warlord
100 - Veteran Squad with Shotgun Sarge and 3 Meltaguns
100 - Veteran Squad with Shotgun Sarge and 3 Flamers
55 - Chimera with Multilaser and Heavy Flamer
125 - Hellhound with Heavy Flamer

Infantry Platoon - 270
(The solo platoon formation from the Cadian Battlegroup)
25 - Priest with Laspistol, CCW
50 - Platoon Command Squad with 4 Flamers
65 - Infantry Squad with Power Axe Sarge

The Wolves Unleashed Detachment - 620
60 - Rune Priest
60 - Rune Priest
60 - Rune Priest
60 - Rune Priest
190 - Grey Hunters with CCWs and 2 Plasmaguns

Special Rules
- All models in the Assault Company gain Objective Secured and Preferred Enemy against targets within 6" of an Objective Marker.
- The Priest gives Zealot to the squad he joins.
- Each Space Wolf unit may Outflank on a 6+. If the unit is a Troop with an Independent Character attached, the roll becomes 4+. Combines well with Acute Senses, which lets me re-roll to table side they arrive from.

Strategy/Tactics
- Assault Company Commander is my warlord, and 5 of the Guard warlord traits will do him good. One grants outflank to 1d3 units, two is Preferred Enemy (Codex Choice), three lets units 12" away ignore tests for 25% casualties, five and six make him better at orders, and four is basically a dud.
- Let the enemy get close to objectives, then blast them back off with Preferred Enemy, Guard Orders  (ignores cover, Monster/Tank Hunter) and some Divination stuff from an attached Rune Priest (more ignores cover, re-roll to-hit, Misfortune).
- The regular Platoon becomes an unruly mob when merged and joined by the Ministorum Priest and a Rune Priest. The Ministorum Priest's Hymms can give himself Smash, the unit re-roll to wound, or give the unit re-roll on armour/invulnerable saves (roll each assault phase).

Questions

It's currently 25 points shy of 1750. What should I add/change?

What should the Rune Priests have: Axe, Sword, or Staff?

Am I right in assuming that I can simply take the Cadian Battlegroup Formations willy-nilly, without needing to combine them as part of the Cadian Battlegroup Detachment? I'll naturally miss out on the "Decurion-style" command buffs, but I'll be happy if I can still take the formations.

The priest's unit entry says that "each Astra Militarum Detachment can take 0-3 Ministorum Priests." Does that conflict with the rules for formations?
Decius
Decius
Servitor

Back to top Go down

Traitor Guard and their Traitor Marine Lords Empty Re: Traitor Guard and their Traitor Marine Lords

Post  Roland Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:07 pm

Don't think you can take Infantry platoon solo. Doesnt have a formation of its own, so youd have to take the shield platoon
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Traitor Guard and their Traitor Marine Lords Empty Re: Traitor Guard and their Traitor Marine Lords

Post  Decius Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:37 pm

The second image shows an Infantry Platoon as an auxiliary formation, just above the super heavy formation.
Decius
Decius
Servitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Spamus Eatus Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:04 pm

It's a legit army, just made with mashed together formations, and super duper thematic if done properly!
Spamus Eatus
Spamus Eatus
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:14 pm

Sorry guys, it's not legit.

No dataslate= no formation. It's just like the scout detachment from Dark Angels or Deathmarks in Necron decurion.

Your best bet is to make the platoon into a Company Cmd and 2 Vets for a mini CAD.
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Decius Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:38 am

I think I see what you mean now. The cadian battlegroup lists an infantry platoon with the formations, but that doesn't make it a formation. It just refers the player to the AM book, which is a troop choice, not a formation. Drat.

I'll post an updated version when I can. I'll probably just lose the assault company and fold every guard model into a single CAD, which will cost me the preferred enemy and obsec on a few models, but keep the list almost identical.
Decius
Decius
Servitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhaevyn Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:23 pm

i like the idea of picking up a bunch or rune priests to make your guard blobs fearless.

army is not far from legal, just have to find enough points for a cheap hq and bring an allied detachment of guard.

only creitique i might have is that you might find yourself fighting something av 13/14 or high toughness and your highest strength in the army is the plasma on the grey hunters?
Rhaevyn
Rhaevyn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerBalls Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:12 pm

And a buttload of meltas.
GingerBalls
GingerBalls
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhaevyn Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:16 pm

derp. for whatever reason i was seeing flamers.

ignore that comment, i fully approve of melta saturation
Rhaevyn
Rhaevyn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Decius Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:19 pm

Few minor changes to make it legal.

Rolled all the guardsmen into a single CAD. The commander and the hellhounds lose objective scured, but the unruly rabble gains it, so thats kinda a wash. I'll miss having preferred enemy on my vets, but I'd rather have a legal army. :p

Astra Militatum Combined Arms Detachement - 1105
80 - Company Command Squad with 4 Grenade Launchers - Warlord
100 - Veteran Squad with Shotgun Sarge and 3 Flamers

Infantry Platoon
25 - Priest with Laspistol, CCW
50 - Platoon Command Squad with 4 Flamers

The Wolves Unleashed Detachment - 620
60 - Rune Priest
60 - Rune Priest
60 - Rune Priest
60 - Rune Priest

I'm still 25 points shy of 1750, not sure what to add.

I'm thinking axes for the rune priests, since they're just initiative 4.
Decius
Decius
Servitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:23 pm

This is feeling very 13th Co/Lost and the Fanned-ish. I like that.
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhaevyn Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:38 pm

find 10 points by swapping one unit of grey hunters to Melta and throwing them into a Drop pod.
Rhaevyn
Rhaevyn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down