Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

an odd combination of attacks wiped out new necrons easily.

4 posters

Go down

an odd combination of attacks wiped out new necrons easily. Empty an odd combination of attacks wiped out new necrons easily.

Post  dusktiger Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:50 am

so i was reading this one bat rep a ravenwing player posted against necrons, and he came across a surprising combination that did rather well for him.  honestly, i think most people would have missed this because of how useless Blind tests tend to be for most armies.

I played a very heavy black knight ravenwing list and had master of ambush.  I infiltrated a large full 10 man black knight squad with an interrogator chaplain on a bike with the mace of redemption, as well as a RW command squad with ravenwing banner (auto hit and run), behind them was another RW Command squad with a librarian with a Powerfield and the Feel No Pain banner that I scouted up to be within range of the infiltrators.
-snip-
...now, I still have 2 RW grenade launchers on the black knight squad with the chaplain that didn't jink.  The other squads did jink, so they can only snapfire.  I use the chaplain squad to re-engage his deathstar (large warrior unit with overlord and orikan) and hit him with a stasis grenade and plasma talons.  He makes all his cover + RP saves, but once i get into combat I realize something.  He was previously blinded, and blinded gives you a set WS and BS of 1, not just snap firing.  I had also hit him with a stasis grenade, which lowers his WS by 1, he is now at WS 0 for the whole squad, meaning I autohit him with all my attacks and he can't hit back.  I now easily kill half the squad and sweeping advance the rest of his deathstar.
-snip-
FOUR auto-hitting S5 rending attacks per model.
-snip-
I didn't mention in the original post but that same squad I hit with a rad grenade as well, so each of the autohitting S5 rending hits was also wounding on a +2 because of the debuffed toughness to 3!!

It also makes the rift cannon on a dark talon a bit better, as you can fairly easily line up a black knight/RW command squad to shoot and charge against what the dark talon shoots at.  You can even stasis grenade the squad the dark talon will be shooting first to increase the chance they will fail the initiative test from blind on the rift cannon.
-snip-
this lead into a discussion of how does this work on vehicles you wish to assault, because they're counted as WS1 when assaulted.

one of the members posted his findings looking it up in the book:
Page 9 is pretty clear, auto hit on WS zero, and I cant find anything that says your not stuck at 1

The rule I have on Vehicles is "Accordingly all Vehicles are treated as being Weapon Skill 1"  unless they're immobilized. p78 brb so I guess its 1, -1, again 0 

Wish I'd caught this before, its huge on vehicle assaults
dusktiger
dusktiger
Lord of Titan

http://dusktigers-den.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

an odd combination of attacks wiped out new necrons easily. Empty Re: an odd combination of attacks wiped out new necrons easily.

Post  Aegwymourn Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:49 pm

Alas set modifiers are last. So against the 'crons they are still WS 1 due to Blind being a set modifier. (WS-1 to 3 then set to 1)

I'd have to look into it more for vehicles though.
Aegwymourn
Aegwymourn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

an odd combination of attacks wiped out new necrons easily. Empty Re: an odd combination of attacks wiped out new necrons easily.

Post  Roland Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:13 pm

I usually take Conversion Fields on my librarians (on a successful invulnerable, they take a blind test)

You want to guess how many time Necrons (or Orks for that matter) have failed?Smile

And Tom's correct modifier/then set values. Massed blind tests may do something.... Maybe.
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:57 pm

Necrons have an App for That™.
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down