Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help this n00b out! (Crypteks in Close Combat)

5 posters

Go down

Help this n00b out!  (Crypteks in Close Combat) Empty Help this n00b out! (Crypteks in Close Combat)

Post  Lore Weaver Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:35 pm

Hey,

So, lets say I have a unit of 10 warriors and a Cryptek

The Cryptek is a "Character" but not an independant character and has unique gear. He joins the unit at the begining of the game.

Specifically, "Before the battle, each member of the Royal Court has the option of being split off from his unit and assigned to lead a different unit from the following list: Warriors, Immortals, Lychguard, or Deathmarks. Only one member of the Royal Court can join each unit in this manner."

A Cryptek (or Lord) is unit type, "Infantry (Character)"

So... They get charged in combat. Does the dude who's in base-to-base contact with the Cryptek hit only him, or does the Cryptek count as part of the unit and therefore gets wounds allocated to him? If no one's in base-to-base contact with the Cryptek, can no-one hit him? (I imagine that's unlikely...).
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Help this n00b out!  (Crypteks in Close Combat) Empty Re: Help this n00b out! (Crypteks in Close Combat)

Post  Spamus Eatus Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:46 pm

Best way to treat him is like a Wolf Guard joining some Grey Hunters. He is now permanently part of the unit he is assigned to, and can't be picked out. I think the designation "character" is a new thing for upcoming 6th. There is ''Independent Characters" and "Characters" now it seems.
Spamus Eatus
Spamus Eatus
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Help this n00b out!  (Crypteks in Close Combat) Empty Re: Help this n00b out! (Crypteks in Close Combat)

Post  Rhaevyn Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:35 pm

unfortunately (for the rest of us) i think Spammus has the right of it. You get to play both sides of the fence on this one. Hes not an "independant character" so the rules for picking him out don't apply. However, he is a "Character" and gets a separate roll for reanimation protocals and ever-living.

For me, i think GW screwed this one up. if hes "leading" the unit like a sarge, and we cant pick him out. then he should go down with his unit and not be able to stand up after the warriors or immortals are wiped out.

Personally, the necron FAQ/Q&A cant come soon enough.
Rhaevyn
Rhaevyn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Veyure Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:48 pm

There is no problem here as I see it. Firstly, "Character" has been around before. I may be mistaken but in the Eldar dex the Exarchs are called characters, as are the aspiring champions in the chaos book. (May be previous edition). Giving a different special rule to a seargent is nothing new.

In the cryptek's (or lord's) case, the ever living rule is what allows him to live beyond the life of the squad. That is why the rule is there. You can't compare that situation to the wolf guard as the wolf guard don't stand up after they are wounded. It's not even posible to say its broken either, as he has 1 wound and can no longer join a different unit as he is not "Independent Character".
Veyure
Veyure
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:24 pm

Id say thats exactly right.. if hes not an independent character.. he cant be targeted.

He still has to have wounds allocated normally to him of course.. but otherwise hes safe hiding in there.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down