Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vehicles shooting/choosing targets

4 posters

Go down

Vehicles shooting/choosing targets Empty Vehicles shooting/choosing targets

Post  Matthew G Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:32 am

I have a question,

1) Blood Angel Baal predators. T-L Assault cannon turret (defensive wpn), 2 side mounted heavy flamers (defensive wpns also)
a) Since the side flamers auto hit targets, how would the predator choose to attack a unit?
- would it target the unit as normal, or could both side turrets target different units?

I am trying to determine if its worth while putting side mounted flamers on my predator or if only 1 side weapon would only be used at a time due to vehicle positioning...? Like, could 1 flamer attack a unit on the left side of the pred, and the other flamer target a unit on the right side of the pred... that kinda thing..

Sorry if this post is unclear, im having a hard time wording this question on the board here.

Thanks
Matthew G
Matthew G
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Vehicles shooting/choosing targets Empty Re: Vehicles shooting/choosing targets

Post  Justin Buhler Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:53 pm

I once drew this problem out on graph paper using the measurements of the Predator and Land Raider to figure out the smallest possible distance a single model needed to be from the front of the middle of the vehicle to be hit by both side sponsons. It turns out the answer was 5" for the Predator and 6" for the Land Raider. Now if memory serves a flame template is approximately 6" (correct?) and if so then it seems reasonable to presume a single target 5" away from the Predator's center should be able to be hit by both sponsons. A model with a big base should probably be visible from as close as 4" provided most of it breaks the 5" mark. Mind you, if you're close enough to be using the side flamers the unit is probably large enough that it spans the entire front of the Predator, in which case they should be able to hit at least some models. I'd recommend using the sponsons first though, then resolving the Predator's main gun. Course, I could be entirely out to lunch on this (since I have been with rules before) so maybe wait and see what others say. Best of luck.

Justin
Justin Buhler
Justin Buhler
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:24 am

Your pretty much screwed for one flame turret at all times if you have flame sponsons. You cant target a different unit with them. When you fire a template wepaon, you have to position the weapon in such a way as to maximize hits on the target unit, if you cant hit the target unit, you cant fire. However, if your hitting a mob of nids of orks, they will probably spread wide enough out you can fire both sponsons.

Yes, it sucks but thems the rules. Maybe 5th will be different but I havent heard rules to change it.

Last edited by System Commander on Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:04 am; edited 2 times in total
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Lord_Commander_Stash Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:01 am

Yep flamer sponsons aren't so great...
I always figured that sponsons should be able to defensive fire in some way since you would think a flamer would be to "clean" off assaulting infantry Razz
Lord_Commander_Stash
Lord_Commander_Stash
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down