Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wrecked vehicles...

4 posters

Go down

Wrecked vehicles... Empty Wrecked vehicles...

Post  Guest Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:38 pm

I can't seem to find any answer to this question other then "it becomes terrain", which i find unsatisfactory...

Wrecked vehicles are sitting on the field, burning and smoldering, a direct hit to the engine or whatever, but the explosive payload of the vehicle hasn't detonated. Why wouldn't wasting a turn (or another unit's shooting) to attempt to clear the wrecked model, then opening yourself up to counter fire, hitting it and aiming for a destroyed result be a problem?

Or should i be petitioning GW to consider this?

Back to top Go down

Wrecked vehicles... Empty Re: Wrecked vehicles...

Post  System Commander Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:55 am

Nope, unless you get a 6 on the destroyed chart to make it explode, it sits there and still blocks line of sight as if was alive.

They've never incorporated a rule in the book that allows you to shoot at a destroyed vehicle (effectivley terrain).

I'll double check the 5 ed. rulebook just to make sure they havent changed anything, but you havent been able to do this for the past couple of editions.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:46 pm

Poacher wrote:I can't seem to find any answer to this question other then "it becomes terrain", which i find unsatisfactory...

Wrecked vehicles are sitting on the field, burning and smoldering, a direct hit to the engine or whatever, but the explosive payload of the vehicle hasn't detonated. Why wouldn't wasting a turn (or another unit's shooting) to attempt to clear the wrecked model, then opening yourself up to counter fire, hitting it and aiming for a destroyed result be a problem?

Or should i be petitioning GW to consider this?

You'll never get the answer you want. You should never try and use real world practical explanation to try to justify or alter a rule. The game rules are just there for balance and playability. Why else would a rifle only have a 24" effective range. Isn't a "Sniper" Rifle 3 or four feet? Not enough for the game scale.

Now having said that tanks DO NOT explode into a puff of smoke. Removing battlefield debris like AFV's is a long, dangerous, and difficult job. Tanks just don't get detonated, they have to be hauled off, any unspent fuel or undetonated ordinance must be carefully handled. Like defusing a bomb, except the bomb may have been burning for hours. My grandfathers best friend in WWII was killed by a snapping chain hauling a dead Panzer out of a ditch. Took his head clean off. It's still one of the most dangerous jobs today, and even at the wierd tech level of 40k nobody is gonna be removing vehicles during the course of a battle. But that's not the point. When playing the game just realize that reality has to come far behind the race with fun and playability.
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:57 pm

Well, i was trying for for a marriage of game and reality actually, detonating ordinance in the hope of getting lower profile of difficult terrain. By no means thinking "Let's just get that vindicator over here and hook that chain up." Undoubtedly stupid.

But thanks for your consideration.

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:04 pm

Poacher wrote:Well, i was trying for for a marriage of game and reality actually, detonating ordinance in the hope of getting lower profile of difficult terrain. By no means thinking "Let's just get that vindicator over here and hook that chain up." Undoubtedly stupid.

But thanks for your consideration.

Hey, easy now.
gluvzer
gluvzer
Lord of Titan/Hero of ToonCon/Ayatollah of Rock n' Rolla
Lord of Titan/Hero of ToonCon/Ayatollah of Rock n' Rolla

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:40 pm

Poacher,

I hope you didn't think I was flamin' you. It just genuinely sounded to me from your post that you thought vehicles just went poof. I haven't met you so for all I know you're like 12 or something, and maybe that's how you thought vehicles assploded.

For combining realism and gameplay the result of 6 on the table that removes the vehicle in a horrifying explosion is the oddity, with everything else keeping a little more in sync with the way armored combat goes down. blown track linkage, hit to the transmission, blown fuel pump, catastrophic jam, barrel fatigue etc. or the 40k equivalents.

So didn't mean to ruffle your eFeathers there tiger, hope you have fun on this board and in the league. So far I am undefeated in 5th edition!

Peace and Soul,

Scott "Panzer Tactics" Radom
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Administratum Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:50 pm

Robyn usually handles these things, but im going to lend a hand before it gets worse.

To the causal observer, one would think that going undefeated in 5th edition was quite an achievement. However if you delve a little further into the matter you will find that Scott has not actually played a game since the release of 5th edition. Despite this he knows the rules, and has a superior understanding of the intricacies of tabletop games.
He is also a grey knight, and the resident master of all things related to fantasy. He is one of the main organizers and motivational figures behind the scenes of both fantasy and 40k, and his efforts have helped make both games the success that they are.

Flaming on the hunters board is until now unheard of. We are a rather small community, and all know each other fairly well, and do our best to get along. I am being totally impartial when i say that new members to the group should take some time to get acclimatised to the group dynamics, and the individual personalities before they start posting. They say that 90+ percent of communication is done with body language, so the possibility of misinterpreting what someone says is high.
I think that there was a legitimate misunderstanding here, and im sure there will be no long term animosity. I am however going to lock this thread down.

Administratum
Inquisitor Lord

https://huntersofthewarp.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down