Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mass Blood Angels WIP and paint along

+6
Veyure
Administratum
gluvzer
System Commander
Paz
ScottRadom
10 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Mass Blood Angels WIP and paint along - Page 2 Empty Re: Mass Blood Angels WIP and paint along

Post  Guest Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:13 pm

Looks great, though I nearly fell out of my chair. I dunno, to me it looks like he's trying to figure out what the hell is happening to his sword.

^_^

Back to top Go down

Mass Blood Angels WIP and paint along - Page 2 Empty Re: Mass Blood Angels WIP and paint along

Post  System Commander Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:38 pm

Instead of starting up a new Blood Angel dude, I instead opted to keep workong on some daemon stuff. Thats the bad news.. the good news though is that I did some painting.. woo hoo!
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Mass Blood Angels WIP and paint along - Page 2 Empty some test bases

Post  Administratum Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:03 am

I have been messing around with the idea of a city where the slaughter was on such an epic scale that it was literally flooded with blood. My first 3 prototypes cutting out and sinking bases and then using tinted resin. I think i still have allot to learn, and comments, crits and advice welcome.

Mass Blood Angels WIP and paint along - Page 2 038
Mass Blood Angels WIP and paint along - Page 2 039
Mass Blood Angels WIP and paint along - Page 2 043
Mass Blood Angels WIP and paint along - Page 2 044

Administratum
Inquisitor Lord

https://huntersofthewarp.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Veyure Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:51 am

Im not very experienced with bases, but it looks pretty good cam. are you looking to get a still wet and flowing look or a dried look? they have the dried blood look currently. i think the wet blood everywhere would look pretty awesome, but i don't know how to achieve that effect. maybe that water effect stuff that you can buy.
Veyure
Veyure
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Mass Blood Angels WIP and paint along - Page 2 Empty awesome

Post  Commander James of the Ul Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:47 am

ya the base's aren't done yet I think. But the paint job is kick ass. Are you trying to get a job at G.W. I don't want to battle this because I would spend to much bloody time looking at the paint job lol

Commander James of the Ul
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:54 am

That's nice stuff Paz. Why don't you walk through the red paint tech you used?

Cam, I like the bases. Nothing much more to add.
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Administratum Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:39 am

thanks for the input Greg, if i decide to go with this idea it will require allot more work.

Administratum
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Paz Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:13 am

Cam= Interesting! I would suggest lowering the amount of red you add to the resin to a very fine amount. It would look cool tinted red, but see-throughable, to show off the skulls and such.

Scott=
1.I start with a 2:1:1 mix of scab red, bestial brown, and mechrite red, with a dab of snot green as a comp. color to bring down the vibrancy of the reds.
2. i wash the armor with a watered down 1:1 mix of badab black and Baal red washes.
3. using progressively lighter colors, I layer in dwarf flesh, until I get a layer that's about 1:1 base color and flesh
4. Add a drop of skull white to the flesh, and voila!
Paz
Paz
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Administratum Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:11 pm

Thanks Scott

Yea, i agree that i added too much paint to the resin. The stuff i have is not ideal either. I looked at the package and it said since 1864... i mean tradition is good, but im guessing that resin has come a long way in the last 150 years. These were tests though, and there is allot that could be improved. Having the resin sloshed all over the base edges looks crappy, as well as on the concrete. Too much paint, and the way i cut the tops of the bases out looks pretty rough as well. Im not really sure if the idea is worth the effort i would have to put in to make it look truly pro. That and resin is damn expensive and a serious pain in the ass to work with. Think i might try some other ideas.

Administratum
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Paz Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:16 pm

Cam= Yeah, you have to weigh the time required to make the bases and time spent on the figs.

More updates! I added some scratches and wear+tear to the armor, and some gold and such.

Mass Blood Angels WIP and paint along - Page 2 P1020471

Mass Blood Angels WIP and paint along - Page 2 P1020472

Mass Blood Angels WIP and paint along - Page 2 P1020470

Mass Blood Angels WIP and paint along - Page 2 P1020469

Mass Blood Angels WIP and paint along - Page 2 P1020468
Paz
Paz
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Administratum Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:50 pm

looks amazing man

Administratum
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:58 pm

Looks very nice. I need to work on my painting skills!

Back to top Go down

Post  Paz Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:30 am

Thanks guys! I have really been experimenting with colors and weathering. Lotsa work to do, but making weathering more realistic is tough!
Paz
Paz
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:50 am

Sweet fig Paz. I like the sword alot

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:03 am

Nice stuff Paz. How about a walk through on the mini so far? Maybe how you came to your red and how you're doing the weathering?
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Paz Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:31 pm

I was gunna type out a long winded explanation, but I thought a visual might help. Heres how I did the armor and weathering.

argh! the screen cuts off the image! Heres a link

As to how I got the idea? Well,, I really didn't want to use orange to highlight, as that makes the armor really bright. Pink doesn't work either, too... pink. So I used a middle ground, beige. It has enough orange to be bright, like skin, but enough white to keep the tones cool, like skin as well
Paz
Paz
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:18 pm

i wont comment because all of my praise would spam up the forums Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post  jhare Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:12 am

Hi Paz,

Any chance of posting a tutorial on your true scale conversions? I've seen a lot of them online but was curious what technique you were using. I've had a chance to see the new blood angles models over here (Yea, GW Stores have both samples and the codex and the next WD two weeks at least early to build hype, I'm spoiled). Anyway, from what I've read of the codex I'd suggest stocking up on dreadnoughts since you can have like 20 or 25 in an army list. I think one of them counts as a troop choice and another as an HQ. Anyway, the figures look great but as a player I'm also pissed that they aren't releasing any more space hulk figs. That seems really silly to me. Thoughts?

Also anyone tried incorporating vampire counts into this army (I've heard rumors that Space Wolves were wear-wolfs and Blood Angles were Vampires as a background theme thing....)

J
jhare
jhare
Mystic

http://www.jamesedwardhare.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Veyure Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:20 am

The vampire thing probably comes from the fact that they drink the blood of their primarch as part activating the genesead. They don't however seek out and drink the blood of their enemies. That's probably more an idea from someone wanting to make 40k into fantasy.
Veyure
Veyure
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Terran Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:13 pm

Veyure wrote:The vampire thing probably comes from the fact that they drink the blood of their primarch as part activating the genesead. They don't however seek out and drink the blood of their enemies. That's probably more an idea from someone wanting to make 40k into fantasy.

I was always under the impression that the Red Thirst was part of their flaw, and that it drove them to try and consume blood. But I must admit I have not read that much Blood Angels background, so I could have it wrong.
Terran
Terran
Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post  Paz Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:29 pm

regan= the red thirst is a need to "spill" blood, not drink it, though I imagine that may be part of it. Think totally insane person who is in the grips of utter despair and rage, trying to get sweet revenge for his primarch, not vampire actively thirsting for blood. Only Mr. mephiston is rumored to be vampiric.
Paz
Paz
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Veyure Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:36 pm

The flaw is said to be present from when horus struck down sanginius before the emperor was able to destroy him. It's said the anguish of that event is eternally imprinted on the BA through the connection through the primarch's blood. Every battle draws out a rememberance of that horrible event and sometimes it drives the marines mad with grief so they begin hallucinating that they are fighting that epic battle themselves.

at least that's how i remember it. been a while since i've read that particular story.
Veyure
Veyure
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:17 pm

sanguines and rogel dorn the emporer and a bunch o custodes and sm telepoted onto hourses battle barge. saungines teleporter mist placed him in front of hours who killed him, in the ensuing battle nut he nicked off the armour at his neck and if sanguines had not done that hours would have killed the emporer.

Back to top Go down

Post  Veyure Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:31 pm

Ben you gotta proof read, your spelling was aweful and tough to figure out.
the nick in the armour is a "some say" type of rumour. The emperor used his psychic might to defeat horus and Horus did destroy the emperor btw:

"The Emperor and Horus fought with a power that would have eviscerated any mortal man dozens of times over with each blow. The Emperor held back for much of the battle, remembering Horus as his beloved son and not wishing to believe that he had turned so utterly to Chaos. This allowed Horus to inflict crippling mortal wounds on the Emperor, since nothing short of the Emperor's full power would be sufficient to defeat him. At the critical point in the battle, a lone Adeptus Custode guard entered the room. Horus flayed him alive with but a look and in that instant the Emperor realized how far his favored son had fallen. The sacrifice of the Custodian bought the Emperor time to deliver a finishing blow to Horus. With iron resolve, he gathered his full strength and delivered a massive psychic blow that killed Horus almost instantly and obliterated his very soul. In his final moments, the powers of Chaos were driven from him and the Emperor sensed his favored son's return to sanity for a fraction of a second before he finally died."
Veyure
Veyure
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:09 pm

The Emporer's not dead. He's on life support!
gluvzer
gluvzer
Lord of Titan/Hero of ToonCon/Ayatollah of Rock n' Rolla
Lord of Titan/Hero of ToonCon/Ayatollah of Rock n' Rolla

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next