Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Greetings 'n stuff! (Joining, Armies, Man o'War, etc)

+2
Paz
sewerstalker
6 posters

Go down

Greetings 'n stuff!  (Joining, Armies, Man o'War, etc) Empty Greetings 'n stuff! (Joining, Armies, Man o'War, etc)

Post  Guest Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:50 pm

New Voxcast? That took me forever to find that button!

Hey, I'm new here. I haven't played in over 10 years, I started in 2nd ed and was around when 3rd came out, but not long after that. (Seems I'm not the only one getting back into it)

I have an Eldar army and a Tyranid army (yes, with the ugly old warriors, and the awesome metal carnifex).

They're all painted so I'm thinking of starting something new - I have orks and Marines form the old days around, I was thinking Space Wolves or possibly the orks.

I have a questions...

What's the best way to get playing with you guys? I take it the league is mid-season? Can people join in mid way or no? Is there much chance for a pick-up game now and then? I stopped by the turnament last week, which is what convinced me to actually get back into this, but I wasn't able to play because all my stuff's still in storage in Calgary (I'll be retieving it next weekend).

What are the most/least common armies? I hate doing the same thing everyone else does Smile Do any armies suck so bad I should steer clear? Necron look fun, but I'd be starting from scratch, so I think I'll go with something I have a start in... first.

I'm grateful to anyone that took the time to read this far! Thank you!

ttyl,
David M

P.S. Is anyone here also into fantasy? Hows that league? I haven't really gotten into it, but I did have a bunch of stuff back in the day - Bretonnians and Lizardmen. Probably not a full army, but a start. It's tempting too.

P.P.S. Does anyone here play Man O' War? I love that game! I got into it just after it went out of print (bought one of the last copies ever sold in Calgary) and I ended up hand crafting complete balsa fleets for almost every race (except chaos). If anyone's interested, I could get it out of storage too...

Back to top Go down

Greetings 'n stuff!  (Joining, Armies, Man o'War, etc) Empty Re: Greetings 'n stuff! (Joining, Armies, Man o'War, etc)

Post  Guest Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:25 pm

Hello and Welcome =)

the best way to make games is to arrange them on the thunderdome forum, people generally hold most games on Wednesday afternoon and evenings. And I beleive you can still sign up for the league (we're only a few weeks in)

As for army composition around here, I would say most common armies include Marines (various types), Tyranids, and then Orks
Least common I would say are Eldar (light and dark)

As for which armies suck, I believe that there is a general consensus that Grey Knights and Necrons have the worst codex,

And your last 2 questions, Ive heard of and seen a little fantasy here, and nothing of Man O' War

Back to top Go down

Greetings 'n stuff!  (Joining, Armies, Man o'War, etc) Empty Re: Greetings 'n stuff! (Joining, Armies, Man o'War, etc)

Post  sewerstalker Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:20 pm

Welcome. As said before the most played armys are marine, nids, orks, guard, and chaos marines. Other wise there are maybe a couple people who play the other armys. I want to here later when u come up with what army u are going to play.

Canadin necrons don't suck!! Lol.
sewerstalker
sewerstalker
Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post  sewerstalker Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:23 pm

Forgot to say for fantsy the forum for Saskatoon is www.raveninghordes.forumakers.com

if u want to starting have some cheap lizardmen.
sewerstalker
sewerstalker
Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:09 pm

ya necrons are ok but get boring fast.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:30 pm

I dunno, I find Necrons havnt been good since they were only a white-dwarf army with less than 10 models back in 3rd Ed. (scarabs were jetbike suicide bombers that hit with a S8 power weapon)

They suffer from bad leadership, overcosted models, and the phaseout rule. I mean the models look really cool, and Monoliths are harder to crack than Baneblades, but the more fancy things like pariahs, C'tan, and monoliths you take, the easier it is for you to be phased out

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:01 pm

Thanks! (to all of you)

It sounds like I'm gonna play Eldar, if not many others do, that's cool. It's also my friends army that he'll be lending me, he hasn't played since back when I did either. So the Eldar'd be new to me, at least from that side of the table...

I'm leaning heavily towards Space Wolves as my "next" army, mostly a painting/collecting project for now... Time and money limits will make that a long term project, I expect.

Orks are still tempting - I had a couple copies of Gorkamorka, and BUNCH of metal stuff I got in some grab bags cheap - but there may be a lot of modding needed to make it enough like the current stuff, especially the trukks - those got bigger.

sewerstalker wrote:Welcome. As said before the most played armys are marine, nids, orks, guard, and chaos marines. Other wise there are maybe a couple people who play the other armys. I want to here later when u come up with what army u are going to play.

Canadin necrons don't suck!! Lol.

Back to top Go down

Post  Paz Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:11 pm

Hey David.
The league is in mid swing, but if you are cool with prolly not getting into the finals, you can still join. Its $5 bucks. Pickup games are available, its just that some players may want league points, which is a problem if you haven't joined.
As for most common armies= Space marines (blood angels, wolves), tyranids and chaos marines are the most common, with IG coming up 4th.
Uncommon armies= Tau, Eldar, Daemons (which is what I play), pure inquisitor forces.

Canadin= While they are not a win button, Tom did finish second in the last league with Necrons. Yeah, terrible. Rolling Eyes

Wanna play an original Ork force? Don't take all boys, its really that easy. I think Orks are able to run out multiple unique armies, its just that a lot of people will play them one style.

As for Man'o'war, no one plays this, to my knowledge. Fantasy does have a group, at the above mentioned "ravening hordes"forum, and Mordheim is running pretty strong here as well.

Welcome to the forums, and to the saskatoon gaming club.
Paz
Paz
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:41 pm

Hah! I haven't played in 10 years and I was no hot $%!^ then, so even if I had started on time the finals would have been a long shot. I'm good with being cannon fodder this time 'round.

I'll have to look through all the Ork's I have - I think I could feild a fully mechanized army...

Wolves are popular? grrr... Oh well, they're the second army I wanted 10 years ago, might as well just go for it. Every 40k needs at least one marine army, right?

Thanks for the reply! You can expect to see me around a week or two...

Paz wrote:Hey David.
The league is in mid swing, but if you are cool with prolly not getting into the finals, you can still join. Its $5 bucks. Pickup games are available, its just that some players may want league points, which is a problem if you haven't joined.
As for most common armies= Space marines (blood angels, wolves), tyranids and chaos marines are the most common, with IG coming up 4th.
Uncommon armies= Tau, Eldar, Daemons (which is what I play), pure inquisitor forces.

Canadin= While they are not a win button, Tom did finish second in the last league with Necrons. Yeah, terrible. Rolling Eyes

Wanna play an original Ork force? Don't take all boys, its really that easy. I think Orks are able to run out multiple unique armies, its just that a lot of people will play them one style.

As for Man'o'war, no one plays this, to my knowledge. Fantasy does have a group, at the above mentioned "ravening hordes"forum, and Mordheim is running pretty strong here as well.

Welcome to the forums, and to the saskatoon gaming club.

Last edited by epengr on Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

Back to top Go down

Post  Terran Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:35 am

Welcome to the forums. It will be nice to see a new face.

I am also an Eldar player, though I am using my blooming Chaos army for the new league. Eldar are definitely not common here, as I was the only player in the last league to use them.
Terran
Terran
Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post  smackman Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:33 am

lolz Paz, I have seen many different ork armies played at the den, besides right in the codex it says, "Ork warbands should ideally outnumber their foes two or even three times over; you'll need a lot of Boyz if you want to win." Although it can get quite boring to play 90+ boyz over and over.

Sucks being out cunnin'd eh?
smackman
smackman
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Paz Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:04 am

you know what I mean Tom.
I'm talkin' Flashgitz, that pirate dude, stormboyz, Ork Psykers, mega nobs, that kinda stuff. I know you have played storm boyz before, but the majority of games I've had against orks, both here and PA, have been:

Nobz. Massed boyz with hidden fist. light vehicles. Killa kans. Big mek. Rinse, repeat. I have faced stormboyz once, and meganobs only in apocalypse.

There are so many cool characters, and cool units that really never appear.
Paz
Paz
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  smackman Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:18 am

That's fair, although I recently switched to a mega nobz heavy force and... wow... earth shattering? three games, opponent gave up on by top of turn 3, all three times they had less then 1/3 of their army remaining, with next to nothing outside of a close combat, mega nobz are fearsome, it's really not a tough list in my opinion but it's been rolling people...
smackman
smackman
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Veyure Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:08 pm

I took out many a mega nob in the pa tournie with a fisted biker. just gotta have that inv save to tak their hits first. having no inv save on the mega orks means power weapons eat em up pretty quick.
Veyure
Veyure
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  smackman Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:57 pm

Gotta play them right greg, aka The Mad Dok, 5+ invul and FnP for everyone Very Happy
smackman
smackman
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:14 pm

Yah, Greg. You tell him Tom!
gluvzer
gluvzer
Lord of Titan/Hero of ToonCon/Ayatollah of Rock n' Rolla
Lord of Titan/Hero of ToonCon/Ayatollah of Rock n' Rolla

Back to top Go down

Post  Veyure Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:05 pm

5+ inv is hardly reliable and FNP does not work against power weapons. So it's still easy to deal with them. Plus the problems that mad dok has with his madness and such.
Veyure
Veyure
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down