Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spring tournament combined with Fantasy

+10
Viserion
Spamus Eatus
System Commander
Dom.0
GingerBalls
Lore Weaver
Paz
Roland
dusktiger
nathanr
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Spring tournament combined with Fantasy Empty Spring tournament combined with Fantasy

Post  nathanr Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:16 pm

Hi guys, I play Warhammer Fantasy and I'm kicking around the idea of putting on a big tournament in the Spring. I'm talking the whole nine yards: renting a big venue and having a two-day 6 round tournament for 30+ people. Something out-of-towners would make the trip for. Such a tournament would probably work best if it included both 40K and Fantasy. Who would I talk to on here to discuss this further?

nathanr
Familiar

Back to top Go down

Spring tournament combined with Fantasy Empty Re: Spring tournament combined with Fantasy

Post  dusktiger Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:43 pm

The main 40k organizers would be Roland, System Commander, Loreweaver, Spamus Eatus.
dusktiger
dusktiger
Lord of Titan

http://dusktigers-den.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Spring tournament combined with Fantasy Empty Re: Spring tournament combined with Fantasy

Post  Roland Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:01 pm

Loreweaver (Mark) and myself (Beau, I think we talked at last years Toon Con) have a few ideas for framework. My job has made any plans difficult to impossible, but I'd be glad to help out.
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Paz Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:51 pm

Us infinity guys might be interested in taking part in something like this
Paz
Paz
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:52 pm

I had looked into an event at one of the Leisure Centres (Cosmo, but would work at any of them)

Best bang for buck is to rent a gym. Room for approx 60-70 4x6 tables. For a Sat/Sun event I'd think 30-40 ap eice for WH and 40k. Not sure how realistic that is.

I'd think other game systems as a possibility, such as infinity and warmahordes, flames of War.

I'd have to look thru my emails for pricing.

Main issues were # of tables and terrain. From asking around, assuming ppl chip in, we are looking at maybe 32 tables from 40k (that includes the dens tables and terrain)

Feel free to drop me a line @ suttobs@Yahoo.com
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:08 pm

I'll talk to the Curling Clubs and see about the ice-space, after April they rent it for functions (and they have a bar upstairs!)
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerBalls Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:29 pm

You could even have a sock-hop afterwards.
GingerBalls
GingerBalls
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Dom.0 Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:27 pm

this just sounds epic.
Dom.0
Dom.0
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:53 pm

$1200 for Thursday Evening to Sunday, with access to bar facilities (we'd have to supply permit and product) and access to the kitchen. They also have tables.

Rink area supports 350 people, also has a collapsible stage. Getting potential dates now.
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:48 pm

June 6th, 20th, and 27th. May and July are booked. $100 deposit (which I could eat).
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:55 pm

As Carson can attest to Nathan, we used to run Fantasy/40k events together frequently and it was always a benefit to both games. How often do us 40kers get to see Fantasy armies all together and vice versa.

I think the only hiccup on our end would potentially be numbers. Within 6 months.. we've had a massive drop off of games/events. I think for a big event with some hype and prestige we could defintely count on 20 people for sure, but possibly up to 30.

I'll help out where i can !
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Spamus Eatus Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:20 pm

This is something I could get into. Probably not run, as classes will still be going on but I could kick in!
Spamus Eatus
Spamus Eatus
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Dom.0 Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:01 am

Oh I just came up with a name for this. BATTLE OF THE NEARDS
Dom.0
Dom.0
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Viserion Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:20 am

Notably
Educated
Adults
Rolling
Dice
Society
??????
Viserion
Viserion
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:02 am

Wow, great responses! I might have a line on a less expensive/free venue so I'd like to see how that pans out before anyone puts a deposit down anywhere else.

I think a $40 entry fee would be fine, 4 of us from the Fantasy group just traveled to Edmonton for a sold-out tournament where the entry fee was $60 and there weren't even any prizes. I wouldn't be looking to make a profit on this tournament so any money above and beyond the rental costs could be put into prizes. We might not sell out this year but if the prizes are good enough I think we could make this an event that people look forward to year after year.

nathanr
Familiar

Back to top Go down

Post  dusktiger Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:56 am

A more themed name for the region might be more suited for an event like this. Something that uses one of the city's nicknames maybe?
Bridge City Blitz? Bridge City BlitzCon
dusktiger
dusktiger
Lord of Titan

http://dusktigers-den.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:26 am

Battle Under the Bridge?
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:55 pm

Saskatoon Showdown
Panic on the Prairie

It seems no matter what we are gonna do, we're gonna need some startup $$$ for terrain or moving stuff or a venue.

To help with that, I'm willing to put a 2500 point Ultramarine army (with foam trays and bag) available for auction or raffle or as prize support. I may need a little help to polish it up. Any volunteers?

We could also add to what I have if anyone has models they'd be willing to donate

Includes BF, and a Pack 432
Capt (termie)
Libby (termite)
3 tactical sqds
10 tactical scouts
1 assault squad
1 dev squad
2 rhinos
1 razorback/whirlwind
1 pred
2 dreads (magnetized)
1 speeder
3 terminator sqds (2 tact, 1 assault)
6 bikes

There is room for a vindicator, 2 attack bikes, and 10 jump troop sized infantry in the trays as is.
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Dana Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:45 am

It would be good for the organizers of this Tournament to reach out to the Warhammer communities in Alberta and Manitoba to get feed back on what aspects or features would draw people from those communities to take a weekend off and travel to a tournament. Find out what would be more important to those coming into town for a tournament, prize support, composition rules, balanced missions or more fun unique missions? Things like that.

Also I am willing to volunteer my time for painting or making terrain or anything else that might need some work.

Dana
Dana
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  ShadowDisco Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:45 am

I know clavet hall has a very reasonable price for renting compared to ones in saskatoon it was 375 for two days compared to ones that were min 500 for a day
ShadowDisco
ShadowDisco
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  judchic Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:18 pm

I've got some terrain i could loan (somewhere between 3-5 tables), although its in various stages of assembly and hardly any painted.
judchic
judchic
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:53 pm

judchic wrote:I've got some terrain i could loan (somewhere between 3-5 tables), although its in various stages of assembly and hardly any painted.

I could do a table too.
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Paz Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:53 pm

If infinity joins in, I know we can convince the guys out of edmonton to come down, to add to the total numbers there.
Paz
Paz
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:13 pm

Venue must support improved beverages. "Beer Hammer?" ooooo .... mmmm .... Maybe we can get Prairie Sun or Paddockwood to sponsor a wee-bit?
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:37 pm

Between Dan, Drew and myself we have 4 tables and enough terrain for all of them.
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next