Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SM Q&A

+10
Spamus Eatus
judchic
Gulsnick
Guardian Angel
Planes
Gain
Rhaevyn
gluvzer
Aegwymourn
Lore Weaver
14 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

SM Q&A - Page 3 Empty Re: SM Q&A

Post  System Commander Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:18 pm

Things are looking good for marines. Im thinking about an army.. "thinking"
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:34 pm

Camo Cloaks went down in cost and no longer give the Stealth USR, but give the same effect spelled out, allowing for stacking. That's nifty. Snipers costing points now is annoying for purposes of bookwork, but still an over all cost reduction.
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Aegwymourn Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:03 pm

Burning Blade is even better, only has the chance to go off on turns it is used in close combat.
Aegwymourn
Aegwymourn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhaevyn Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:10 pm

Planes wrote:I'm rather blown away by the fact that the book hasn't even hit shelves yet, and decent scans are already floating around out there.  The laurels around the page numbers are a nice touch.
snagged a rules -only copy this afternoon. its almost flawless.
Rhaevyn
Rhaevyn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:30 pm

Legion of the Damned are rather boss, 30 points less for the base squad, 5 points less per dude, all their gun costs seem to have gone down a significant amount (heavy flameer -20, plasma cannon -15, las cannon -10), and ALL their shooting has the Ignores Cover special rule. Deep Strike in within 12" of a Wave Serpent and say good bye to it, no jink save for you! Lucky scatter would put you in range to bring the full wrath of a regular melta gun to bear, too. Not a bad use of 145 points if you ask me. 155 gets you a combi-melta in there, too.
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Aegwymourn Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:43 pm

haha, crusader squads can still do the special/hvy in a 5 man squad trick. go figure, i can get more gunz on my melee dudes than melee weapons. More than last edition though, so there is that.
Aegwymourn
Aegwymourn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhaevyn Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:42 am

no divination for libbys is the first really important thing i saw.
but now i'm headed to bed Smile
Rhaevyn
Rhaevyn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Gain Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:18 am

Rhaevyn wrote:no divination for libbys is the first really important thing i saw.
but now i'm headed to bed Smile
Tigurius gets divination. along with reroll for all powers when choosing, reroll reserves, Storm of fire warlord trait(essentially one use prescience in the shooting phase) and a hellfire hood that rerolls failed physic tests. all for 165 points.

Normal libbys are wicked cheap though. With two powers terminator armour and a storm shield is only 125 points.
Gain
Gain
Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:07 am

That was the million dollah question.

As a quick update, you can pretty much take the old bookmobile of doom list, but trade the lr for a stormraven. Can also trade the speeders for a single talon.

Trade out the rhino for an aegis or something.
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Aegwymourn Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:32 am

I was terribly excited and then disappointed that ceramite plating was in the vehicle wargear section, but only because it is on stormravens. Was seriously considering it for LRC. 

I'm currently a little confused about Pedro though. He is a Crimson Fist character, but has the Imperial Fist combat doctrines and buffs a Crimson fist detachment which really doesn't exist because you have to select a founding chapter to follow? I understand what they were trying to do (no Lysander + Pedro in the same detachment, why I don't know they were so broken before?), but jeez could it be worded better. 

I'm not sure Lysander is worth it any more. He went up 30 points, lost bolter drill (for sternguard), lost bolster defences, gets to act like a banner for IF dudes, still only has 3 attacks, and his hammer is s10/ap1 now. His Warlord trait is decent since he can take most Warlords on in a challenge (barring Abadon and maybe some of the Demon characters). 

I'm still very disappointed in the Black Templars stuff. Helbrecht is at best meh (again not ap 2 so cannot challenge any real characters). Grimaldus is required for Black Tide, but his servitors are their own squad now, so no hiding them to keep that 6+ invul around. The emperor's champ is way overpriced for what he does. Crusader squads are decent, but still very expensive for a full squad ( 280 for just the squad and vet sarge and two power weapons). The only funny thing is that you can take Crusaders as dedicated transports for the crusader squads now.
Aegwymourn
Aegwymourn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Aegwymourn Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:39 am

Oh and Kantor has the lamest Warlord Trait. Plus one to a combat resolution if he is engaged. Seriously that is a Warlord Trait. I look at the Space Marine ones, back to the Tau/Eldar ones and just sigh.
Aegwymourn
Aegwymourn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:42 pm

That's almost as awesome as getting Soul Blaze on your weapon.. or Fear. Yipee.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:04 am

System Commander wrote:That's almost as awesome as getting Soul Blaze on your weapon..     or Fear.  Yipee.
Fear is one of the other ones for Space Marines.
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  dusktiger Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:37 am

interesting. a captain just has the option of taking a storm shield; it no longer says "replace 'X' with Storm Shield" you could make a dual grav pistol captain with a storm shield.
dusktiger
dusktiger
Lord of Titan

http://dusktigers-den.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew G Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:22 pm

dusktiger wrote:interesting. a captain just has the option of taking a storm shield; it no longer says "replace 'X' with Storm Shield" you could make a dual grav pistol captain with a storm shield.
Question on this... If you give him dual pistols AND a stormshield, if you opt to fire both pistols then you wouldn't be able to gain the invulnerable save from the storm shield, right? That's how I see this, since the SS needs a "hand" to hold it, but that hand is using a pistol....
Matthew G
Matthew G
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  dusktiger Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:33 pm

i think you'd still have the save, man....

besides, what about combat shields? these are modeled as being able to strap onto a pistol. does that mean you have to shoot the pistol or use the shield? nope.  nothing says they've lost the technology to make an arm brace to hold the shield to their forearm.

i've also noticed that the command squad is setup a little differently. now any captain, librarian, or chaplain can take one. it also starts as 5 veterans, not 4 and an apothecary.  which makes me wonder about the upgrades, because they worded it this way:
One Veteran may be upgraded to an Apothecary, taking a Narthecium - 15pts
so the apothecary has a chainsword, bolt pistol, and narthecium, but can he now take optional wargear.  he is chosen in list order 'before' optional wargear, which iirc, we assumed means they cant choose options cause those are lower down the list, and state any veteran my choose the following
dusktiger
dusktiger
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew G Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:49 pm

dusktiger wrote:i think you'd still have the save, man....

besides, what about combat shields? these are modeled as being able to strap onto a pistol. does that mean you have to shoot the pistol or use the shield? nope.  nothing says they've lost the technology to make an arm brace to hold the shield to their forearm.

Combat shields are considerably lighter than a Stormshield.... But if the rules don't say anything on that, who am I to argue. Guess combat shields are a dead wargear option then?, bc who would take them if you could take a SS (albit the higher points cost).
Matthew G
Matthew G
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Aegwymourn Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:55 pm

you still cant claim the +1 attack bonus in close combat with the storm shield. people stopped taking combat shields when they nerfed them from a 5+ to a 6+.
Aegwymourn
Aegwymourn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  dusktiger Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:45 pm

either way, the point is that you no longer have to sacrifice a weapon in one of your hands for the storm shield to be taken on a captain.  you can take a gun a melee weapon and a storm shield.  or any combination of the 3.
dusktiger
dusktiger
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhaevyn Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:06 am

which only makes sense, its about time that the imperium of man re-discovered the lost STC plans for gun-Straps and holsters.
Rhaevyn
Rhaevyn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:49 am

Heck, I know fluff wise Space Marines love to mag-lock things to their armor.
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  dusktiger Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:07 am

iTunes just released an update to the Enhanced digital codex edition, now you can download the partial working Force Requisition program, which only offers access to adding your HQ Troop and Heavy units for now.  it also added the FAQ changes, and for those that dont want to shell out for the Apoc book, it also appended every space marine Apoc datasheet onto the back of the digital codex.
dusktiger
dusktiger
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhaevyn Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:50 am

dusktiger wrote:iTunes just released an update to the Enhanced digital codex edition, now you can download the partial working Force Requisition program, which only offers access to adding your HQ Troop and Heavy units for now.  it also added the FAQ changes, and for those that dont want to shell out for the Apoc book, it also appended every space marine Apoc datasheet onto the back of the digital codex.
The apoc stuff is a nice surprise. too bad the interactive codex is only avail on snapple
Rhaevyn
Rhaevyn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum