Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Possible tourney.

+11
Lord_Commander_Stash
System Commander
Commander James of the Ul
Daemonkin
Rhaevyn
Matthew G
Aegwymourn
Termagant
judchic
Lore Weaver
Roland
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Would you want a one day or 2 day tourney

Possible tourney. Vote_lcap53%Possible tourney. Vote_rcap 53% 
[ 10 ]
Possible tourney. Vote_lcap47%Possible tourney. Vote_rcap 47% 
[ 9 ]

Total Votes : 19

Possible tourney. Empty Possible tourney.

Post  Roland Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:46 am

I'm looking at setting up running a larger tourney tourney in late April (after finals for USask ppl). I'd like it to be 25+ ppl or so. A few question/idea to bounce around

Venue: McGuires or a local school/civic center.
Format: pretty std. I'd like to do a 2 day/6 mission tourney, otherwise 1 day/3 or 4. $25/day entry fee.
Tables/Terrain: Assuming the Den pitches in, we've got roughly 8 tables and 12 tables worth of terrain. Can anyone donate a table/terrain set for something like this? I'd be either knocking something off your entry fee or looking at a bonus door prize for you.
Support: 25 people for a one day tourney is looking at $625 of prize support, minus any fees for the locale (roughly $150-250), so about $425 in prizes. 40 people in a 2 day tourney would give us about $1500 in prize support. Darren has said he'd be willing to chip in for support at that level.
Help: I'd need minimum 2 other people to help out with setup, organizing, judging, transporting everything, etc.

I'd like to do the ususals (1st-3rd overall, best sport, best painted, best general) I'd likely have some door prizes based on stuff (most warlords slain, etc.). I'd like to do swag bags or something with say Tshirsts, dice, obj markers and/or templates. That sorta thing.

Note: Any of these would have to be prepay. The outlay would be way to much for a pay at the door entry.

Thoughts, comments, critiques?

Last edited by Roland on Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Possible tourney. Empty Re: Possible tourney.

Post  Lore Weaver Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:44 am

I'll help.
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  judchic Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:21 pm

If its after the 19th I'm game. I got some of the imperial sector terrain but not enough for a full 6x4 table.
judchic
judchic
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Termagant Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:57 pm

I'm in to join and/or help.

I wonder if we have enough players in the city and area that we can have 3 or so people not playing and also 40 or so playing.

It might be a good idea to allow all but one judge to also play, and have a neutral other judge to make rulings on his game.

Mark, you'd better bring Aidan (sucka!!) and Thiessen to make up numbers.

Advertising in Regina too.

Termagant
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Aegwymourn Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:38 pm

I am game for the tourney. I don't really have terrain/tables but I wouldn't mind pitching in for some.
Aegwymourn
Aegwymourn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew G Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:43 pm

I would love a large official-type tourny here in sask... I only voted for a one-day venue though as my leash isnt long enough for a two-day event.
Matthew G
Matthew G
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:29 pm

Matthew G wrote:I would love a large official-type tourny here in sask... I only voted for a one-day venue though as my leash isnt long enough for a two-day event.

This would be the primary issue. I mentioned the idea to my wife and she commented on how comfortable our couch would be....
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhaevyn Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:41 pm

Just dont schedule it on the 29th. as i'll have to dig a tunnel out of my basement to attend on She who must Be Obeyed's birthday Smile
Rhaevyn
Rhaevyn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew G Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:05 pm

Rhaevyn wrote:Just dont schedule it on the 29th. as i'll have to dig a tunnel out of my basement to attend on She who must Be Obeyed's birthday Smile

El oh el... :-( i know the feeling....
Matthew G
Matthew G
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Daemonkin Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:08 pm

I would prefer a one day event with the having to drive to PA for my kid on sundays, and as for tables and terrain dan shouldn't be opposed to lending a hand
Daemonkin
Daemonkin
Mystic

Back to top Go down

Possible tourney. Empty re Tourney

Post  Commander James of the Ul Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:31 pm

I'm Totally game dude. I'd be a one day gamer as well. I got a 4x8 table as well but If I brought it to toon town I think I might let it rest at the den. It would also come with 8 terrain pieces. What point value did you have in mind?

Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:07 pm

If it was a two day tourney out of town, to make a weekend out of it or something, thatd be great. But in town, taking two days away from the family would be a bit rough. I could probably wing it by takign some holidays before or after.. but i think it would be a bit rough and maybe 40k overkill.

That being said, one weekend when our kids are akk a bit older.. a weekend trip down to chicago for 40k would be a ton of fun.. cheap on westjet!

Ive got a table and a few tables worth of terrain.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:56 am

Oh ya, I've got my table too, but it's not so portable (I'd need a dude and a truck of some description to move the beast.
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Lord_Commander_Stash Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:24 pm

I vote for 2 day because its something different. Also with larger numbers 3 round tournaments are tough to pull a head of the pack in just 3 games.
Lord_Commander_Stash
Lord_Commander_Stash
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  dusktiger Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:12 pm

If you can go forward with pulling off a weekend long event beau, I'll help with running it.
dusktiger
dusktiger
Lord of Titan

http://dusktigers-den.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhaevyn Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:29 am

this place

http://vvcasaskatoon.com/pages/albert.html

has a great top floor that my company has used for some events. it has an elevator so you dont have to carry things up and down stairs.

I'de rather do it at a venue with Improved beverages such as maguires myself. but thats for purely selfish reasons.
Rhaevyn
Rhaevyn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Possible tourney. Empty re Tourney

Post  Commander James of the Ul Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:01 am

Rhaevyn wrote:this place

http://vvcasaskatoon.com/pages/albert.html

has a great top floor that my company has used for some events. it has an elevator so you dont have to carry things up and down stairs.

I'de rather do it at a venue with Improved beverages such as maguires myself. but thats for purely selfish reasons.

A venue with "Improve Beverages"hmmmm. 40k with my good friend JD. If Beau could pull that off I'm totally in dude. But it would have to be a one day event.

Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:23 am

If JD was a Warlord, what table would he roll on?
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhaevyn Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:02 am

the obvious answer is....

All of them.
Rhaevyn
Rhaevyn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  dusktiger Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:35 pm

JD wouldn't roll on any table; he'd pick one he likes out of every table and use them all simultaneously. Including the ones in every codex and HH book.
dusktiger
dusktiger
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:14 pm

To answer a few questions and the like:

1500 pts for size, possibly 1750. Allies and Forts allowed (with terrain you might be able to set up a fortification on one table, and not another). FW would likely be allowed as well (No experimentals) although I'd lean toward disallowing the Heresy stuff (the idea of someone bringng Horus or some of the other stuff seems way out there).

If its one day, 4 rounds. If 2 day, 6 rounds. The primary issues for a 2 day are as follows:
1) fewer people will be able to free up an entire weekend. I'd likely be looking at diamond necklaces or possibly tickets to Paris to avoid sleeping in the basement for a month myself, and those of you who have met Erin know how easy-going she is about Space-Yucky time.
2) Increased cost. I'd basically have to double the cost for a 2 day tournament. That would put us in the $50 range, which is likely to weed out more people.

Tables/Terrain:
The Den (have to talk with Darren): 8 tables, 12 terrain sets (or there abouts)
Robyn: table and terrain
James: table and terrain
Dan/Drew: 2 tables and terrain
myself: 2 tables and terrain
mark: table and terrain
Ryan?: table and terrain

thats 15 tables/30 players worth.

Others that have tables that I know of:
Paz/Ian
Brian

I'm leaning toward $30 for a one day tourney, including pizza or $60 for a 2 day (pizza and maybe subs the second day). Missions would be standard.

Scoring would be my standard (50% battle/25% painting/25% sports).
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  dusktiger Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:32 pm

heresy armies wont be a problem beau @ 1500. your not allowed to field a primarch or any super heavy under 2000pts, and they cant total more than 25% of your total army's cost.

they also went very specific on wargear options; 0 counts-as, everything has to be wysiwyg; if it takes cataphractii armour for example, it has to be the FW model, not the GW model as they have totally different special rules and invul save values for the two types.
dusktiger
dusktiger
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhaevyn Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:29 am

dusktiger wrote:
they also went very specific on wargear options; 0 counts-as, everything has to be wysiwyg; if it takes cataphractii armour for example, it has to be the FW model, not the GW model as they have totally different special rules and invul save values for the two types.

so your saying that only the very rich will be fielding full on heresy armies, so they are obviously balanced! Smile I'm sure FW has no ulterior motive other than avoiding confusion to dis-allow counts-as. Rolling Eyes

Rhaevyn
Rhaevyn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  dusktiger Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:53 am

lol, no doubt Laughing cataphractii armour loses the relentless rule and makes you slow & purposeful, but you get a 4+ invul.
personally, i think you could work around it though if you made the shoulder pads into those big slabs; the fluff paragraph for the armor's description says that's where the additional shield generators that gave the greater invul save were housed. and there's several bit makers that have thrifty priced versions of these pads out already. really, i think the heart of the restriction was just to make players use a physically different looking mark of terminator armour to let your opponent know the dude coming at him has a 4++ not a 5++ as that might change how you choose to fight him.
dusktiger
dusktiger
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  da bear Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:11 am

I don't know mike a HH army may be a bit much right now some units are powerful if used right, but that being said not to many of use have the model count for actually field an army in their new style of deployment, and with a new list of weapons there would be a lot of time explaining them
da bear
da bear
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next