Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Wound Allocation

+2
Planes
Roland
6 posters

Go down

New Wound Allocation Empty New Wound Allocation

Post  Roland Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:40 pm

via BOLS forums:

"WOUND ALLOCATION

wound allocation is done closest to furthest. so you take 6 wounds on a tactical squad with a librarian attached.

the 6 models closest to the enemy unit that is shooting take 6 wounds than you roll for saves.

in CC its just closest to closest are hitting each other. so positioning is key.

any models equal distance away from the enemy are randomly rolled for to see who is hit

MIXED ARMOUR TYPES

as above, each model is wounded and you take saves based on what was hit. so 3 wolfgaurd terms and 2 normal wolfgaurd get 6 hits, working from the front each model takes a wound, then you go back to the front and the closest model to the enemy takes the last wound, you then roll your saves for each armour type."

From the sounds of it, it's exactly like now, but with the added wrinkle that it has to be the closest models......

This is extremely stupid. If you have a squad with one or two better invul saves, you run into the same problem as you have now (Somehow the bolters hit the guys in PA, and the LasC and Melta/Plas gun hits the one or 2 guys w/ an invul save). It solves nothing, coplicates things, and takes longer..... FAIL.

Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

New Wound Allocation Empty Re: New Wound Allocation

Post  Planes Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:44 pm

So in other words I still want my Lords front and center.
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:53 pm

Roland wrote:via BOLS forums:

"WOUND ALLOCATION

This is extremely stupid. If you have a squad with one or two better invul saves, you run into the same problem as you have now (Somehow the bolters hit the guys in PA, and the LasC and Melta/Plas gun hits the one or 2 guys w/ an invul save). It solves nothing, coplicates things, and takes longer..... FAIL.

That's not the main problem with wound allocation though. I'd love for my opponent to take the lasC and plasma on the invun guys (especially if it's only 5+) This new method makes you HAVE to give wounds to certain models based on placement which is a bit of a fix. We'll just have to see. I didn't read on having to allocate to guys with different equipment, which is where the current problem lies.

gluvzer
gluvzer
Lord of Titan/Hero of ToonCon/Ayatollah of Rock n' Rolla

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:17 pm

I'd rather than made it simplified (armour groups rather than wargear) or kept as is without being able to stack saves. I just see this as being overly complicated, especially in close combat.

Anybody forsee this conversation?
"My Storm shield guy is closer"
"No the due with the powerfist is"

I'm fine with all the changes I've seen so far, but this just doesn't work.

Picture someone deliberately moving their tactical squad or dire avengers so that your HQ choice is the only one in rapid fire range, (they can too, as pre-measuring is in). Would you care to take 10 armor save?

I'm probably overreacting, and I'll definately have to playtest it, but this just gives me a no feeling...
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:26 pm

It seems to me that there is room to aggressively "game" this system, but we haven't seen the full in-text rule yet, so there might be counter balances to it. Worse comes to worse, we could always use the old system in the league still.
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:05 pm

I think it'll be okay.

The biggest wrinkle is taking overwatch hits closest to furthest :-P

"I'm out of charge range now" -- Ouch. Rapid Fired to the face.

Also, this edition looks like it will make Guass Immortals and Footy Cron's a bit more competetive. (I still won't take 'em often though)
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew G Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:11 pm

So far I'm okay with this. Complicated at first but it will fall into place.
Matthew G
Matthew G
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:12 pm

I'm eyeing up the Tactical Gauss Nuke. Fill Night Scythe with Warriors, super sonic behind enemy lines, unload and dump 30 rapid fire Gauss Flayer shots in their pooper, ???, profit.
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:18 pm

Wound allocation was complicated at the start of 5th too, now it's second nature. And you can still "game" current allocation. Dice off if there's a disagreement. I'll reserve judgment because I think the current method is lacking. But I don't think going back to 3rd or 4th is the solution.
gluvzer
gluvzer

Back to top Go down

Post  Spamus Eatus Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:57 pm

I think I get it, it's essentially what it is now, but tweaked to help reduce potential shenanigans.

I will employ my L33T MSpaint skillz to demonstrate:

Linky
https://i.servimg.com/u/f42/13/22/89/29/wound_10.png

One thing that this system means is that a good flanking will actually mean something now. Also for characters I believe there is a variation of "look out sir!"

I remain cautiously optimistic.

EDIT:
Upon acquiring an actual copy of the rulebook, it seems my initial thoughts on how WA worked are completely off. Please disregard.

Last edited by Spamus Eatus on Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Spamus Eatus
Spamus Eatus
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:08 am

From all the stuff on Wound Allocation (especially CC) it seems like positioning WITHIN your unit, will be increasing in importance, exponentially. No more removing models from the rear of CC, looks like now it will be the front line rushes in and kill each other, remove all casualties from the front, pile in again.

As Ben said at the tourney, the shootin rules mean you'll likely keep your leader toward the rear to better protect them from shooting, but then you need them up front where they can do some damage.
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down