Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Death Korps Project

+5
gluvzer
Veyure
System Commander
Administratum
ScottRadom
9 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Death Korps Project - Page 2 Empty Re: Death Korps Project

Post  Veyure Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:47 am

Thats a very well painted model
Veyure
Veyure
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Administratum Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:51 pm

Looks really good. If you get a chance could you zoom out a bit and take a picture? Its hard to get a feel for how the colors work together, and how the whole model looks from a distance.

Administratum
Inquisitor Lord

https://huntersofthewarp.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:36 pm

Very nice, looks Germanish and WWIy. Now just 69 more to go!!
gluvzer
gluvzer
Lord of Titan/Hero of ToonCon/Ayatollah of Rock n' Rolla

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:45 pm

Those guys are looking great.

System Commander
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Death Korps Project - Page 2 Empty Some (Limited) Progress...

Post  ScottRadom Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:58 am

Well a little bit more done. Slow going but a lot of fun to paint. Very rewarding! Here;s a pic of what's done so far.
Death Korps Project - Page 2 Img_9032
Thanks all for the kind words so far, but please don't be afraid to throw some honest criticism my way.
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:46 am

I think they look good from what I can see. I like the colour scheme. My only negative criticizm would be personal and against you, but I'll tell you those next time we go drinking. That and I don't know if I like the guns, but I can't tell. Are they just straight up metal all over?
gluvzer
gluvzer

Back to top Go down

Post  Administratum Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:24 am

Holy shit Scott, those look amazing. Right now if you entered those into a local 40k tournament i would probably give you the vote for best painted. Absolutely awsome, keep up the good work.

Administratum
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:24 pm

gluvzer wrote:I think they look good from what I can see. I like the colour scheme. My only negative criticizm would be personal and against you, but I'll tell you those next time we go drinking. That and I don't know if I like the guns, but I can't tell. Are they just straight up metal all over?

Yeah, straight metal. Boltgun metal, Badab Black Wash, Chainmail highlights.

I thought about wood stocks and stuff, but too much work! I struggled with painting them up proper, but I tried one in metal and spent some time on the other and I liked the metal one better, It stands out a little without being distracting. The more color and work I put on the gun it just seemed to melt into the fig.

I also understand the personal criticism as well.
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:26 pm

LexMechanic wrote:Holy shit Scott, those look amazing. Right now if you entered those into a local 40k tournament i would probably give you the vote for best painted. Absolutely awsome, keep up the good work.

Thanks... I'm happy with them but I don't know if I'd go raising my hand yet. They're nice enough but I don't know about best. Thanks though! I actually made a small amount of progress this morning, and I can pound out a fig in about 2 1/2 hrs now that I have my paint scheme picked. Also I picked up a wet pallete, and I can't say enough good things about it. I was using paint this morning that I put on there last night. Really cool.
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Administratum Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:38 pm

yea i have experimented with a home made wet pallet. They are super easy to make, and great if you are not watering down your paints. Personally i have been trying to do the very thin glazing technique, so there is no need for a wet pallet. Painters like Ryan G and Dana would probably love the wet pallet. As far as best painted, man, from that picture they look like pure gold. I have always been a fan of the gritty dark painting, its something i struggle with.

Administratum
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:06 pm

I know little of this "wet pallet" but if Cam figures it would work well for me I am up for checking it out. Where would be the best place to get one and how does it work?
gluvzer
gluvzer

Back to top Go down

Post  Administratum Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:21 pm

Im not sure where you buy them, scott would have to tell you that. To make one you simply take a small tupperware container, cut up about a half inch worth of paper towel to put in the bottom, then saturate the paper towel, but not so much that there is standing water, just as much as the paper can hold. I usually just dumped in a bunch of water, then drained out the excess. Once this is done you have to options. You can cover the paper towel with wax paper, or real parchment. I used wax paper, but i think that the parchment would be better. The reason for this is that the wax paper can break if you are doing allot of mixing where there is friction.
The wax paper or parchment act as a semi permeable membrane (thank you grade 11 science) that allows only small quantities of water to pass through. The result is that you paint does not dry out. It does not get thinned at all that i could notice, but for the guys who use paint straight out of the pot it is nice. Like Scott said, if you do happen to me mixing paints, you can just throw the lid on after a session and put it in the fridge. When you come back to get it, the paint will still be as wet as when you took it out of the pot. It seems to me that i forgot my wet pallet at Ivans once, then went back a week later to get it, and the paint was not dried at all. If you decide you want to make one give me a shout, but if you have the money im sure that a bought one would be superior in all respects.

Administratum
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:07 pm

cool man, thanks. It does sound like something I would use or at least try. I seem to remember you making something like that at my place a while back on a paint night we had. Nice use of the highschool science terms, by the way. I'll maybe look into if one can be purchased and the price. If I can't find one or don't want to spend the $ I'll maybe take you up on your offer on making one. Thanks.
gluvzer
gluvzer

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:45 pm

You should definetly make one. I bought mine at michaels and it was a retarded amount for what I got. I hadn't really researched it I just saw some guys talking about it on a site and a few really good painters said they would never be without them. Now I would have to agree. The one I got from Michaels was the only one they had and it was 35$ plus 10$ for the refills. I would just get the refills in hind site and make my own as this one is way too big. It does work awesome though!
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Death Korps Project - Page 2 Empty great work scott

Post  Gulsnick Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:00 pm

it simply amases me how you pound out so many figs at such high quality.
Gulsnick
Gulsnick
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Administratum Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:03 pm

Hey what material are you using for your bases? Is it stuff from one of the basing kits, or just playground sand?

Administratum
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:12 pm

LexMechanic wrote:Hey what material are you using for your bases? Is it stuff from one of the basing kits, or just playground sand?

Combination of the fine rock from the basing kit and some coarse sand and some very fine sand. I scatter on a little of the rock for a variance in texture and then dip and whirl the base in my mix of coarse sand/fine sand. I typically use just the sand mix and it's great for fantasy as the base isn't as visible when a unit is ranked up. I also bought some aluminum mesh which I've been using with small pieces of offcut sprue and thge barbed wire from the basing kit to do up the bases a bit more. I'll try and bring them down tonight for an in-person looksee. As well I got the foam cutter and other figs already in my care so I can't forget them!
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Death Korps Project - Page 2 Empty Slow progress....

Post  ScottRadom Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:25 pm

Well it's slow going but I am still making progress on these guys. It's a big project for sure...Death Korps Project - Page 2 Img_9318
This is my favorite guy, 'cause WHAT IS HE DOING!?!? I have no idea why I assembled this guy with such a stupid pose and weapon mix. "Okay Kozinski, sling your rifle, grab this grenade and go get 'em while we wait here and cover you. Seriously, what the hell....
Death Korps Project - Page 2 Img_9319
So more to come. I've got to model up and paint a couple more for this squad then I'm gonna break up the painting by doing some heavy weapons or command stuff.
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Administratum Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:58 pm

Haha, that is awesome. Jokes aside, they are looking really good. Im not sure if you were trying to or not, but kozinzki has some really good looking battle damage on his helmet.

Administratum
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:06 am

LexMechanic wrote:Haha, that is awesome. Jokes aside, they are looking really good. Im not sure if you were trying to or not, but kozinzki has some really good looking battle damage on his helmet.

It's just mettalic drybrushed in an odd splotch or two over the grey color.
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:20 am

You bet, those guys are looking good. I guess Kozinski is the poor guy who has to drop the grenade through the open hatch of the tank. Now he has a purpose... I better see Kozinki assaulting tanks all the time!

System Commander
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:37 am

They're looking really good, keep it up.

Kozinski reminds me of Steven Carrell's character in "Anchor Man" when they have the brawl with all the rival news teams, and he runs around with a grenade in his hand yelling. Or maybe poor Kozinski throws like a girl, and not wanting to embarass himself, carries the grenade to its destination.
gluvzer
gluvzer

Back to top Go down

Death Korps Project - Page 2 Empty Rough Rider

Post  ScottRadom Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:11 am

Well it's been a while but I started painting up this fig for an online painting challenge. We'll see, but the model itself is awesome. Very fiddly to put together as some holes needed drilling on the pennant which was very fragile. But so far so good I think.
Death Korps Project - Page 2 IMG_0955
Death Korps Project - Page 2 IMG_0961
Death Korps Project - Page 2 IMG_0963
Death Korps Project - Page 2 IMG_0986
These are super cool models. Even if the rumors of plastic DKK are true I don't think I'll regret buying these models. No way can the quality be matched on plastics, even though the new GW plastics are extraordinary.
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:40 pm

Finished up the rider. Fun to paint! I'm gonna get a light tent and a better set up for pics, but this is pretty much how it looks.
Death Korps Project - Page 2 IMG_1041
Crit's appreciated!
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:08 am

Such an awsome fig. I really like the horse, the bruising around the tube entries looks well done. I like the sharp highlights on the horse mask, but I guarantee you there are those who will not (maybe not here). His breastplate looks a little to shiny(?) for my tastes, I don't know, it looks to me like it doesn't match the way you've done the rest of the riders armour. Is this something you were going for? Is it his ornamental dress wear? Razz

Overall it is top-notch work. You have been consistantly improving over the last while and it is definately noticable. Looking forward to seeing it in person.

Now paint the Rest!!
gluvzer
gluvzer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next