Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

League Play-offs

+5
Roland
Lore Weaver
Rhaevyn
Termagant
System Commander
9 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

League Play-offs Empty League Play-offs

Post  System Commander Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:26 am

Okey doke.. the league has ended. There were sure alot of games played.. let me do a quick tally.. 79 in total.

If you head over to the League Standing thread, you can see how everyone finished in points for the league, as well as the bonus point they earned for the playoffs.

Play-off lists will be made from 1750 totals, plus you get to add in the bonus for where you finished in the league. You have to keep the exact same list throughout all your playoff games.

I drew randomly for the match-ups, so here they are:

Pool Awesome

Mark (1) vs. Randy (8 )
Gavin (3) vs. Robyn (6)

Pool Boo-urns

Ryan G (4) vs. Tim (5)
Scott (7) vs. Mike B. (2)

Remember to make your army lists based on the following points.

Mark - 1855
Mike - 1840
Gavin - 1825
Ryan G - 1810
Tim - 1795
Robyn - 1780
Scott - 1765
Randy - 1750

Look like a few lopsided match-ups in the first round. Randy, if it's any consolation, two play-offs in a row I came in 8th and had to play the person in first.. Tim and Ryan have the closest match-up, plus they had a pretty close game during least league's playoffs as well.

Feel free to start making match-ups when you can. We'll be using the standard book missions for now, although I'm going to try to get something different done up by the end of the day. It wont be anything bizarre, but will be a mission with varying ways of winning. If I can get it done before the day is up, I'll post it up to use.

Remember that each mission has a primary objective.. either kill point of holding objectives. If your tied on the primary objective, you use kill points to break the tie. If your still tied (and yeah, that has happened) you go to where you finished in the league. Whoever finished higher wins the game.

System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

League Play-offs Empty Re: League Play-offs

Post  System Commander Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:05 am

Im leaning heavily towards using the nova open missions.

Nova Open missions

They are prety balanced.. and the best part take away Capture and Control.

Unless I hear big protests, thats probably the plan
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Termagant Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:49 am

Cool ars. I wasn't sure if I was still in the top 8. I'll arrange a game with Bidyk for next week.

Termagant
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhaevyn Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:05 pm

So are we using these now, or this first game is with the book missions?
Rhaevyn
Rhaevyn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:13 pm

I was just waiting to hear from the rest of the folks for input.. but if i dont hear anything then we'll use them for the three rounds.. since they are nicely organized like that.

If anyone is playing.. let me know and ill speed up the decision making.

System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:12 pm

Randy, I tossed you a PM, my schedule is nuts, so if those times don't work, let me know soon and I can take an afternoon of work or something.
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Termagant Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:21 am

Wow, the first scenario is nuts. With a slight tweaking, it is fair and acceptable.

It says I have to beat my opponent by 3 or more KP to win, or it's a draw. And being I placed 7th, I auto lose due to the tiebreaker scenario. How about we modify it just to KP, win by 1 point, you win.

Termagant
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhaevyn Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:28 am

the 3 goals are in play for every mission Scott.

So every game has objectives and table quarters to worry about as well as the kill points. so if you don't win by 3 KP, you check table quarters to determine the winner, if that is tied, you check objectives to determine the winner. if all three of those are tied, THEN you check to see where you were placed. which i don't think is unreasonable.

Rhaevyn
Rhaevyn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:39 pm

This is actually a really elegant system.

You could make a "random mission generator" that's somewhat tailored to both armies.
Roll-off to see who picks the primary mission. Picks one of the three.
Other player picks one of the remaining as a secondary (and possibly deployment).
remainder is third.

Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:46 pm

Just play the game as its written with the two tie breakers.

Only after the requirements have all been tied will we use standings for the final determinent.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Eveyone knows the missions and opponents.. there shouldnt be any surprises. I listed everyone on the standings page with the army they played the majority of games with thus league. Let me know if something is incorrect.

System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Termagant Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:23 pm

Time limit to get the 1st game done? I might be able to play Friday, maybe not even Friday. If Friday falls through or my opponent is not available that day, it'll have to be after the tourney.

If need be, I'll forfeit. Things I got going on this week are more important than 40k.

Termagant
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:08 pm

Thats fine.. as long as it doesnt go to long that'll work. If you cant play next week then we'll arrange fir the ninth place player to step in.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:13 pm

So just to recap and make sure everyone is on the right page.

We're going to use the the missions I posted a link to above for the 3 rounds of playoff games. The first mission has Kill points as the primary objective. If your within 3 kill points, you go to the secondary goal which is the objectives, and if your still tied then table quesrters. If those three are all tied, then we go to where you finished in the league.

For the first round, try to remember that it's dawn of war deployment with night fight on the first turn. Game will be 6 turns, with a 4+ roll taking it to a 7th.

I'll be there wedneaday playing Gavin.. and Ill leave the missions somewhere in the back.

Mark, you haven't heard from randy yet have you?
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:39 am

System Commander wrote:Mark, you haven't heard from randy yet have you?

Just, we're working on setting up a match.
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Termagant Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:37 am

I'll be able to play next week for sure.

Termagant
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhaevyn Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:38 am

Ok. Just let me know which day.
Rhaevyn
Rhaevyn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:05 am

Me and Gavin had our playoff game tonight, and what a game it was.

Came down to the last couple rolls of the game, with Gavin getting the victory.

I'll save everyone the play by play.. but a few highlights are warranted.

So, primary mission kill points with objectives as the tie breakers. Dawn of War deployment.

I won the roll and got to choose a good side, and opted to give scouts to my two ten man Strike Squads. Gavin had 3 more kill points than me, with 6 of them tied up in 2 dreads, 2 speeders, and 2 rhinos. With a psyfleman dread and 7 psycannons, I thought for sure those would be easy kill points. Strike squads coming in on flanks would be good positions and should be able to get to shoot the turns they come in.. and of course push onto the objectives if kill points were looking tight.

First couple of turns started great for me, killing a predator, a speeder and stunning a bunch of stuff. It was looking good, especially with my troops coming in the second turn as well. But then my guys hit a wall. I kept hitting vehicles and penetrating but could not take out. I probably rolled about 6 stuns on penetrates in one turn.. I had 2 rhinos stripped naked and immobilized.. but still alive.. and Gavin made a big push back and by the 4th turn it was looking really close. I was starting to get really nervous regarding the pinning checks. My first strike squad lost its rhino to a wreck.. and rolled 11 to pin themsevles. The next turn, the other squad lost the rhino to a wreck result and rolled an 11 to be pinned to. And just to rub it in a bit.. after my crusader died to Gavins .. despite getting the first shot and stunning it for two turns.. the squad also failed their test.

I wont lament on my rolls that much.. since Gavin had it just as bad. First shot of the game.. 4 wounds on the scouts in cover and he failed 3 saves..including Telion. Crucial assault with Gavins terminators assaulting mine
.. and his librarian boffed his null zone check. So we both had our share of oddities.

I was able to break his librarian and termies, kill a landspeeder, a dreadnought and a rhino all in the last 2 turns to push me into the lead on kill points.. he came back by taking out the techmarine and henchmen and the terminators.

Bottom of the 6th finished and we tallied up kill points, I was up by three so according to mission parameters, onto objectives. One contested and Gavin had the other uncontested. I tried really hard to squeeze out an extra kill point that last turn.. or even get guys over to contest the objective.. I was a few inches short on my Grandmaster and about 4 on another unit. We checked for a seventh turn, but nope..that was it.

It was a great game, thanks again Gavin.. and especially for being patient while trying to wrap my head around what to shoot. I dont know why I have such a hard time with the Grey Knights.. I think I just really enjoy the Khorne way of battle. Worry about a couple guns and then just assault eveything else.. Smile

System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:32 pm

Randy and I got our game in. Randy bringing a very mobile Dark Eldar list. 3 Ravagers, 4 raiders, all with contents. Two with witches, one with trueborn, one with incubi. Vect was with the incubi. All the vehicles had flicker fields.

My list was a surfboard lord, Trazyn, storm-tek, rock-tek, destro-tek, two orb lords.
C'Tan with pie plate and S4 shooting, 8 warriors in an ark, 10 immortals, 15 warriors, 2 annihilation barges, and a Monolith.

Pre-Game -----

Lame jokes told by me. Roll off for first turn. I elect to give Randy first turn and edge choice. He deploys a Raider with witches in it, and deployes Vect on the ground. I deploy nothing, and Randy goes first. I do not attempt to seize.

Turn 1 -----

Randy drives on. 12" up with reasonable board coverage.

--

I move on, 6" up everywhere. Ghost ark tries to shoot at the one Raider, yet fails to see. Was also 7" out of range!

Turn 2 ------

I grant Randy the gift of night fight by way of my solar pulse. Randy moves up his Ravagers, depositions his Raiders, and Vect boards the Incubi Raider and heads towards the C'Tan. Ravager shoots at a surfboard lord, rips off the gauss cannon and shields. Another Ravager shoots and takes a flayed array and shielding off the ghost ark. 3rd Ravager can't see anything. Another Raider is able to see, and glances off a tesla destructor off a barge.

---

Surfboard lord runs over a Ravager, stunning it. Barges move up. C'Tan moves up, ghost ark stuns another Ravager. Nothing else is in range. I mentally prepare for the terror that is going to be Randy's shooting phase.

Turn 3 -----

Randy cautiously advances, trueborn heading towards the surfboard lord. Vect and the incubi disembark close to the C'Tan. Shooting begins. 3 Raiders and a Ravager open up on the C'Tan, getting 4 wounds. C'Tan makes all 4 saves. Trueborn shoot Blasters at the surfboard lord, he makes his 4+ saves too. The other raider shoots at the ark, rolling a '1'. The ark makes it's living armor roll.

With all the shooting done, Vect fleets and assaults the C'Tan, killing it. It's explosion takes out 4 incubi!

---

Bottom of three, surfboard lord runs over trueborn raider, failing to hit. He disembarks. Immortals walk out of the monolith portal. They shoot at a raider, wrecking it. The monolith shoots at the trueborn raider, blowing it up. The ghost ark and occupants stunned a Ravager. The two barges shot and finished off Vect and the incubi. The trueborn fail a pinning test. The surfboard lord assaults the stunned Ravager, blowing it up, the explosion killing a trueborn.

-------

That was basically the beginning of the end for Randy. The was some good performances from the rest of his army, but luck was not on his side. He reduced the barges to shells, but they endured.

The final Killpoint tally was 10-1 in favour of the 'Crons.
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhaevyn Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:26 pm

Scott and i played our playoff game this morning.

Chock up a win for Dawn of War.

Lets just say that tyranids dont like blast templates and having to walk 48 inches to engage the enemy.

Rhaevyn
Rhaevyn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Termagant Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:47 pm

Nor do they like it when you fail 6 out of 7 4+ cover saves, every psychic check for the opponent is pased, plasma cannons roll 3 hits in a row, outflankers come in the wrong side 3 out of 3 times, 4 hive guard get 1 glancing hit on a dreadnought in 8 shots, and 7 poisoned genestealers kill but 4 marines off the assault.

Enough from me. I don't want to sound like Stever.

Termagant
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:38 pm

Sounds like somebody ticked off the dice gods...
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhaevyn Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:21 pm

Or sacrificed someone to them.... :-)
Rhaevyn
Rhaevyn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Gain Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:33 pm

Mark and I played or league game today. I managed to pull off win although the game was so close the entire way.

I started to write up a battle report but I think I meshed turns together and decided to get rid of it.

It was a hell of a game. going back and forth the whole time.
Gain
Gain
Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:53 am

Gavin is the semi finalist for pool awesome.. how are things for pool boourns going?
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:24 am

Tim and I are playing Thurs. night.
gluvzer
gluvzer
Lord of Titan/Hero of ToonCon/Ayatollah of Rock n' Rolla
Lord of Titan/Hero of ToonCon/Ayatollah of Rock n' Rolla

Back to top Go down