Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Two (and a half) seksy Necron Assault Units

3 posters

Go down

Two (and a half) seksy Necron Assault Units Empty Two (and a half) seksy Necron Assault Units

Post  Lore Weaver Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:03 pm

Necron Assault Unit 1 --
1) Destroyer Lord 125, with Scarabs +20 = 145
2) 4xWraiths = 140 1) with Whip Coil +10, 2) with Whip Coil +10, Pistol +5, 3) Pistol +5, 4) Nakers! Total = 165

Wraiths don't reanimate, have a 3++ save, and two wounds each. With this loadout, you can play some wound allocation games. If you're feeling like you need one more model, take another 45 point wraith with a whip coil. The Destroyer Lord is there to provide some Mindshakle and S7 Power weapon love action.

Who does this squad take on? *anything in all of 40k* I don't think this squad is afraid of anything really. With a 3++ invulnerable save and 12" movement, getting to combat shouldn't be to bad either. The Lord can't take an invulnerable save, which normally makes him weak to the Thunderhammer stormshield guys, but then wraiths... so no.

Necron Assault Unit 2 --
1) 5xPraetorians 200pts with Voidblades and Plasma Casters. If you could get +1 attack in CC, +1 Str and + 6" shooting range all for the low low price of 0 pts, wouldn't you take it? Yes you would. Rods of the Covenant are terrible. Also... Voidblades, while they're not power weapons, they *do* have entropic strike. I like my threatning units to have options on the battlefield
2) 1x Destroyer Lord with Orb and Scarabs, 175

The Lord is critical to getting this unit to the frontline basically unmolested. 4+ reanimation roll is 16.7% better than a 5+ roll. One in six times, it's saving the life of a 40pt model, all for the low low price of 30pts. This unit can assault... *almost* anything. Dreads are a touch scary. Thunderhammer stormshield guys are iffy. What they really like to fight are multiwound models. The Voidblades make things nekkid. Playing your wound allocation games once your nekkid, isn't so scary. The one unit I might think twice about assaulting is an Ork Nob unit, as far as multiwound go.

Ideally, you'll get this fast unit of dudes to the opponents backfield and kill squisher things. Breakup the unit, send the Praetorians against one vehicle, and the Destroyer Lord against another.

Necron Assault Unit 3 -- (this is the "0.5")
1) 5xLychguard 200pts (with Warscythes. I've heard rumours that there's other options, kindof like there's more than one "Matrix" movie. This is false).
2) 90 pt Lord from the Court. (Orb, Scythe, Scarabs) (Another Choice is the 160 pt Overlord, or the 205 pt Overlord with a 3++ save gettin' pricey)
3) NightScythe 100pts
Total = 390 pts! (pricey!)

The NightScythe, on the first turn, turboboosts across the board at 36", Carrying it's lychly payload. The very next turn (assuming it's "I moved fast" save keeps it alive), the Lychguard and Lord walk out and can assault away, as the vehicle didn't move this turn. That's a 14" range from any part of the base of the NightScythe model.

This unit has T5, and S7 strike-before-power-fist chain-fists. Warscythes are *good*. However, like the previous entry, you'll need to pick your opponents carefully. You do standup on a 4+ for reanimation, and take one opponent out of the fight with the Mindshackle Scarabs, but no Invulnerable save means your coming under-equipped to the party (when compared to other dedicated assault units).
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Two (and a half) seksy Necron Assault Units Empty Re: Two (and a half) seksy Necron Assault Units

Post  Timbo Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:18 pm

I'm a big fan of wraiths. They are (relatively) cheap and scary. 1 wraiths and 2X scarabs for me in almost every list please. Mark, you should design an all-assault Necron army. 3X wraiths and some Praetorians/Lychguard with warscythe lords out the wazoo. Could be fun, and possibly even good.
Timbo
Timbo
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Two (and a half) seksy Necron Assault Units Empty Re: Two (and a half) seksy Necron Assault Units

Post  Lore Weaver Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:14 pm

Timbo wrote:I'm a big fan of wraiths. They are (relatively) cheap and scary. 1 wraiths and 2X scarabs for me in almost every list please. Mark, you should design an all-assault Necron army. 3X wraiths and some Praetorians/Lychguard with warscythe lords out the wazoo. Could be fun, and possibly even good.

There's goodness there. Might even throw a Doom Scythe in to pop those Rhino shells to enjoy the tasty inerds?

1750pts? (drop the doomscythe, a wraith, and a spider to bring it down to 1500)

Fast Attack
1) 5x Wraiths (175+40) = 205
3x Whip Coils +30
2x Pistols +10
2) 7x Scarabs 105
3) 7x Scarabs 105

Fast Attack Total = 415

Heavy
1) 3xCanoptek Spyders 150 with Gloom Prism +15 = 165
3) Doom Scythe = 175

Heavy Total = 340

HQ
1) 175pt Destroyer Lord
2) 125pt Destroyer Lord

HG total = 300

Elites
1) 5x Praetorians = 200

Troops
1) 5xWarriors in a Scythe = 165
2) 5xWarriors in a Scythe = 165
3) 5xWarriors in a Scythe = 165

Total = 495
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhaevyn Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:53 pm

Timbo wrote:I'm a big fan of wraiths. They are (relatively) cheap and scary. 1 wraiths and 2X scarabs for me in almost every list please. Mark, you should design an all-assault Necron army. 3X wraiths and some Praetorians/Lychguard with warscythe lords out the wazoo. Could be fun, and possibly even good.

I know that my daemon prince got basically schooled by a unit of two wraiths. granted i had some crap rolls, but still.
Rhaevyn
Rhaevyn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:40 am

Rhaevyn wrote:

I know that my daemon prince got basically schooled by a unit of two wraiths. granted i had some crap rolls, but still.

I think for that to happen on average, I think you need 3 wraiths.
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Timbo Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:15 am

Oh Mark, you can only give a wraith a single upgrade btw.
Timbo
Timbo
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:34 pm

Timbo wrote:Oh Mark, you can only give a wraith a single upgrade btw.

GAH! You're right. I guess a single wraith gets the Transdimensional Beamer then.

5xWraiths = 175
1xPlasma Caster +5
1xTransdimensional Beamer +15
2xWhip Coils +20
1xNekkers +0
= 215
Once in a while that Beamer is going to fry something worthy of note! (Take that Demon Prince! Did you just roll a "6" Draigo? How do you like them apples, Mephiston?)
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Timbo Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:36 pm

The beamer is heavy1 though. How often will your wraiths not be moving? Maybe in 6th jump infantry will be relentless?
Timbo
Timbo
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:38 pm

Timbo wrote:The beamer is heavy1 though. How often will your wraiths not be moving? Maybe in 6th jump infantry will be relentless?

I highly doubt that, or destroyers would be Heavy 2 or Rapid Fire or something. Meh... is 15 pts worth some wound allocation shenanigans? Keeps a 35/45 point wraith alive. Probably worth it???
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down