Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Death Company Transport Options

4 posters

Go down

Death Company Transport Options Empty Death Company Transport Options

Post  Guardian Angel Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:16 pm

Hey All,

I am looking for opinions on Death Company Transport options. I am looking for increasing their mobility so that they do not have to run across the field. I would like opinions on what people think is "the best" option....but coolness factors should also apply.....not just raw mathhammer efficiency.

The options I see are:

1. --> Jump Packs (I know....not really a transport....but provides the same idea....increased mobility)
2. --> Rhino with a 10 man company (perhaps a Chappy)
3. --> Razorback with a 5 man company plus Chappy
4. --> Landraider Crusader with 15 Man Company plus Chappy
5. --> Drop Pod with 10 guys plus chappy (I think it can xport 12 guys right??)

The pro/cons as I see them:

1. --> Pro - High mobility all the time, Deep Strike with DoA rule
Con - Expensive, Jumping into Terrain, no protection while getting to target
2. --> Pro - Low Cost Transport, Rhino can tank shock and block LoS after dumping DC out.
Con - Foot Slogging after exit
3. --> Same as 2, except, Pro - TL Hvy Bolter, Con - Less transport capacity
4. --> Pro - Landraider AV, Weapons, PoMS; assault after moving; can Deep Strike
Con - Expensive "Death Star" Unit (650+ points depending on upgrades taken, likely closer to 750 after upgrades), foot-slogging after exiting raider
5. --> Pro - Cheap DS transport, can arrive on the first turn, zero chance of mishap due to interial guidance, cannot be blown up before it gets where you want it.
Con - Footslogging after exit, Drop pod cannot move to Tank shock units or to block LoS.

I left the Stormraven off the list due to the fact that my coverting skills suck......perhaps if a Kit pops out for one I would look into it.
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Death Company Transport Options Empty Re: Death Company Transport Options

Post  smackman Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:28 pm

My vote is rhino, it's cheap, its reliable, it pops smoke and it has no disadvantages. Used properly foot slogging post disembarkation is not a big deal, or a deal at all really, a game is only 5-7 turns remember, and death company aren't gods, they're gonna get bogged down in combat and be lucky to move much at all after bailing out of their ride.
smackman
smackman
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Paz Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:20 pm

10 plus chappy in drop pod, all bolters= Awesome! You drop in, unload bolters at the nearest infantry unit, have a decent chance of survival. Next turn, move towards target, unleash rapid fire bolters with relentless, then charge with chappy, each guy gets 3 attacks on charge with reroll to hit and wound. Super versatile killy unit! Also, since you take 10, take 2 DC dreads in pods, drop those first turn against mech to pop those units out of vehicles, and drop the DC when you need it, wherever infantry and thickest.
Paz
Paz
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Guardian Angel Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:30 pm

Ya.....I would be really tempted to toss a single fisty dude in with the all Bolter group.....just for tearing down those monsters.....and squashing EVERYTHING else.
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Paz Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:57 pm

maybe 2? Remember, fists work great in this bolter group, as you can have a fist and a bolter (since you won't need a pistol).
Paz
Paz
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:12 pm

in my experience lots of bolter fire kills ANYTHING with no AV value.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guardian Angel Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:53 am

Paz wrote:maybe 2? Remember, fists work great in this bolter group, as you can have a fist and a bolter (since you won't need a pistol).

Ya.....that is how I run my Tact Sergants......Bolter and Fist.....best of both worlds..... Very Happy
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Veyure Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:30 am

I think it will depend on what the style of your army is. all are viable. if you plan to have a bunch of jump assault marines then the small jump DC are ok as there will be more than just them flying toward the enemy.

I also think you should not consider the points cost of a 'total' unit when using a LR. The land raider, even though it may be a dedicated transport, is a tank in it's own right and after dropping off its load then it works on its own. So really you are getting 2 separate unit choices which work together for a combination. plus the LR can deep strike which makes it super cool.
Veyure
Veyure
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down