Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Land Raider Sponson mounts

4 posters

Go down

Land Raider Sponson mounts Empty Land Raider Sponson mounts

Post  ScottRadom Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:25 am

So... In Calgary on the weekend for a fantasy tourny and I checked out the 40k side of things. Lot's of Land Raiders (Are they better now?) and I noticed that every single one I looked at had the side sponson mounts in the rear position. This is an enormous pet peeve of mine.

How do you put the Lascannon/Bolter/Whatever directly behind the door for people to get out? What happens with the Adeptus Mechanicus dude's who assemble these? Do they hate Marines? Does the Emperor think "Safety is for Queers"? Do marines not only "Have no fear" but no decent OH & S as well?

How many of the emperrors chosen have bit it because they jumped out the door just to be obliterated by a lascannon? How about the special hurricane bolter mounts that are supposed to be firing the whole way... do you just jump and pray? Do the marines just hope they don't roll any 1's or 2's before they get out of the way of the dozen or so bolter rounds?

I'm just sayin'....
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Land Raider Sponson mounts Empty Re: Land Raider Sponson mounts

Post  gluvzer Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:56 am

Dammit Scott, It's called the POWER OF THE MACHINE SPIRIT!! Get over it.

And yes they are better because assaults are done on rear armour now, landraider has 14. And the machine spirit shoots all the time, one weapon at BS4.

Maybe I should play fantasy, and just play any newest book so I can win all the time and not even know the rules.

Did you WIN?
gluvzer
gluvzer
Lord of Titan/Hero of ToonCon/Ayatollah of Rock n' Rolla

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:08 am

gluvzer wrote:Dammit Scott, It's called the POWER OF THE MACHINE SPIRIT!! Get over it.

And yes they are better because assaults are done on rear armour now, landraider has 14. And the machine spirit shoots all the time, one weapon at BS4.

Maybe I should play fantasy, and just play any newest book so I can win all the time and not even know the rules.

Did you WIN?

Of course you should play Fantasy, but the newest book is the blurst. The new mortal chaos book is very, very poor.

Carson took it all down. I had a dismal 1-2-1 record. I played an army I had no experience against twice (Dark Elves) which beat me down. Won't happen again! It's a bit of a funny story though.... Like you said I played a guy using the newest army book who didn't know the rules the first time and he crushed me. He was proxying figs for a unit (I didn't know that then) so in my last round I played the same Dark Elf list and I charged a unit that looked totally different then the one I learned to avoid in my first battle only to find out that they were the same unit! Can't blame that guy, I just thought my first round opponent wasn't proxying anything..... sunnofagun.

Good times, got really drunk, tried playing the piano, made fun of some people on a life improvement seiminar weekend etc.

Driving down in a big rig was awesome, except we couldn't go anywhere because we had a 53' trailer hooked up to the truck.
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:54 am

Yeah, land raiders are awesome now. I have no idea why you wouldn't mount them on the front set of doors.

a) the arc of fire is just a litlte bit better
b) the weapon gets an extra inch and half of range, very important for the hurricane bolters and redeemer sponsons
c) you trace line of sight from the weapon, so if you deploy from that door and your guys are in front and you have to shoot through them, that vehicle or troops choice will be getting a 4+ save.

Alot of people probably have them built from when this didn't matter, but for building new ones it make sense.

The only reason I could to mount them on the back would be to make use of the side doors for deployment. If your loaded to bear with 16 models, if might be hard to get all of them within 2 " of the front door, so having the side doors closer means you can deploy in a hporseshoe all across the front and not worry about coherence. However, you might be ok with the door sin the back to, Im not 100% sure.

System Commander
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Anderson Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:47 pm

That brings up a question that I've been wondering about. Now with 5 edition out, would it be legal to build a landraider with the weapon sponsons on the front section? Or are we limited to where they're 'supposed' to go?
Mr Anderson
Mr Anderson
Mystic

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:40 pm

Mr Anderson wrote:That brings up a question that I've been wondering about. Now with 5 edition out, would it be legal to build a landraider with the weapon sponsons on the front section? Or are we limited to where they're 'supposed' to go?

i seriously hope YOU'RE not considering this. I really don't like when people try stuff like this. pale

Keep in character and spirit of the game, and the firing arcs (from the rulebook) of the vehicle. I don't think GW should waste its time making firing arc graphics for every 40k vehicle. And something labeled a sidesponson should be a sidesponson.
gluvzer
gluvzer

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:19 pm

Exactly what Ryan said. Each of the weapons have a specific description, and in the case of the Land raider it's side sponsoned lascannons, and a hull mounted heavy bolter (45 degree front arc). Anything that would break the rules of this such as trying to mount the heavy bolter on the top and saying it's turrent mounted or moving the lascannons to the front so it wouldn't be side mounted sponsons would definitely break the rules.

Even if you scratch build a vehicle, you still have to abide by the weapon mounting description. Orks vehicles can take bolt-on big shootas which can mount anywhere. However, if they take a killcannon for example, it's a hull mounted option (I believe, it might be turret) so you'd have to abide to that building condition and it would only have a 45 degree fire arc. But, you get the idea.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Anderson Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:58 pm

Heh, now worries about that guys, I was just curious. Truthfully I like the look it has now anyway. ^^
Mr Anderson
Mr Anderson
Mystic

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:35 am

Mr Anderson wrote:Heh, now worries about that guys, I was just curious. Truthfully I like the look it has now anyway. ^^

Sorry if my reply came off sounding harsh, but I lump things like that in with stuff like crouching wraithlords.
gluvzer
gluvzer

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

gluvzer wrote:
Mr Anderson wrote:Heh, now worries about that guys, I was just curious. Truthfully I like the look it has now anyway. ^^

Sorry if my reply came off sounding harsh, but I lump things like that in with stuff like crouching wraithlords.

You better not give me guff about my crouching guardsmen sucka!

But back to the sponson thingy, even on the box of the new land raider model the weapons are on the rear? Game play aside it just KILLS me to see something as suicidal as stepping out of the door infront of 6 fully automatic bolters that are giving you covering fire. They truly shall know no fear....
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down