Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interesting Eldar Troop Option -- Thoughts?

5 posters

Go down

Interesting Eldar Troop Option -- Thoughts? Empty Interesting Eldar Troop Option -- Thoughts?

Post  Lore Weaver Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:32 am

So, I've been looking for anti-AV13/14 options for Eldar.

This concept sprung to mind.

Storm Guardians with 2 Fusion Guns runs 110 points (same as a unit of Fire Dragons, but Scoring!)

Drop them in a Wave Serpent (+145) with a Warlock with a Singing Spear (+40) and you've got a potent anti-tank squad (and another Wave Serpent)

$45 for the Guardians, +$20 for the upgrade kit, +$55 for the serpent | So it's pricey

===

Pro's over the fire dragons|  Scoring, more models, can have a warlock, comes out a bit cheaper, as dragons would take some upgrades.
Con's over the fire dragons| Less fusion guns, worse armour save (5+ vs 3+), no exarch (mmm fast shot)
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Interesting Eldar Troop Option -- Thoughts? Empty Re: Interesting Eldar Troop Option -- Thoughts?

Post  miv305 Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:24 pm

I like Strike Squads tbh, although I'd recommend splurging on the 2 power swords as well, let's them tackle small MEQ squads, aspects, etc.  Biggest thing is the Warlock can get several powers that make you somewhat tubby in HtH (+1 str or +1 WS/I). 

What's sad is that because they actually have grenades they're better at assaulting in actual game situations than Banshee's Sad
miv305
miv305
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Interesting Eldar Troop Option -- Thoughts? Empty Re: Interesting Eldar Troop Option -- Thoughts?

Post  Guest Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:10 pm

wait, do banshees not have grenades?

Back to top Go down

Post  miv305 Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:34 pm

Banshee's don't have grenades and Reaper's have no way of getting Split Fire, try reading your book their ace tongue
miv305
miv305
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Aegwymourn Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:54 pm

No Mark. Stop. Right now. I really don't want to play against an AV13 Eldar spam list, right after you retired your AV13 spam necron list Evil or Very Mad
Aegwymourn
Aegwymourn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Deadlytoaster Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:34 pm

Yes Banshee's dont have grenades. He gives his reapers split fire by adding Maugan Ra to the unit (his warlord trait gives him split fire)

Not to worry, there is not a single thing in the Eldar book that is higher than AV 12.

Onto the actual subject of the OP. I would likely take Fire Dragons over the storm guardians for one sole purpose. They are much better at what they do, and with a 3+ save they are much more likely to survive too. Lets be honest guardians with a 5+ save wont survive long vs anything, including an explosion from the tank they just wrecked. By the time you compare those guardians with the Warlock to make them "potent anti tank" they're more expensive than the dragons. I also take the exarch every single time with the dragon flamer so the squad (well exarch anyways) can fulfill a different role by having a heavy flamer for when all the tanks are dead. Lastly Dragons have more meltas in the squad meaning they can be used for one of my favorite things....MC hunting. The look on your opponents face when he thought his Hive tyrant was safe only to be reduced to ashes in one turn by a squad of fire dragons jumping out of a serpent.... *almost* makes me feel bad lol
Deadlytoaster
Deadlytoaster
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:14 am

I think the rangers and the pathfinders look like great options, but I may never deploy them unless I try out Illic Nightspear.

Right now I am banking on Guardians and Dire Avengers. They are not terribly expensive, well actually they are roughly 150 points, so not cheap either. They not have the potential to gun down MEQ and even TEQ models with volleys of shuriken weapons, and they can sit around in waveserpents for defense.

The guardians get a bright lance for anti tank, and a warlock for protection, so great cover saves, 3+ in most cases. I see them holding the home base objective.

The Dire Avengers big thing imho, is that the exarch's shield works all the time now (rather than in combat only). Also it comes a power mace for S5 attacks (yay?). So they can be mid-fielders shrugging off AP 4 or lower attacks for a couple turns in an open field.

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:43 pm

The shield works for the whole unit.  5++ saves for everyone (so 4+, 5++).  I wouldn't want to leave them mid-field without some sort of protection.  (Wave Serpent, Tanking model, or Fortuned).
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Deadlytoaster Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:16 am

no probably not. However more than ever dire avengers can be used as a quasi assault unit. The Exarch abilities make him quite powerful in close combat, though he is a 1 wound model so will likely get dusted easily. I always found the addition of counter attack to dire avengers in the new book....an interesting decision. I guess it gives them that extra little ompf in and assault before they get snuffed out Razz
Deadlytoaster
Deadlytoaster
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhaevyn Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:37 pm

at least hes going to smoke that csm champ who has to challenge him every time Smile
Rhaevyn
Rhaevyn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down