Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Revised Octo Con List

5 posters

Go down

Revised Octo Con List Empty Revised Octo Con List

Post  smackman Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:59 pm

This is the list I've decided to play at octo con and begun painting. I would like some play testing over the next couple of weeks to get to know the army before octo con.

HQ
Kharn the Betrayer

Demon Prince, MoT, Warptime, Gift, Wings

Troops
9 Beserkers with Skull Champion with Power Weapon

9 Thousand Sons Marines with Champ with Gift in rhino

9 Thousand Sons Marines with Champ with gift in rhino

10 CSM with 2 melta, icon of glory and champ with pwr wep

Heavy
2 x Defiler with 4 DCCW
Land Raider with Demonic Possession

Lots of gift is very handy, just ask Tim lol. Sorry Tim.
smackman
smackman
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Revised Octo Con List Empty Re: Revised Octo Con List

Post  Timbo Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:26 pm

I know it was effective vs me, but that was because I rolled two 2s. I'm not actually a big fan of gift. If you start your turn within 6" of something you can't shoot to death with Thousand Sons you're sort of screwed anyhow. Picking a power weapon or fist out of a unit isn't even a big deal because they have a 4+ invulnerable. The game we played had some very exceptional circumstances which might be tainting your impression of the power. I'd play a few more test games is all I'm saying.
Timbo
Timbo
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  smackman Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:23 pm

I dunno, I've always loved gift, having thousand sons locked in combat with one unit and then gifting another unit on the next turn is very effective for tying them up, don't underestimate spawn, str 3 models have a really really tough time taking them down lol, so a unit of ork boyz if the nob gets gifted is basically useless they're spend a turn or 2 taking down a spawn, guardsmen and nids are in the same boat.
smackman
smackman
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:17 am

Ive played against gift many times, and its never done anything beneficial for the opponent. It is one of those things that can work good if it goes your way, especially if you can somehow force a daemon prince to roll a 6. The only problem for those thousand sons is how close they have to get to use it.

With the new wave of more potent psychic powers popping up, there will likely be alot of psychic hoods floating around Calgary. But, if your looking to get it to work, having three is the way to do it.

If Stash beats me down this Wed. Ill have you a practice game in the next couple weeks. You'll need your practice against other Cjhaos armies, thats for sure.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  kerr_matt80 Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:33 pm

You might think about trying one of the asp sorcerers out with warptime. MoT lets you use 2 powers and warptime+force weapon to instant death HQ's I thought might work pretty good. Plus the relentless bolter blitz then charge would be swanky
kerr_matt80
kerr_matt80
Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:28 pm

I definitely dont mind the power.. I think after thinking baout for a bit.. the main reason Ive never tried it out is A) I only have one daemon prince, and he's over the top Khorne and B) I'd have to make sure I had about 4 chaos sapwns on hand to make sure I could use the gift properly.

With three dudes running around with it, your probably going to want to make sure you have a good 4-6 spawns.

Ill be curious to see how it works. I think the biggest negative might be that your always trying to get your thousand sons closer to the enemy to use it.

Have you tried a list with 3 yet?
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Veyure Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:20 pm

I'm assuming the khorn is going into the LR . The possessed option is handy if you're using it for transport purposes, but after you drop your cargo it is going to be a pretty useless 220 points since the guns won't be hitting much.

If you are using the Tsons blitz with the rhinos i would recomend something more like wind or even just plain doombolt. having the gift is cool, but if you can kill an entire squad in one round shooting, gift become pretty useless. If somehow you screw it up and end up in assault anyway then you do have several options in your list for a quick counter-attack that will eliminate the threat.

I was thinking that you prince was pretty pricey. It is usually a priority target among most generals as everyone hates fighting them. they are best made cheap and fast and you can stick em out there and hope they live.

If you lose the possession on the LR and the Gift on the prince it opens up the options to give a rhino to your tank hunting marine squad which won't do very well if it has to chase vehicles on foot. Probably wouldn't gain points from swapping gift on tsons as the best option for them would be Wind which is the same points.

Obviously if you don't like my opinion you can go make out with your cousin because i am always right cheers
Veyure
Veyure
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  smackman Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:24 pm

haha Greg, ya I'm thinking I'll switch gift for wind on the prince, I think I'll keep possession on the land raider tho, I use it more as a fortress to hold a point and even at BS 3 I'll hit stuff, i mean cmon its TL ffs [2 x 50/50 = 100 lmao, hopefully] and I'd much rather it delivered its payload instead of the usual sit on my side of the table stunned for 2 turns. The marine squad with melta's does have a rhino already. I'm gonna stick with gift for the game against you so I can get a better idea, I mean it was super effective against Tim, taking both his characters so I'd like to give it another run. The big debate is if I should:

Take away:
Both Thousands sons squads
warptime and gift and give the prince wind
1 zerker
demonic possession from the LR

and add in:
2 more squads of chaos marines with rhino and x2 melta's and champ with pwr wep and icon of glory
1 squad of 10 marines with lascannon
extra armor for the LR
smackman
smackman
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum