Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ironclad vs. regular dreadnought

3 posters

Go down

Ironclad vs. regular dreadnought Empty Ironclad vs. regular dreadnought

Post  Timbo Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:23 am

I think we can all agree that the venerable dreadnought is way overcosted now. I mean, one might as well just buy two regular dreadnoughts for the extra 45 points. However, I find the ironclad dreadnought a really interesting option. Ironclads and standard dreadnoughts are quite easy to compare in their standard configurations. They each have strength 10 power weapons in close combat. They both have a storm bolter and a melta weapon for shooting. The ironclad is 30 more points then the standard, but includes extra armour which is a 15 point upgrade. I don't know about you, but I consider extra armour a must for dreadnoughts and troop transports. Any turn that they are stationary is a wasted turn that ensures they will have much less impact on the game. If we give the standard dreadnought extra armour then the ironclad is only 15 points more. What do you get for those 15 points?

First and foremost, the ironcald has an extra point of armour on the front and side. Each point of armour in 40K is a quantum leap in protection. 13 vs. 12 means that krak grenades (that every space marine has standard) are useless from the front and side. Plasma weapons (also fairly common) are far less effective requiring a 6 to merely glance. The ironclad has 2 close combat weapons, giving it an extra attack over the standard dreadnought, and allowing it to sustain a weapon destroyed result without losing much of its effectiveness. The seismic hammer gives +1 on the vehicle damage table and the ironclad has the move through cover special rule. These are both minor advantages, but certainly bear mentioning. Your opponent won't think it's a minor advantage when he loses a vehicle to a glancing hit! The only advantage the standard dreadnought has over the ironclad is double the range on its multi-melta vs. the ironclad's meltagun.

The age-old problem with dreanoughts is how does one get them close enough to the enemy to maximize their effectiveness and intimidation? Mine always get destroyed or immobilized long before they get within assault range. The new drop pod assault special rule eliminates this problem, and also negates the range deficiency of the ironclad's weaponry in one fell swoop. The ironclad can emerge right in the middle of the enemy and fire its meltagun at a vehicle on turn 1. The enemy then has one turn of shooting to destroy or immobilize it before it can start assaulting things. Not many things enjoy fighting ironclads in assaults. Even powerfist armed infantry will likely require 4s to hit followed by 5s to glance or 6s to penetrate. A squad with a single veteran with a powerfist would have to get pretty lucky to stop an ironclad. Now, if the ironclad is the only unit in the midst of the enemy, his entire army will very likely be able to take it out with little trouble. But if you also have a land raider making a bee line for his deployment zone, and a unit that just gate of infinitied into his grill, then he will have some very difficult choices to make, very early in the game. I'm going to post my dope list in the army list section, featuring my drop podding ironclad. Give it a read and let me know what you think. And I'm interested to know how other players are using dreadnoughts. Thanks!
Timbo
Timbo
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Ironclad vs. regular dreadnought Empty i too thought about this

Post  Gulsnick Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:50 am

but then i just looted the 2 dreads for my orks Smile

, i am not a big fan of useing deep strike. it is to random for me . I would just hate for the game to end on turn 5 and have my dread just show up that turn. the new run rules make me just want to run the armoured beast up , and if nothing else it will be soaking up fire.

and a fringe benifit for the extra armour is that the dread does not lose an attack on a stuned resault in CC.

hhm , i wonder if you can still run if you are shaken .
Gulsnick
Gulsnick
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Ironclad vs. regular dreadnought Empty Re: Ironclad vs. regular dreadnought

Post  Timbo Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:31 am

The drop pods are pretty low risk. It might end up a little away from the action, but if you choose a central location it shouldn't be too bad. With a deployment and 12" range I can't see it not getting a shot at something on turn 1.
Timbo
Timbo
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  ice Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:02 am

nice theory tim! what i'd be tempted to do with a list similar to that is : get a second dread (regular or ironclad) and three drops pods. rounding up half of the drop pods can come in on the first turn, therefore two dreads can come in behind enemy lines... and it's safe to assume that two dreads are better then one.... in the third pod, maybe a tact squad for objective grabbing? really that would be up to you.
Just my thoughts on the matter
ice
ice
Mystic

Back to top Go down

Post  Gulsnick Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:31 pm

man i didn't read that drop pod assault rule. dam smurfs are broken.
yup they would be nasty with a drop pod
Gulsnick
Gulsnick
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:53 pm

now we have to figure out how to get wraithords into combat mine always dies before it can

Back to top Go down

Post  Timbo Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:26 pm

Yeah, the drop pods are neat. Obviously 1 or 3 are the numbers to use. 5 is tempting, but then there's a pretty good chance one of your units won't show up until turn 3 or 4. I just think that's too much of a disadvantage. I'm going to try one, and see how it works. Afterwards if I think 3 would be better, I might pony up the extra $70. The other crappy thing about 3 is that you have to put 3 of them together. They are the worst model to assemble in the whole GW range. On second thought, there's no way I would ever use 3.
Timbo
Timbo
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Ironclad vs. regular dreadnought Empty monolith is worse.

Post  Gulsnick Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:46 pm

Timbo wrote:Yeah, the drop pods are neat. Obviously 1 or 3 are the numbers to use. 5 is tempting, but then there's a pretty good chance one of your units won't show up until turn 3 or 4. I just think that's too much of a disadvantage. I'm going to try one, and see how it works. Afterwards if I think 3 would be better, I might pony up the extra $70. The other crappy thing about 3 is that you have to put 3 of them together. They are the worst model to assemble in the whole GW range. On second thought, there's no way I would ever use 3.

the monolith just sucked ass to put together. or mabye i just got a crappy one.
Gulsnick
Gulsnick
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down