Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rocks n stuff

5 posters

Go down

Rocks n stuff Empty Rocks n stuff

Post  Matthew G Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:48 pm

Hey guys, figured I would put this out to people since I don't really know where to look or who to ask...

I have recently gotten into X-wing miniatures, and I want to make some asteroids. I don't want to spend $ on them, as I know I can buy boxes of them from the Den, and I am thinking that a nice smallish lava? rock would make a decent asteroid. Anyone know where in toontown I can go to buy these types of rocks, or else other smaller type rocks I can make space debris from?

Thanks all!
Matthew G
Matthew G
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Rocks n stuff Empty Re: Rocks n stuff

Post  Planes Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:20 pm

Pet supply stores immediately spring to mind, as you can get that sort of stuff for aquariums and terrariums.
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew G Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:40 pm

Planes wrote:Pet supply stores immediately spring to mind, as you can get that sort of stuff for aquariums and terrariums.

Ah ha! I'll look into this. At least it's a start.

Anyone one else have any ideas?
Matthew G
Matthew G
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:43 pm

Come to think of it, a Home Depot or any other store with a landscaping section would likely also have these materials. Only down side would be the minimum buy-in for said materials, since they'd sell them in bulk usually.
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew G Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:34 pm

Tried Home Depot. No dice.
They referred me to Earlys but they didn't have either.

Early's said I should go to deptuk or something. When the weather isn't shit I'll try them. Otherwise I may have to look into a pet store. I just know a pet store will charge too much for what I'm after lol.
Matthew G
Matthew G
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  dusktiger Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:47 pm

to be honest matt, i'd just buy the asteroids from the den man.  terrarium rocks range from $8-25 PER rock.  how many asteroids do you get in the kit at the den? and what's the price?  chances are if you're driving around all day to all these stores for an alternate, you probably wasted enough gas money to make any possible savings a moot point.  i know you'll find them at Petsmart, Petland, and that other one on 8th street there, whatever it's called, but you sure wont find a better deal than what those battlefield in a box sets give you.
dusktiger
dusktiger
Lord of Titan

http://dusktigers-den.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  da bear Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:26 pm

Flight bases from the den, Styrofoam balls from Michaels, various hobby supplies from your house and boom you got an asteroid field
da bear
da bear
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew G Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:27 pm

dusktiger wrote:to be honest matt, i'd just buy the asteroids from the den man.  terrarium rocks range from $8-25 PER rock.  how many asteroids do you get in the kit at the den? and what's the price?  chances are if you're driving around all day to all these stores for an alternate, you probably wasted enough gas money to make any possible savings a moot point.  i know you'll find them at Petsmart, Petland, and that other one on 8th street there, whatever it's called, but you sure wont find a better deal than what those battlefield in a box sets give you.

Well, I already have the bases cut out, and the stems. Just waiting for the rock to attach it all lol. Kinda want to see this through, as I can build 20+ asteroids lol. I think you get... 8...? per box from the den. Those will be my absolute last resort. And it's no waste of gas at all when I am out doing other things. And Deptuk might be the perfect place as that's what they do.. So I'll be stopping there after work Monday to inquire.
Matthew G
Matthew G
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:17 pm

Yeah, those lava rocks will work the best. If the home supply stores don't have their summer products in it, not sure where to grab em besides what the other guys have mentioned about pet supply. I know Allan's definitely had them in their landscaping bins.. but youd have to buy a small bags worth.. which is still a pretty massive amount. I know my buddy had them in his front flower bed is his old house.. maybe you juat need to drive around town and snag a few off a yard.

However, some styrofoam would work to. You can texture it numerous ways including a little aerosol damage.

Did you make your asteroid bases a bit irregular? I've seen some sets made with perfectly round bases and seems a bit .. uniform? At least for x wing it seems like that.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew G Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:18 am

Yeah. I took the asteroid templates from the base set and traced them out. So yeah they're irregular.

Hopefully this deptuk place can help me out. If not, then I'll be on another hunt. 😀
Matthew G
Matthew G
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down