Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Daemons - first impressions

+7
Rhaevyn
Planes
Gulsnick
Lore Weaver
da bear
Paz
System Commander
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Daemons - first impressions Empty Daemons - first impressions

Post  System Commander Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:45 am

Had my first outing with the new chaos daemons tonight.

I took a mixed list, with Chaos as my primary and daemons as allies. I had a nurlge lord, plague marines in a land raider, heldrake, cultists, and a predator and for allies I had bloodletters, plaguebearers, a Bloodthister and a Dameon Prince.

I took two greater gifts for the Bloodthister and DP, the gfreater gifts are almost all fantastic. The only one that is a bit useless for the thirster is a roll of a 6, which I rolled for both his gifts.. first time swapping it for a weapon giving him rampage and second time having to take it. Its the warp forged armour but he aready comes with it so a bit of a waste.. but tghe other gretaer are so awesome you still have to take the chance. The Daemon Prince got Armourbane/Fleshbane, and Feel no Pain on a 4+.

Dan had two landraiders, long fangs, three big units of grey hunters, some rune priests and Njal.

Dan decided to deploy first and then I stole the initiative.. flew my big guys 36" all up in the Sapce Wolves grill and my landraider killed one of his. He wounded the the Thirster, grounded him, and got a few wounds on the prince. On my turn the rest of the army showed up including theheldrake, the big Daemons assaulted and that was about it for the game.

The bloodthirster was a bit of a beast. On the assault he gets 7 attacks.. I rolled 3 bonus attacks for his rampage three turns in a row.. so he was getting 9 attacks a roundand had 10 the first round he charged.. 10! . The daemon prince wasn't any less of a slouch with FNP on a 4+. The init 9 and 8 also meant that no one was running away from combat anytime soon and I was able to keep everyone locked up nice a sunggly until they were all dead.
The thirster and DP have always been susceptble to massed small arms fire so staying in combat is a great palce to be.

It was a bizarre game but I was able to get more of a handle of how crazy the Greater daemons are going to be. The greater gift table is all good, especially for big guys.. but also for heralds or whoever can roll on it. Youve got reroll failed invul saves, +1 wound and It will not Die, Str 8 ap1 lance, FNP 4+, and fleshbane/armourbane on your attacks... those are all pretty great. I didnt realize until the game started that rampage was a flat +d3 attacks in every fight sub phase as well.. on top of bonuses for charging and rage if you have it. Yikes.

The next game I play I'm going to try Daemons as the primary detachment so I can load up Khorne Heralds and try my hand on the Warpstorm table. Tonight was a big of a rough ride for Dan.. (sorry man!) throwing a couple new beefy guys at him.. and stealing initiative always has bad effects. Dan's dice also passed his the first two cover saves he made for his Landraider, and then literally shit the bed for the rest of the game. Mine on the other hand were rocking it.. they must of been happy the Bloodthirster was back in action. The greater daemons are going to be crazy for the army list.. there hasn't been anything as beefy as them flying arouind on the table before.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Daemons - first impressions Empty Re: Daemons - first impressions

Post  Paz Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:49 am

Pretty excited to run some greater daemons!

U ever paint up that forge world thirsted Robyn?... :p
Paz
Paz
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:57 am

I have not.. but I have every intention to now. My old Bloodthirster is tinier then my Daemon prince, but far scarier.. cant have that. I'll be getting him ready shortly.. !

I did make a full khorne daemon list.. but wasn't sure how it'd play out. Still alot of assaulting to pull things off but you can put so many wounds on the table... especially with 10 point bloodletters and 2 wound flesh hounds. Im not to keen on the Bloodcrushers just becasue they have no armour and are three tgh 4 guys.. but flesh hounds.. scout, beasts and two wounds.. Im really thinking of putting a Herald on Jugg with them for a scout move.. then putting Karanak with a big squad of Bloodletters on foot.

I really liked the idea of the mixed list between chaos and daemons more then stright daemons though.. Very strong assault and good shooting that way We'll have to see, need more practicing.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  da bear Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:42 am

Yes it was an eye opener for sure lol all I can say are the deamons are back, I think it may be time for new dice lol
da bear
da bear
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:59 am

Blood Throne seems interesting. 12/12/12(?) chariot with a 6" locus projection bubble (I guess Rage or Hatred?) It's 75 points. It's a beating in close combat, especially if you put a seksy sword on the herald (greater weapon of Khorne or the etherblade). I think a Herald with a Juggy would be a good addition to a unit of bloodcrushers. It'll be a rare game that those don't assault on turn 2. If you've got enough threats on the board you could make it happen.
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:40 am

I think the daemon list im going to work with is gonna work with for awholenis.going to have alot of fast moving scary units.

Im going to try all khorne.for a few games but im really guessing i might go back to.a daemon/csm split.. The heldrake is to amazing at dislodging units from.cover.

I definitly plan on taking 4 heralds.. Karanak, 2 on Juggs.and one on foot. Ill probably pick up a throne tjisnweek if the den stillnhas some.. It does look pretty good for a herald to ride.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:43 am

Skull Cannon might be a requirement. (grants grenades to whatever assaults its target, right? BS5 S8 blast?)
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Paz Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:35 am

Had my first game tonight. Wowza. Some really crazy stuff went down.
I was playing against Trevor's csm/daemons army.
Cool moments of the game:
-KoS coming right back on end game with warp tether (psychic shriek is also a sick, sick primaris power)
- skull taker decapitating a changer of ways, first round of combat. Mm mm good.
-spawn with mark of nurgle. Gawd. It took me 4 goddamn turns to kill 6 of these things.
-16 horrors and a herald psyker level 3: boom boom boom.

An a huge fan of this new codex. So many more options and tactics now than the last codex. No more ds-spray and pray!
Paz
Paz
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Daemons - first impressions Empty ig was only 5 zpawns :)

Post  Gulsnick Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:01 am

Thanx for the game Paz.
It took 30 mins just to roll up all our abils and psychic powers .
It think I might have pulled out a win if I didn't make so many newbie mistakes Smile.

Some big mistakes
1 I thought the alied detachment was on top of the normal force org so I had 3HQs and 4 heavies
2 I thought the monstrous creature rule made all CC weapons he used ap 3 and not the normal cc weapon ap.
3 the skull taker is a beast , I should have just shot the he'll out of the unit.
4 I thought once I killed his warlord I got the kps for it . I did not know I had to kill it again to get the kill points
Gulsnick
Gulsnick
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:47 am

Allied detachments count towards your max force org? I didnt realize that either.. I always thought it was in addition.

Monstrous creatures make all their attacks ap2.. No matter what the special weapon rule is. Thats why yhe black with on a daemon prince is.so.nice.

Yeah.. Having to kill greater daemons.twice.will be.a major pain. Just like necrons. Same thing happened.to.me this.past weekend.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Gulsnick Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:01 am

System Commander wrote:Allied detachments count towards your max force org? I didnt realize that either.. I always thought it was in addition.

Yeah that is what I thought to Paz said different . All the stuff I have seen on the the net seems they are in addition . I just assumed there was a FAQ some where that said different .

Monstrous creatures make all their attacks ap2.. No matter what the special weapon rule is. Thats why yhe black with on a daemon prince is.so.nice.

Awesome that is what I thought

Yeah.. Having to kill greater daemons.twice.will be.a major pain. Just like necrons. Same thing happened.to.me this.past weekend.
Gulsnick
Gulsnick
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:03 am

Allies get a separate FoC of the following:

1HQ
1-2 Troops
0-1 Elites
0-1 Fast Attack
0-1 Heavy Support.

And yeah, MC's override the AP on their weapons unless the weapon already has better.

As for kill points, usually things have to be dead at the end to count for it. Destroyer Lords are great at popping back up and going "are we there yet?" all the way to match end.
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:26 am

But do the allies FOC count towards your main FOC. As in.. You can take 1 hq in your allies.. But stil limited to 2 overall?

I never thought this.was the case.. But i forgot my flash stick so i cant confirm it right now.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:47 am

The Ally FoC is it's own thing, just like how the Fortification FoC slot is something that floats on it's own outside of the Basic FoC for some reason.
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhaevyn Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:49 am

the allies are a separate FoC chart and do not count toward your choices for your primary detachment. according to my reading of the section... and the generally reading across the webz.

One of the reasons allies are so strong is that you can quad up on a certain spot. 4 FA choices, or 4Heavies, or 12 troops Smile

and like the others said, all MC's have smash, and any unit with the smash ability strikes at AP2, regardless of the weapon they are holding.
Rhaevyn
Rhaevyn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Gulsnick Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:55 am

Thanx guys , that is kinda what I thought about the allies.
Why else would they say you can not ally the same army ...right ?
Gulsnick
Gulsnick
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:13 pm

Lord of Change spending 10 points for the Staff of Change seems pretty good. +2S FTW
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Gulsnick Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:25 pm

Lore Weaver wrote:Lord of Change spending 10 points for the Staff of Change seems pretty good. +2S FTW
That is exactly what I did , a daemon prince to
Gulsnick
Gulsnick
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:52 pm

Rhaevyn wrote:One of the reasons allies are so strong is that you can quad up on a certain spot. 4 FA choices, or 4Heavies, or 12 troops Smile

How do you hit 12 troops with allies? Base FoC is 2-6 Troops, yes? And Ally FoC is 1-2.
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Paz Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:01 pm

FoC- well I will go with the majority ruling... it just seems crazy, esp. when you are running daemons and chaos. like, 3 hq? 4 heavies? well, guess I'll have to add some marines!
Fighting an army of 2 csm psykers, a GD, 3 squads of oblits and another prince? ugh.

GD and ap- well this I did not know. Not that it made a difference in our game trev. You were hitting plague bearers Razz

Paz
Paz
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Aegwymourn Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:13 pm

Paz wrote:FoC- well I will go with the majority ruling... it just seems crazy, esp. when you are running daemons and chaos. like, 3 hq? 4 heavies? well, guess I'll have to add some marines!
Fighting an army of 2 csm psykers, a GD, 3 squads of oblits and another prince? ugh.

GD and ap- well this I did not know. Not that it made a difference in our game trev. You were hitting plague bearers Razz

Yea it can be nasty with the Allies FOC being separate. Although how many points are you going to have left for troops? =P
Aegwymourn
Aegwymourn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:44 pm

Thats the big limit. Your always going to need a chunk of troops !

Daemons/Csm is really gonna push this relationship.. But with GD and Dp comng in at close to 300 points each.. thats a lot.of pointage.

System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:05 pm

2 units of cultists and 2 units of pink horrors and a portal glyph. Mmmmmm 310 points. That leaves 1440 points for killy in a 1750 point list!
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Gulsnick Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:23 pm

Paz wrote:FoC- well I will go with the majority ruling... it just seems crazy, esp. when you are running daemons and chaos. like, 3 hq? 4 heavies? well, guess I'll have to add some marines!

yeah it made no difference at all .
It was a fun game and I lermt a lot , like mutilators relay do suck , and spawn are relay awesome tarpits.
Gulsnick
Gulsnick
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:45 pm

Plays Marks sneaky Tzeentchy murdlators.

EEEEEEE Purple drapes!!!!
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next