Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Daemons !

+4
Lore Weaver
Roland
Paz
System Commander
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Daemons ! Empty Daemons !

Post  System Commander Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:10 am

Gave the book.a good read through tonight and on first impressions i love it.

Every unit seems to have a use.. And if it doesnt.. Its.cheap enough that it doesnt matter.. Likr furies at 6 points.

Ive been trying to figure out what i want to do amd sort through it.. But off the bat i know ill be takng.a.bloodthirster and/or.skarbrand for sure and probably a selection of four heralds. I was thinking 2 khorne and 2 nurgle.. But the khorne heralds are just damn scary in cc..

I think what impressed me the most is the greater gift table.. Some awesome stuff for 20 points.

Im eager to get to work making a csm/daemon list..
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Daemons ! Empty Re: Daemons !

Post  Paz Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:37 am

I may be pretty loaded right now, but I as well am all starry-eyed about this codex. Too many awesome options.
When did Khorne get so good?
Paz
Paz
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:04 am

I was wondering why Karanak got so good.. then realized he was a herald.. and hounds had two wounds, scout, and were beasts. Ive got about 15 of those damn things and have used them once in 5 years.. that itself has me excited to at least put some old models to work. I wont go into the Bloodthirster and Khorne heralds.

I dont see anything game breaking or to annoying on first glance.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:50 am

So expanding my pure khorne army (ot: my phone just corrected khorne to Phoebe, I think my daemon prince just got named) is an option? Currently skulltaker, 2x15 bloodletting , daemon prince (melakor). Also have some nurgly stuff (Guo) and enough nurglings for about 9 bases.
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:14 am

That in itself is a start for sure.. Or a good ally option.

Only problem is everything is so cheap... Bloodletters 10, skulltaker 100. The daemon princes are hq unless you have a greater daemon of the same mark.. Then heavy. But still a great start.

I think ive got enough to try a 75% khorne army and about 25% nurgle.. Im excited to try it out.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:33 am

It looks as though the locus of Conjuration stacks. +1S Psychic shooting per herald. So 3 heralds makes +3 S on Tzeentch... that's S8. If you roll on Tzeentch for all of them and grab the primaris... make on of them all lvl 2 for one roll on Divination. Cast Prescience... That's 10D6 S8 AP4 twin linked shots at a 24" range.

Unit costs 180 + 70 + 70 + 95 = 415, has 23 models with T3 and a 5++ save with re-rolling 1's. Fearless (so there's a lot you'd need to kill). You'd probably average about 35 shots or so, twin linked against a flyer would get you upwards of 10 hits at S8... take that... fliers.

I need to double check the rule though...
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:34 am

4 separate units with 6D6 S6 Ap4 shots is still pretty good. At the low low cost of 250 pts, +25 if you want a roll on Divination, +50 if you want two rolls on Divination.
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:31 pm

Hey Mark you were talking bout some power than could lower invuls of daemons by 2....

Are mauler/forge fiends daemons?
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:41 pm

Roland wrote:Hey Mark you were talking bout some power than could lower invuls of daemons by 2....

Are mauler/forge fiends daemons?

Yessir they are. So you could get them a 3++ save. Only one unit per turn though, if I remember correctly... I'll double check.

Edit: It's the Grimoire of True Names, which you can pick using an Exalted Reward, so 30pts.
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:11 pm

A Mauler Fiend with a 3++ is a scary thought indeed.
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:45 pm

Im starting to figure out some neat things with some khorne units. I plan on taking Karanak for sure as a herald.. he comes with scout. I'm pretty sure I can attach him to a unit a bloodcrushers for example to get that scout move at the beginning of the game.. and then just hope there isnt alot of str 8 shooting coming down to insta gib them.. that I dont like the idea of. Karanak is tgh 5 so I guess i have the option of putting him up front or something.

Also, on the opposite end taking a unit of Hounds which are beast and have scout and putting a herald or skulltaker on Jugg and sending them across the board to casue havoc. I think Im going to try both units like that for a couple games to see what happens. I d rather have them on the board starting with a scout move then outflanking I think.

Although im going to need another box of bloodcrushers..

Which also reminds me I have to read the ruyles on chariots again to see how the bloodthrone looks. I wish youcould take the cannons in units of 1-3.. as a flat hvy support I'm not sure how I like them. WIth a heavy assault based army Id be tempted to get a couple.. but I need those slots for a pair of daemon princes. I better make a list tonight before my head explodes.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:51 pm

Keep in mind you can't assault on the first "player" turn. So if you go second, you can assault on the first turn, but your opponent gets to shoot at you.

I'm not entirely sure what I think about the Khorne Chariots either (there's two, they both look interesting). The thingy that hits stuff and makes you count as having assault grenades might be mandatory.

You can also deepstrike in some Khorne Marked Oblits from your ally slot anywhere within 6" of a Khorne standard :-)

All the Khorne character thingies might be mandatory.

--

I'm focusing on Tzeentch right now though, so don't listen to me :-) Lord of Change is mandatory on that front. He compares very favorably to a flying Daemon prince. Two rolls on Divination is pretty tops. I'm tempted to give him a greater reward in hopes of 3+ armour, S8 AP1 skyfire lance, FnP 4+, re-roll invul, Spawn Sword (ap2 for him), +1S sword... it's almost all good.
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:02 am

Yeah.. Those greater rewards are good.

Yeah.. The daemon icon thing is.a nice touch.. But still not great options and im not to.keen on mitilators even with no scatter and a potential bonus armour.

I am really considering a portalglyph amd wondering how easy it would be to hide for awhile. Its a small blast marker.. So.flat. Parking a raider in front of it would keep it safe for a few turns.. Just not sure if its worth the 30 points for only a chance at a few models. I wouldnt use it.for.a kp game.. But one with lots of bjectives... Maybe?

System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:10 pm

Loci don't stack.

You take the greatest lvl loci in the unit and apply it (so you can't apply more than one loci, ever). If you have two of the same teir, only one applies.
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:16 pm

Yup, I did read that. Was there something in my idea that was going against that?

System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:19 pm

System Commander wrote:Yup, I did read that. Was there something in my idea that was going against that?

Nope, I was musing about +1S Psychic stacking up above and having S8 pink horror shooting.
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:49 pm

Ahhhh.. gotcha. I was staritng if I missed something.

Just started to read some of the chariot problems you touched on in the other post.. ack.. what a pain.

Quite the split amongst the community on the book. I like it.. Warpstorm table and all. The games Ive been playing recently have all been later in the evening so time isn't as much of an issue.. so that doesnt bother me.. but for completitive play, I do think Daemons might bog things down.

I know Ill be taking rewards on probably every one who can, unit champs included. Thats going to be about 6-7 rolls.. especially when The daemon prince and Bloodthirster can take two rewards. Thats alot of rolls up front then Warpstorm every turn.. PLUS the fact your probably going to have a decent amount of foot troops to move. For me.. I'll have to look at the paper a few time to remember who has which reward as well, although most of the time it'll be the khorne weapon.

In a friendly game, I think it'll be awesome fun.. at an event with a time limit.. Eeee..... not sure. If thats the case I'll prob cut down numbers or rewards just to help speed things up. I cant imagine how a game with two daemon armies going at it will be like.. that'll be a long one.

System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:25 pm

Warp talons are daemons... Hmmmmmmmmm......

Nope.. They still look bad.. Even with no scatter and a 2+ invul.. Well.. 2+ invul get close to theor points but stil makes em so expensve if you give them MoT.

Last edited by System Commander on Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:25 pm

Once you get used to it, it'll be okay. It's really only 5 minutes of rolling.
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:27 pm

System Commander wrote:Warp talons are daemons... Hmmmmmmmmm......

As are Obliterators, Mutilators, Heldrakes, Forgefiends, Defilers, Maulerfiends, and Posessed.
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:40 pm

I just had to look up raptors and warp.talons. I knew the.raptors had.fear but couldnt.remember if.talons.were daemons.

Ive definitly had games where i could of used a 3+ invul on my heldrake.

Im playing Dan.tomm night with some chaos/daemons.. Ill report how it.goes.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhaevyn Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:50 pm

Lore Weaver wrote:Once you get used to it, it'll be okay. It's really only 5 minutes of rolling.
per turn, per side. and then record keeping...
Rhaevyn
Rhaevyn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:54 pm

Rhaevyn wrote:
Lore Weaver wrote:Once you get used to it, it'll be okay. It's really only 5 minutes of rolling.
per turn, per side. and then record keeping...

You only have to roll the gifts once. The warp-storm isn't any worse than Imotekh, really.
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:55 pm

System Commander wrote:
I am really considering a portalglyph amd wondering how easy it would be to hide for awhile. Its a small blast marker.. So.flat. Parking a raider in front of it would keep it safe for a few turns.. Just not sure if its worth the 30 points for only a chance at a few models. I wouldnt use it.for.a kp game.. But one with lots of bjectives... Maybe?

Portalglyph summoning Pink Horrors seems kinda good. As the Pink Horrors still get their 2D6 S5 AP4 shots, even if there's only 2 of them. If you roll a KP game, just don't throw it. (or do through it?)
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:58 pm

If its a kill point game.. You dont even have.to select it as a gift since.you'll be.exchanging your exalted reward.for.it.

I.know one thing for sure.. Ill be taking 2 flying khorne daemon princes with 2 greater rewards each.. And maybe a bloodthirster with the same. The greater reward chart is awesome.. Theres only 1 i dont really like.. Everything else fantastic.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next