Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pre-Heresy Land Speeder conversion

4 posters

Go down

Pre-Heresy Land Speeder conversion Empty Pre-Heresy Land Speeder conversion

Post  dusktiger Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:46 am

since i'll be fielding a pair of speeders in my EC collection, i wanted to try converting the current armoured-up version into something similar to the older models.

for those not aware, there was 2 other styles of speeders before the current one we're used to seeing. the first was this guy, a Rogue Trader Land Speeder:
Pre-Heresy Land Speeder conversion Old_speederPre-Heresy Land Speeder conversion 2866895997_b25c1ce070

then came this guy, which is what i decided to try and emulate; a 2nd Edition Land Speeder:
Pre-Heresy Land Speeder conversion 002Pre-Heresy Land Speeder conversion 003Pre-Heresy Land Speeder conversion 005

Here's another shot of the two unpainted:
Pre-Heresy Land Speeder conversion Speeders

So my goal was to make something smaller and less bulky, like the 2nd Ed. model, using the current Land Speeder model. Here's what i came up with for the first one:
Pre-Heresy Land Speeder conversion 00710Pre-Heresy Land Speeder conversion 00810Pre-Heresy Land Speeder conversion 00911Pre-Heresy Land Speeder conversion 01010Pre-Heresy Land Speeder conversion 01111

The weapons are just sitting loose where they are to give a rough mock-up of their locations.
Heresy-Era land speeders have a slightly different loadout than their contemporaries. firstly, they come in squads of 1-5. the passenger's gun choices are the same, but the Tornado-pattern weapons are a little different. they can take a Heavy Bolter, Havoc Launcher, Graviton Gun, or Plasma Cannon. in addition to that, they can also take up to 2 Hunter-Killer missiles per speeder. they do not have access to the typhoon launcher system.

so here's the rundown of what i did to the model:
  • i removed the bumper and the 3 raised bumps on the nose.
  • the searchlight and antenna were removed.
  • the centre metal arch was removed and the top 'dash' area was smoothed out.
  • the armour plating around the seats was trimmed down to be flush with the floor.
  • the upper air intake was removed and made flush.
  • the rear engine area was shortened by removing the entire indented section that had the access hatches.
  • the rear spoiler was removed, and the ridges on the angled sides were smoothed out.
  • the stabilizer wings were clipped off and reattached horizontally at the midpoint of the engine housing.
  • the altitude proximity sensor underneath was removed.
  • after all these changes, i took green stuff and filled in the gaps that popped up where the cuts weren't quite flush, and also filled in the indents in the front nose to make it appear more level.
  • once that set and i sanded it as smoothly as i could, i took a drill bit and made rivet holes along the front housing.

im planning on mounting the HK missiles on the diagonal spots on the side of the engine housings once the purple's been finished. this guy will have a Heavy bolter/Havoc Launcher combo with 2 HKMs, and when i get another speeder to convert, i'll make that one a Heavy Bolter/Plasma Cannon combo with 2 HKMs as well.
dusktiger
dusktiger
Lord of Titan

http://dusktigers-den.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Pre-Heresy Land Speeder conversion Empty Re: Pre-Heresy Land Speeder conversion

Post  da bear Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:48 am

Looks good man but that launcher looks a little over sized for this model, why not try a deathwind launcher from a drop pod
da bear
da bear
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  dusktiger Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:35 am

cause its twice as long and just as wide lol.
dusktiger
dusktiger
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:36 pm

dusktiger wrote:cause its twice as long and just as wide lol.

That's what she said
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Timbo Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:55 pm

Well played Horsepower, well played. cheers
Timbo
Timbo
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  dusktiger Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:19 pm

ohhhh, snap! good call. this is why we cant let you around us at work, mark. the openings for really good jokes show up way too often on the dock.

and never ever ride shotgun with dan in a rig; omg, we bust a gut every time.
dusktiger
dusktiger
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  da bear Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:33 pm

Wow the world must be coming to an end you to actually agreed on something Lmao and yes mark very well put
da bear
da bear
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down