Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Local Necron FAQ

+4
Timbo
Termagant
Lore Weaver
Roland
8 posters

Go down

Local Necron FAQ Empty Local Necron FAQ

Post  Roland Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:32 pm

Since GW hasn't put one out yet....
I'd appreciate any constructive input.
FAQ type questions:

1) Can a member from each court join the same unit?

Internet consensus seems to be "yes" ATM, unless someone can come up with a valid argument, that's what we are going with.

2) Does the Abyssal Staff go against the Leadership Characteristic on the target's profile, or the "counts as " leadership if lead by a Seargeant, or a 10 for Tyranids in Synapse range?

(Wording for Abyssal Staff): To wound rolls from the abyssal staff are made against the target's leadership, rather than toughness. No effect against vehicles.)

Consensus here seems to be majority leadership, as such that's what we'll go with.

3) How do Mindshackle Scarabs work against Dreadnaughts and Walkers without a Leadership Characteristic? (Auto-Fail, or Auto-Pass: I'd think Auto-Pass... but???)

I'd actually think AutoFail, as the scarabs are inplied to actually enter the victim's brain. Are there any Dreads or Walkers WITH a Ld characteristic? GK "Psychic Pilot" specifically say they have Ld 10 inregards to Psychic tests only, so thats out. Consensus is that Mindshackle scarab do not work vs. Walkers.

4) Multiple Schools in the same court?

Internet says "yes", I still contend "no".
I'm assuming you're saying, for example, you can't take a harbinger of despair and a habinger of the storm in the same court?
As Spamus pointed out, it's a wordy, long way of saying, "Make sure every guy is different".

5) Timing of death of Orb guy vs bonus of Orb (If the Orb lord + 2 others die, do they all come back on 4+, or just the orb lord)? (Assuming that other members of the unit live)

I'd say "yes all 4+" as it all happens at the same time.

I'd agree, as until the lord fails his RP, the orb hasnt technically been removed from the board.

6) If only a Royal Court member survives a squad, is that enough to allow an RP roll? Does the RP roll specifically intend independent characters?

I say "Yes", as the Royal Court member is now a member of the unit, but if there was an Independent Character in the squad, than "No"
Yes agree, this is how Wolf Guard work as well, they are considered a part of that unit for all purposes.
reread RP and EL, Spamus is spot on. Characters are specifically not counted for a units RP. In the case in question, (A cyptek or Lord is the only survivor from a Immortal Squad for instance), the squad has been wiped and would be dead. If everyone had been wounded the squad would be dead, but the attached character would roll for RP thru their EL.

7) Local rule for the Death-Ray / Imotek's staff (hits all models in the unit, or just one hit per dude under the line.)
I'd contend the latter.
Ouch. You had to pick the big one:) I'd agree that in spirit the latter seems "fairer", but the entry makes it pretty clear its the former. The Death Ray is also kinda the Necron's HOLY $H!T factor, isn't it? If noone is opposed, we'll use the latter version (it's same vs vehicles, and somewhat easier on mobs)
Update: After a reread and general consensus, definately the later.

Final Note: We are guaranteeing GW will release a FAQ on Friday. I hope you all realize that:)

Last edited by Roland on Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:20 am; edited 4 times in total
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Local Necron FAQ Empty Re: Local Necron FAQ

Post  Guest Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:40 pm

For the vs LD gun, I would assume it works like teh gun on teh callidus assassin (I beleive the neural shredder is a necorn atrifact so its probably teh same thing) and I beleive it worked versus every individual model's leadership.

So in Marine squad, 8 vs 8 for the troops and 8 vs 9 for teh seargent,

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:15 pm

If that indeed is how it works that would make sense, they have the same basic profile (template, Str 8 etc.) I can't find anywhere in the codex or FAQ that says you use the models base leadership. it simply says "... vs the target's Leadership...". This is main;y gonna be an issue with stuff like Tyranids (Ld 10 if in Synapse, garbage otherwise) or Dark Angels (Rites of Battle: all have Ld 10 if a captain is on the board.) It does say you use the Ld value for figuring instant death.

Still inclined to follow the rule on Ld ("If a unit includes models with different leadership values, always use the highest leadership") until I can find something that calls this out.
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:19 pm

1) Multiple Schools in the same court? Internet says "yes", I still contend "no".

2) Timing of death of Orb guy vs bonus of Orb (If the Orb lord + 2 others die, do they all come back on 4+, or just the orb lord)? (Assuming that other members of the unit live) (I'd say "yes all 4+" as it all happens at the same time)

3) If only a Royal Court member survives a squad, is that enough to allow an RP roll? Does the RP roll specifically intend independent characters? (I say "Yes", as the Royal Court member is now a member of the unit, but if there was an Independent Character in the squad, than "No")

4) Local rule for the Death-Ray / Imotek's staff (hits all models in the unit, or just one hit per dude under the line. I'd contend the latter)
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:44 pm

Mark, I editing all the new stuff into the first post so anyone else who comes in can follow it easier. Only one I'm unsure about is the multiple schools one, not sure what you're asking. Example?Smile
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Termagant Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:58 pm

I'll throw in my $0.02

1. Unknown.

2. I would say base leadership. BTW, Tyranids do not get LD 10 for being near synapse. They get fearless. Only termagants get LD 10 if within 6 inches of a Tervigon, and ny squad can use LD 8 from Old One Eye if they are near him.

3. Walkers are immune.

4. Unknown.

5. It's all simultaneous, so he gets the bonus.

6. Yes.

7. Only guys under the line. I have yet to see any evidence to the contrary.

Termagant
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:15 am

Ah thanks for the clarification on the Synapse. This is making me seriously think about this one.

For the Death Ray the line referenced is "Every unit (friendly or enemy) underneath the line suffers a number of hits equal to the number of models in the unit underneath the line."

*rereads*

..... nevermind, you're right, it's definitely the latter. The line is over 5 Boyz in your 30 man mob, the mob takes 5 hits. I think everyone asking this question is missing the last 3 words.

Sorry if I'm sounding drunk here, I have 3 ppl in my house sick w/ stomach flu, and I'm waiting for one to wake up for his bottle of pedialyte, and trying to make sure he doesnt puke in his sleep and choke to death. These are the times I love being a parent.....
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Timbo Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:23 am

2) Majority leadership. Just like how you work out stats for a complex unit. If no majority, take the highest.

7) Agree, only models touching the line are affected.
Timbo
Timbo
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  dusktiger Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:46 am

Roland wrote:"Every unit (friendly or enemy) underneath the line suffers a number of hits equal to the number of models in the unit underneath the line."

i think the order of the words is what's throwing people off; it could be read as:
every unit under the line suffers hits equal to the number of models in that unit when caught by the ray.

or you could read it as:
every unit touched by the line suffers a single hit for each model under the line as it crosses over the unit.

i can see where the confusion would come up, but in terms of physics, the latter makes more sense, because then its like firing a round from a magnetic accelerator; the apple on the stand, plus the armor plate behind that, and the concrete wall behind that, and the idiot intern behind 'that', all got hit by the round.

the former reading sounds more like Gundam, where you fired off a buster rifle shot at a single enemy mobile suit, but cause a long line of chain explosions to carry off in either direction from the first guy, killing off this army of 100 suits. the death ray's a cool gun, but it's not Gundam. though the idea of 180 ork boyz all exploding into fungi bits in a chain reaction from the mek boy is amusing to picture in your head Laughing
dusktiger
dusktiger
Lord of Titan

http://dusktigers-den.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Spamus Eatus Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:53 am

1) Yes ATM, until GeeDub FAQ's that I'm sure. The advantage is offset by the hefty tax you pay for a 2nd overlord and court.

2) I would say use majority LD.

3) No go for mindshackles

4) Can mix and match in a court. The part where it says "any # of .................... can be upgraded to a single, specific type of Harbringer..............." refers to each cryptek being a member of a particular school, not the court being an entire "class" from the same school. It's an incredibly roundabout way of saying "pick one option for each guy"

5) All 4+, the orb is a "passive" piece of wargear

6) I vote that any model with EL will ALWAYS be allowed to get back up. Characters do not count as part of the unit for RP. So if the character is the sole survivor of his unit, he can't allow his buddies to get back up, so their deaths shouldn't stop him from attempting to get up either.

7) Just hits models under the line.
Spamus Eatus
Spamus Eatus
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:40 am

So this would be a valid Court then?

Royal Court
1xLord with Scythe, Orb, Mindshackle Scarabs = 90
1xCryptek of Destruction with Gaze of Flame and Solar Pulse = 65
1xCryptek of Transmogrification with Seismic Crucible = 40
Total = 195
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Veyure Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:29 pm

Lore Weaver wrote:So this would be a valid Court then?

Royal Court
1xLord with Scythe, Orb, Mindshackle Scarabs = 90
1xCryptek of Destruction with Gaze of Flame and Solar Pulse = 65
1xCryptek of Transmogrification with Seismic Crucible = 40
Total = 195

You are correct sir.
Veyure
Veyure
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhaevyn Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:49 pm

I'm sure you can also just take as many basic crypteks as you want. No other upgrades than the points it costs to make them what they are.

The wording is slightly off, but i believe when it refers to unique war gear, it means then optional upgrades after the initial purchase.

So you could have a court of

1x cryptek of destruction
1x cryptek of destruction
1x crypte of destruction
1x cryptek of destruction, solar pulse
1x cryptek of destruction, Gaze of flame.

could be wrong.

Rhaevyn
Rhaevyn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:50 pm

I'd agree with that Mike.
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:59 pm

Mike: Your description is EXACTLY how Army Builder has them set up.
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:44 pm

Came up in game with Mike last night.

If a squad of 10-warriors and a Cryptek are completely wiped out:
1) Does the Cryptek get his everliving roll?
(if yes, and he succeeds) 2) Does the unit count as destroyed for KP if the Cryptek gets back up?
3) Does the Cryptek need to be killed to award a Kill Point? // Is he now worth an extra kill-point? (It'd be just one, normally)

Edit, we played our game as if the answer for 1) was "No" so 2 & 3 were moot. However, the "background generals" were saying that we were "doing it wrong". It's a good thing I don't have an audience when I'm getting intimate with the Wife.
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhaevyn Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:30 pm

As the rules are written Mark, i think we had the wrong of it.

The model has Everliving, there would be no need of it to have everliving unless this was the case.
it could just have RP and get all the same benefits if it wasn't supposed to stand back up.
Your never going to see a Cryptek outside of either A) its royal court, or B, leading a unit. in which case RP rules would apply.

LOGICALLY, they would NOT have everliving and just have RP, and act just like wolf guard. but this is GW...

I don't know why they would do this, and i think its an oversight and inconsistent rule, but its still makes more sense than the opposite, as written. It is probably a writers ego thing. nobody like to see their "art" go unused. I wrote that rule! I'm going to slap it on every model i can get away with...

Now that said. if hes not enough for the unit to stand back up, then when (IF!) he stands up hes just a dude from the royal court. i would say that i still earned the KP for the unit, and thus the game was still a tie.
Rhaevyn
Rhaevyn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:03 pm

Dammit! You're not having fun right! (Best quote I've heard in a while related to 40K)

I'd think in regards to KP missions (only place this would matter), it'd be analogous to Thrawn, no? He comes back, but now he's an extra KP.
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:05 pm

Would he be scoring then?
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:17 pm

I'd say yeah, he's still scoring. He becomes part of the unit for all purposes, no?
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhaevyn Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:30 pm

all purposes except reanimation protocols, hah.
Rhaevyn
Rhaevyn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down