Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Local Ruling on the Devastation Banner

+4
judchic
Aegwymourn
Roland
Lore Weaver
8 posters

Go down

Local Ruling on the Devastation Banner Empty Local Ruling on the Devastation Banner

Post  Lore Weaver Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:33 pm

Hey,

I'd like to get some local clarity on the Devastation Banner for league games (should it come up).

The devastation banner wording ---

Any friendly Codex: Dark Angels units
within 12" of this standard re-rolls
failed Morale and Pinning tests. In
addition, all friendly Codex: Dark Angels
units within 6" of the standard treat
their boltguns as Salvo 2/4 weapons.

-----

I would argue that this would include:

- Boltguns (ie: Marines)
- Twin-Linked Boltguns (ie: Bikes)
- The Boltgun half of a combi-weapon (ie: Searg w\ a combi)
- Hurricane Bolters (as they count as 3 twin-linked boltguns fired as a single weapon) (ie: Landraider Crusader)
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Local Ruling on the Devastation Banner Empty Re: Local Ruling on the Devastation Banner

Post  Roland Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:37 pm

I'd agree with you exactly Mark. If it uses the Boltgun profile, it works.
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Local Ruling on the Devastation Banner Empty Re: Local Ruling on the Devastation Banner

Post  Aegwymourn Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:40 pm

The only one I'd contest is perhaps the Hurricane Bolters. Yes it fires with the profile of 3 twin-linked boltguns but technically is not a boltgun itself. Until GW faqs it I don't think there is enough information one way or another to make a decision.
Aegwymourn
Aegwymourn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  judchic Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:04 pm

I could see them ruling just stock Bolters. Has no one realized how insane bikes are with the banner? 4 twin linked str 4 shots at 24" per bike? Umm...
judchic
judchic
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:16 pm

I'd like the next codex to come with a button, ya know, like the "That was easy" buttons at Staples? Except with these, everytime we find an error or ambiguous phrasing, it shocks teh author in question, and Jervis for being a lousy "editor".

I figure the next codex after would be the most tightly written, comprehensively proof-read book GW will have ever produced.....
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhaevyn Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:20 pm

i'm ok with it even on the hurricane for now. if playtesting shows it to overly abusive, i can see that opinion changing.

But really... i'm usually fairly happy to see a landraider crusader hit the table than any other variant. ... and tbh, i'm more than happy to see devestation banners hit the table too... it means somebody paid points for a command squad that doesn't score =)

Honestly. The entire back and forth argument seems to be much ado about nothing. generally... how scared is anybody of bolter shots? how often do you want to pay points on a command squad so that it can stay in range of tactical marines who have to stand still to make use of the salvo 4. I just dont get it.

Rhaevyn
Rhaevyn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhaevyn Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:23 pm

Roland wrote:I'd like the next codex to come with a button, ya know, like the "That was easy" buttons at Staples? Except with these, everytime we find an error or ambiguous phrasing, it shocks teh author in question, and Jervis for being a lousy "editor".

I figure the next codex after would be the most tightly written, comprehensively proof-read book GW will have ever produced.....

the problem is compounded by the cost of the books too. shelling out $60 for a book only to have it faqed and errata-ed to hell 2 weeks later just seems like i was cheated.
Rhaevyn
Rhaevyn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:59 pm

I would agree with Mark 100%. Why does it feel so wrong.to say that.. .. .. Smile
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  dusktiger Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:05 pm

the issues you guys are finding with the typos and erratas i tried looking for in my copy but i guess the ipad ones auto update the corrections for you. even when they change entire paragraphs etc, my ipad displays it with the revisions, so that's really nice. i think im going to drop paperback all together for GW since this way i have the relevant faq changes already in my ebook version and dont have to carry around pages and pages of FAQ.

in regards to the devastation banner, i'd have no problem facing it as you described mark, as that's how i'd understand it as well. the only ones it'll adversely effect are horde opponents, but really, that banner makes you're higher point cost, lower model count, army have an easier time fighting those odd 100+ infantry-type army lists, and there's nothing wrong with that.
dusktiger
dusktiger
Lord of Titan

http://dusktigers-den.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  judchic Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:20 pm

So 2 marine squads within 6 of it would get 80 bolter shots.
No one is batting an eye at that?
I can't think of anything with that much firepower as troops.
Quick mental math:
80 shots = 54 hits = 27 wounds = 9 dead marines or 4 dead terminators.
Overwatch average would be around 24 hits...
judchic
judchic
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:28 pm

No ones batting an eye at it.. Its scary ! Just have to kill that banner. I dont think itll be in the long run.. You can.measure at any time so you know whats gonna be able to hit you.

NOW.. an all bike army with the banner.. Yikes. Thats something i wouldnt be lookng forward to facing.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:43 pm

Just do what Mike did, table me on turn 5! (I even had misfortune as one of my psychic powers!)
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhaevyn Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:53 pm

dunno. those bolters have a 24 inch range and need to remain stationary. i played against this very thing not that long ago... and its fairly easy to stay out of range. the 2 units + command squad become static firebases.

I can just imagine the Deff rollah drivers eyes light up when he lines up accross the table from all those squishies. Robyn delivers his zerkers via land raider. etc etc.

Yes its scarey if you let yourself get caught by it. I'm sure it will be great against 80 orks on foot, or the khorn army posted here earlier. But everything has got to have a counter.
Rhaevyn
Rhaevyn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  judchic Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:47 pm

true, but if its on bikes that this gets scary. the bikers take 2 meltaguns/plasma and they can torrent fire anything to death using melta/plasma to crack armor if need be. the real big thing is the threat range is 36" instead of stationary 24" so no hiding and if you only got 18-24" guns against that your kinda hooped.
judchic
judchic
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  miv305 Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:58 pm

A Ravenwing army using this banner won a Seattle GT already. Sammael, a Command Squad, 6 Bike Squads with their Attack Bike buddies, and some Black Knights just blew everything off the table (which is awesome btw). Was a 2000pt tourney and the guy showed all the Tzeentch demon players what's what Smile
miv305
miv305
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down