Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is the Big Muscled Action Star Gone?

+2
Paz
gluvzer
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Is the Big Muscled Action Star Gone? Empty Is the Big Muscled Action Star Gone?

Post  gluvzer Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:05 am

No more do we see the likes of Arnie walking through a hail of machine gun fire and hip-shotting 100 bad guys in ten minutes. What happened to the passing of the torch, that occured in "The Rundown"? When Arnie did a cameo wishing The Rock luck and basically saying you are the new action star.

But instead we have this:

http://www.straight.com/article-281324/vancouver/tooth-fairy

I know Arnie did some movies like this (well, maybe not like THIS), but Hollywood has definately moved away from the big, built action star in favour of the "in-shape" guys you see now. I guess big muscles don't make you a better fighter, or better at shooting guns anymore. Or maybe the Schwartz, needs to quit politics and get together with "The Body" and the Weathers behind a camera again.

Poor The Rock, I will probably never see any movie you are in from 2009 and on.
gluvzer
gluvzer
Lord of Titan/Hero of ToonCon/Ayatollah of Rock n' Rolla

Back to top Go down

Is the Big Muscled Action Star Gone? Empty Re: Is the Big Muscled Action Star Gone?

Post  Paz Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:00 pm

Agreed Ryan. Both diesel and Johnson have been doing pretty lame movies lately (the pacifier anyone?). I just pick up Terry "the hulk" Hogan's oeuvre; Thunder in paradise 1,2, and 3, all in one set. I grew up watching hulkamania, Arrrnold, and Stalone kicking butt, and taking names with their pythons out and ready for neck breaking.
I think its more a cult of personality thing. action stars now are leaner, more metrosexual. The muscle busting glory of the 80's and 90's has faded, to be replaced with the huge browed, broken nosed MMA fighters. No personality!
Paz
Paz
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Is the Big Muscled Action Star Gone? Empty Re: Is the Big Muscled Action Star Gone?

Post  gluvzer Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:20 pm

Agreed. 1, 2, and 3, Nice Find!

I was also thinking about recent trends of action flicks, and how they are trying to make them more appealing to women as well. Meaning romance. Did Arnie ever do a romantic scene? I honestly can't remember one, and I think I would because it would probably be awkward.

At leasts costs for body oil are alot less.
gluvzer
gluvzer

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:25 pm

I know you dont need me to weigh in on my feelings about Tooth Fairy. Rock came out looking so strong to.. Rundown is a great flick.. and I can even appreciate Scorpion King for what it was. Walking Tall was a pale glimmer of the original and Im not even menioning Doom.. and these comedies he's been doing have been garbage. Vin Diesel has a few action gems to, but for the most part they've been hit and miss as well. I dont know where the next big action star is, I want to hold out hope he's still out there..

*sigh*

Ive got high hopes for the Expendables, but the trailers that leaked a few months back looked absolutely horrible. Im hoping its becasue they were really, really rough cuts.. but still..

On a more positive note, Arnie presented an award at the Golden Globes, and he was looking great. He was tanned up, looked a bit bulkier.. man, he could strap on the camo paint and be busting up alien ass in no time. Just think how much cooler Avatard.. I mean Avatar would of been if instead of sending in gunships.. they just sent in Dutch.

Screw that sh%t, Im dedicating my spare time to re-writing Avatar for just that purpose... Dutch vs. The Giant Smurfs.. and you can guess how who'll win that fight. The one good thing that has come out of it though was Laser Cats 5 from Saturday Night live this past weekend.. James Cameron took of his giant douch cap and made fun of himself a bit. It wasa mix of Laser Cats, Terminator, Aliens, Avatar and Titanic.

I could go on for hours and hours about action movies these days, but I =I=censor=I= and whine about it so often you guys dont need to here about it from me. Here's hoping A-Team will be as awesome as Im hoping it will be..
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guardian Angel Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:28 pm

I am pretty sure there was a romantic scene or two in Conan the Barbarian.....

Well, perhaps not the touchy feely romance that the ladies like.....but there was definately rolling around on the rug..... lol
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:36 pm

Dutch vs. Giant Smurfs....Write it!! And I as well saw Laser Cats 5 and it was pretty sweet!!

The trailer I saw for A-Team looked awful. Scott told me about it so I had to check it out. They are definately going for the realistic aproach Rolling Eyes

The trailer had them falling out of a air transport...in a tank....with B.A. shooting the machine gun while they're falling. **Insert A-team song here**
gluvzer
gluvzer

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:37 pm

Arnie did have a romance scene in Conan with Valeria, but that was about as "romantic" as things got. He had a few kissy-kissy things here and there like a bit in Total Recall, Junior, Twins, crap like that but it was all minor. No gentle caresses or pillow talk or showing your vulnerable side or gazing into each others eyes.. ugh.. no time for that, too many bad guys must be killed, and thats the most important thing.

Action movies are at their best when there is NO kissy-kissy.. and all shooty-punchy. I think thats why I liked them so much as a kid.. that was gross back then! There is the odd, very odd time it's acceptable but there better be some visible boobs involved, thats all Im saying. For example, Conan and 300..

Anyway, I better get back to work before I start whimpering again..
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:19 pm

There's a few older movies coming around for remakes/sequels that I'm hoping will be good

Clash of the titans
A-team
Conan
Predators
Also I just found out that a Universal Soldier 3 (Starring both Lundgren and Van Damne) released a couple weeks ago, not sure how it was though..

Then there is, of course, the Expendables as Robyn pointed out. If done well I think it could be a very excellent movie.

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:35 pm

PREDATORS....... NOOOOOOOOO! Tell me it isn't so. For the love of god, they can't redo those
gluvzer
gluvzer

Back to top Go down

Post  Paz Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:04 pm

I hear its not a redo, but a retcon sequel to predator 1, ignoring AVP and predator 2 I guess. Though I hear it starts captain metro hisself, that kid from The OC, and Jennifer's body...
Paz
Paz
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:10 pm

Predator is NOT being remade.

Predators is an homage to perhaps the greatest sequel in Aliens. Alien - Aliens. Predator - Predators.

Y'know, I hate to be the devils advocate but we look back at these movies and love them NOT because they're good (I'm not talking about the GOOD ones, I mean like Raw Deal 'n stuff) but I think we mostly like them for bits of awesome and for the whole '80's trip it gives us. I like Commando mostly because when I saw it the first time I didn't think it was a cheesy action flick. I thought it was totally realistic that Arnie could do that =I=censor=I= because he was the =I=censor=I= hero! Of course he's the worlds best soldier, look at the dude!

The action star IS dead. But truthfully I can't complain if I'm being honest. We don't get "Predator" or "Conan" but we did get "Iron Man" and "The Dark Knight". I'm okay with that mostly because I can still watch those old movies.

I miss Arnie and Stallone etc. but somewhere down the line we cashed in our Action Figure hero's for actors. I'm MOSTLY okay with that. I mean, sure it's a little faggy that the Rock COULD have been what we were all hoping for and instead he's doing Tooth Fairy and all, but he DID sign a deal with Disney. I think he's near the end of it. He did some Witch Mountain thing and I think this is either his last obligation or near last. If he get's some good gross out of these then maybe we might see him get some of the good stuff. But truth is Rock was doing action movies, which weren't great and didn't make a fuckin' dime. He needed to do these movies to get bankable again and soon we might see some good stuff.

In the mean time... go see Ninja Assasin! If ever there was a cure for the 80's nostalgia it's a 100cc dose of ninja stars directly to the heart! WHAT A FLICK! Failing that, we can always go back and rent the good stuff. Snake Pliskin aint' dead... he's just in the 7 movies for 10 bucks section!
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:13 pm

romantic subplots ruin 60% of movies for me including the temple of doom, that chick in that was sooooo annoying. next time she goes indeeeeeeeeeeee hang her with that handy dandy rope of yours Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:16 pm

The one good thing that has come out of it though was Laser Cats 5 from Saturday Night live this past weekend.. James Cameron took of his giant douch cap and made fun of himself a bit. It wasa mix of Laser Cats, Terminator, Aliens, Avatar and Titanic.

sorry to double post but i had to express my love for laser cats its in my top 25 best things ever

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:32 am

Good discussion on my favorite genre movies, action ones. Makes my heart warm to know everyones feeling the same way.

My co-worker went to Ninja Assassin becasue I told him how great I thought it was going to be.. he hated it. He said he got bored and was pissed about the reverse heart thing or something lame. I saw it after that, and like Scott.. had an awesome time. And Godamm,, Sho Kosugi was looking like one mean SOB.. he really needs to get in more movies.

I must now go check out the info for Predators, this is the first Ive heard of it!
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:52 am

Just went to check up on Predators.. Im a bit conflicted it.

It looks like its starring Topher Grace.. from the 70's show for those who dont know. Im not sure what hes playing, but if he's part of grizzled and experienced army vets.. thats a tough sell. Maybe hes a predator. As well, Adrian Brody is in it.. which I find very strange.. but hes a good enough actor he can pull off whatever they through at him. Danny Trejo.. sure thing, he looks mean and nasty.. but then the most interesting thing I noticed down atthe bottm was Oleg Taktaroff. H'es a monstrous russian dude, who fough way back in UFC 3 or 4 or something. I hadn't heard his name for at least 15 years, so was a bit surprised. Seems hes been making movies since his UFC fights.. I hope hes in the merc group though, not a predator.

Anyway, not sure what to think yet. I dont like the idea the Arnie's super band of bad ass dudes could barely handle the one predator, and this pansy looking squad fighting against a handful seems lame.. but who knows. Ill still go see it!

I checked a few other things while I was floating around. They've finally cast the new Conan movie.. and gave a new guy.. Jason Momoa the role. I think he's a Hawaiian or something, Im not sure. However, checking out his other stuff.. apparently he got the role of Khal Drogo in the Game of Thrones HBO series.. which hasnt been picked up yet, but has the pilot filmed and is waiting for the go head. The cast for that looked great, so Im really hoping it goes through.. damn would that be awesome.

System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:29 am

I've been anticipating that Game of Thrones series as well. Really looking forward to it, but I really really wish George R. R. Martin would finish up that last book.

Danny Trejo? I'm pretty sure that dude kills predators in real life. But I don't think he'll be able to laugh like Billy.

The only one I don't like the sound of is Grace. Carl Weathers has probably been phoning the producers 5 times a day!
gluvzer
gluvzer

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:59 am

gluvzer wrote:
Danny Trejo? I'm pretty sure that dude kills predators in real life. But I don't think he'll be able to laugh like Billy.

Hehe.. yes.. awesome.

I find it hard to see what Grace will be doing in the flick.. maybe he bulked up or something and the infamous greased up bicep handshake will be re-visited with him and Trejo.. wow, .. if somethng like that ever happened, I think I would burn down the theater..

Poor Carl.. Im going to go home and watch Action Jackson now just for his sake..
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:38 pm

System Commander wrote:
Poor Carl.. Im going to go home and watch Action Jackson now just for his sake..

Yeah, it's too bad, he can only seem to get small jobs where he makes fun of himself. Ala, SNL governor of any state commercial, and his roll as an acting coach for Tobias in Arrested Development.
gluvzer
gluvzer

Back to top Go down

Post  Paz Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:51 pm

That game of thrones show sounds super awesome. very cool books (not stupid high fantasy garbage) and its gritty and gory look would be best on HBO.

I think predators could be cool, if the army guys are spec ops with really advanced weapons or some such, like 6 "shooters" from the movie of the same name. Muscle-bound guys never really had a chance against an even more muscular alien with sweet plasmacasters.
Paz
Paz
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:23 pm

Paz wrote:Muscle-bound guys never really had a chance against an even more muscular alien with sweet plasmacasters.

Are you kidding me? Arnie beat that crap out of that fat bastard with a spear he made in the jungle. Phaa.. special weapons. He would of boot stomped him out but he needed to take a bit of a beating to lure him into that trap.. it was all part of the plan.

If their going to have special weapons, cool... but they still need to be huge to carry it around with. You need greased up muscles to fight a predator.. thats just basic physics man..
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Cjihad Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:15 pm

System Commander wrote:Oleg Taktaroff. H'es a monstrous russian dude, who fough way back in UFC 3 or 4 or something. I hadn't heard his name for at least 15 years, so was a bit surprised. Seems hes been making movies since his UFC fights.. I hope hes in the merc group though, not a predator.

Love Oleg Taktarov he's a bad ass. He won UFC 6 against Tank Abbot and probably would have won UFC 5 against Dan Severn had the fight not been called because Oleg Had too much blood in his eyes. After the fight got called because of all the blood, he got mad and said that in Russia they would have just kept going... As for him being a Predator I find it unlikely as he's only 6 feet tall.
Cjihad
Cjihad
Mystic

Back to top Go down

Post  Paz Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:30 pm

Robyn= I wasn't so much saying muscles lose to spec. weapons, I ment without Pythons of Steel, eric forman is gunna need some sort of robot suit or laser to take out a pred.
Paz
Paz
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:11 pm

Ahhh. that makes sense. I definitely see your point.. however, Im going to have to go with the assumption that the dude has packed on an extra 200 pounds of pure muscle...
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:26 pm

System Commander wrote:Ahhh. that makes sense. I definitely see your point.. however, Im going to have to go with the assumption that the dude has packed on an extra 200 pounds of pure muscle...

I'd like to believe it Robyn. But I'm with Paz on this one, Foreman will probably be some scientist guy.
gluvzer
gluvzer

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:34 pm

Paz wrote:Robyn= I wasn't so much saying muscles lose to spec. weapons, I ment without Pythons of Steel, eric forman is gunna need some sort of robot suit or laser to take out a pred.

It was already done in Ailen 2. (I think it was the second one). Having a heavy weapon carried by a robotic arm on a vest, ironically the extra weight of the arm wasnt too much for the lean soldiers, do not have the same visual appeal as a gantling gun cradeled in the arms of it's user.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next