Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Terran's Altansar Workshop

+2
evilsuns10
Terran
6 posters

Go down

Terran's Altansar Workshop Empty Terran's Altansar Workshop

Post  Terran Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:43 pm

Hey, so I thought I would post some pics up of stuff I have recently finished. I will also use this as a future WIP forum for models I am working on, seeing as how there is a healthy painting community here. I apologize, the pics are the best I can get from my camera at the moment.

Anyway, my most recent creation:

Terran's Altansar Workshop 100_1515

Terran's Altansar Workshop 100_1516
This pic is a tad bright, but it shows the color a bit better.

Terran's Altansar Workshop 100_1518

Terran's Altansar Workshop 100_1517
Once again, a tad bright, but shows a bit more of the color.

Anyway, I made this dude from the following pieces: Old-style Striking Scorpion lower body, Warp Spider Exarch upper body after I removed his arms, and Howling Banshee Mirror Swords (those swords are so great for whenever you need an Eldar power weapon...). Too me about 5-6 hours to repair the damage from his surgery (my green-stuff ability still sucks) and another 5-6 hours to paint.

I may end up using his as another Warp Jump Generator toting Autarch with a Death Spinner. We shall see.
Terran
Terran
Assassin

Back to top Go down

Terran's Altansar Workshop Empty Re: Terran's Altansar Workshop

Post  Guest Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:00 pm

Very nice, I like the designs on the back, and the blue on the ?side-arm guns? (forgive me, I'm not very clear on eldar stuff). Have you considered doing object source lighting on the metal surfaces surrounding the blue? (I'm under the assumption they're glowing)

The only criticisms I'd have would be looking at the helmet, did you thin your paints? Also, I think the helmet could use highlights similar to what you did on the leg armour, it just looks a little bit "flat/2D", while the rest of the model pops out very nicely.

Back to top Go down

Post  Terran Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:16 pm

Usually I do thin my paints, in this instance I just didn't thin them enough. For the record, though, my camera is very unforgiving when the flash is on, and it is actually pretty hard to tell without being obscenely close to the model.

When it comes to his Death spinners, well, I am not sure if they are supposed to be glowing or not. They essentially shoot fishing line at the enemy to shred them, but it is likely glowing fishing line. I likely could, but I would hate to ruin the arms as they are. Maybe a project for a day where I feel truly ambitious.
Terran
Terran
Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post  evilsuns10 Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:26 pm

Looks good i like the detail on the back..
evilsuns10
evilsuns10
Mystic

Back to top Go down

Post  master of the deathwing Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:29 pm

Yeah, taking close up shot of minis with the flash on only works if you've painted the model perfectly. Even then it will still make the model look ALOT worse than it actually is. Looks good on the pics, but i'm it will look even better in person.
master of the deathwing
master of the deathwing
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:04 pm

nice model and nice paint job

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:40 pm

This is a link to a real quick and easy way of painting gemstones. You don't have to do it in as many steps as he's outlined but the idea of going from black to your color to a white hot spot will look pretty fantastic on your gems.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/article/aid/41

I think you should give this a shot. It's really easy to do!
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Terran Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:00 pm

@ Scott. Thanks for the link. Ironically, that is the guide I use for my gems (well, an abridged version anyway). I just need a new pot of skull white, as mine has gone 'a la brick'.
Terran
Terran
Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:58 pm

It looks like you started from a medium green, rather than a black to me. Did you start from green, or black?
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Terran Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:53 pm

As I said, an abridged version. I have started with black before, but didn't like the results. However, I also didn't know how to blend all to well at the time, so maybe I should give it another go. Constructive criticism noted. Wink
Terran
Terran
Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post  Terran Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:37 pm

So I got into my bits box again, and decided to kit-bash another character to use as a cheap Autarch to get stuck with assault troops (i.e., Banshee's or Scorpions). I actually think he will look pretty snazzy.

Components I used:
Fire Dragon Fire Pike
Old Style Striking Scorpion head (what was left of the model whose legs I cut off).
Storm Guardian chainsword
Dire Avenger torso
Storm Guardian Legs

He doesn't have a banner pole, so I tried to green-stuff what will hopefully look like a flayed deamon-skin banner. We shall se how it turns out.

Terran's Altansar Workshop 100_1528

Terran's Altansar Workshop 100_1529

Terran's Altansar Workshop 100_1530
Terran
Terran
Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post  Terran Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:31 pm

Ok, so it has been a while since I posted anything in here. So I thought I may as well post some pics of my recently completed Phoenix Court of Khaine:

Jain Zar:
Terran's Altansar Workshop 100_1617

Feugan:
Terran's Altansar Workshop 100_1619

Maugan Ra:
Terran's Altansar Workshop 100_1621

Karandras:
Terran's Altansar Workshop 100_1623

Baharroth:
Terran's Altansar Workshop 100_1627

Asurmen:
Terran's Altansar Workshop 100_1625

The Avatar of Kaela Mensha Khaine (who I still need to base):
Terran's Altansar Workshop 100_1615

The Court:
Terran's Altansar Workshop 100_1629
Terran
Terran
Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:08 pm

sweet paint job, and very nice sculpting on the exarchs

So, just wondering, does every Eldar Player at the Den Play craftworld Altansar?

I know at least 3 are.

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:10 pm

Thats a great looking group. Have you had a chance yo use them in an Apoc game yet?
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Terran Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:36 pm

canadin wrote:sweet paint job, and very nice sculpting on the exarchs

So, just wondering, does every Eldar Player at the Den Play craftworld Altansar?

I know at least 3 are.

Being that I am the only Eldar player that actually plays his Eldar currently (other than yourself, of course), I am curious who the 3rd player is?

But thanks for the compliments. Wink
Terran
Terran
Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:14 pm

Tyson, I believe. Although technically he's Ulthwé, since he uses eldrad.

Back to top Go down

Post  Paz Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:20 pm

They are all impostors! Altansar was taking a vacation in the eye of terror. As memory serves, time works differently in the eye, so there could be separate Altansar craft-worlds, running about at different times, all based off non-linear time streams. Shocked brain explode quantum bomb!

But really, Altansar are the bad boys of the Eldar, hanging around the wrong crowd and such. Lets see some Craft-world Ma'lantai or Craft-world Idharae. Now those would be some emo Eldar, all doomed to death by Tyranids and the invader's chapter, respectively.
Paz
Paz
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:47 pm

Oh you changed your avatar pic, I thought you were someone new.....

So um, that makes me, you, and you.... 3

------------------------------------------------------------------

Altansar is a sweet craftworld though, I love playing Maugen Ra, The Sniper with a pinning rending assault 5 machine gun with an executioner built in that ignores cover

Back to top Go down

Post  Paz Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:50 pm

You do know that Maugan Ra, while from Altansar, does not specifically fight for them. Each phoenix lord will move around from area to area, based on where the body dies and the armor inherited, and what events may befall the Eldar race.
Paz
Paz
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Terran Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:16 pm

Paz has hit the nail on the head there. The Phoenix Lords are a somewhat random force in the galaxy, going where they are needed. Oh, and on the topic Maugan, you do realize that you can't use Fast shot and Crack shot in the same turn, right? So he is either Assault 5 rending pinning, or Assault 4, rending, pinning, ignoring cover, re-roll to wound. The exarch Power Fast Shot specifies that it can't be used in the same turn as Crack Shot.

To be truest to the old Altansar fluff, you actually can't use psyker's. The reason being that 10,000 years in the Warp has essentially resulted in the death or corruption of anyone who uses advanced psychic abilities. I don't follow that fluff, personally.

My initial reasons for going 'Altansar' were: 1) I liked the Black/deep Red colour scheme, and 2) the small amount of background fluff is pretty cool and open to some flexibility.

Orange and Grey is (to me) a nauseating colour scheme. Idharae can go away. Wink

when it comes to Eldrad, well, Eldrad himself is Ulthwe. But the wonderful thing about our game is that it is a big galaxy, and sometimes other immensely powerful characters can arise. Maybe a psyker that equals the Farseer of Ulthwe. Smile
Terran
Terran
Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:35 pm

Terran wrote:
when it comes to Eldrad, well, Eldrad himself is Ulthwe. But the wonderful thing about our game is that it is a big galaxy, and sometimes other immensely powerful characters can arise. Maybe a psyker that equals the Farseer of Ulthwe. Smile

"This is Bob. He's as good as Eldrad, therefore he 'counts as'. Clearly I'm the only person who found him, so he gets to be in my army."

(copy and paste him into your signature so he may take over... err... the galaxy!)

Back to top Go down

Post  Terran Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:51 pm

Hell's yeah. Though I would personally go with Ricky.
Terran
Terran
Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:07 am

Actually I called games workshop on the thing with Maugen Ra, He CAN use both crackshot and fast shot in the same turn. The codex states than an EXARCH may not use both in one turn, PHEONIX LORDS are not exarchs, and therefore they can use both.

Also, I understand that Maugen doesnt fight for Altansar specifically, which is why my army is like Corsairs/Saim-Hann/Altansar. A small group of warriors that attack throughout the galaxy. Maugen Ra just seems to have been following them.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:13 am

Terran wrote:My initial reasons for going 'Altansar' were: 1) I liked the Black/deep Red colour scheme, and 2) the small amount of background fluff is pretty cool and open to some flexibility.

The reason I play Altansar's name is that my army was 1st Saim-Hann, untill I started to dislike only using 1 Heavy Support, I then went Corsairs to play more heavies. Then, i read up a bit on Altansar, and my army was already red/black, and including more reapers, and usually Maugen Ra. So I melded Corair flyers with Altansar Aspect Warriors.

Back to top Go down

Post  Terran Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:40 am

canadin wrote:Actually I called games workshop on the thing with Maugen Ra, He CAN use both crackshot and fast shot in the same turn. The codex states than an EXARCH may not use both in one turn, PHEONIX LORDS are not exarchs, and therefore they can use both.

Taking this to PM's. It is called having your cake and eating it to. It is the kind of min./maxing BS that really pisses me off.
Terran
Terran
Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down