Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New League - New Army

+8
Dana
Mr Anderson
littlehurc
gluvzer
HiveMindRuik
Paz
Guardian Angel
System Commander
12 posters

Go down

New League - New Army Empty New League - New Army

Post  System Commander Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:38 pm

So, even though I have a ton of Chaos stuff on the go, I think I need a switch to a different army for the next league. Is anyone else switching things up a bit?

I have a few choices and here's what I'm thinking.. so forgive me as I talk this out and hopefully try to convince myself of one decision r the other.

Daemonhunters with Guard - I'll prob field a Inqusitor/retinue, an assassin, and a Landraider loaded with Termies. For the Guard portion, I'd field a platoon with a couple infantry squads, probably Autocannons, a Heavy weapon squad with Lascannons, and a special weapons squad. Not sure how good it would do, but I have a strong mobile shooting force with a good chunk of heavy weaponry. Id only have one or maybe two units if I take termies that wouldnt be troops choices..

Chaos Daemons - Ive been collecting a Daemons list since the codex came out and have played two whole games with them. I've three squads of Bloodletters, a unit of Bloodcrushers, Daemonettes, Horrors, Flamers, and about 15 Flesh Hounds. I ve got a Bloodthirster, potential Skarbrand model, and another Prince on the way. The only thing Id need to pick would be a Soulgrinder.. I think the firepower is really needed with Daemon codex. Id try to stick heavy with the Khorne theme, but I'd field two units of horrors and a pack of flamers just for a biut of shooting power. I dont have much experience with Daemons though, playing Paz only twice and Joe twice in recon games.

I'm leaning towards Chaos Daemons because Ive never player them.. but Id like to take advantage of some of the guard stuff while is fresh and new. I could play a straight guard list, but Id need to buy alot more stuff to make it fun... and my guard stuff is split.. half catachan, half cadian.. so it looks pretty mix matched on the table. If I went with guard/daemonhunters, Id be temped to pick up an armoured sentinel with lascannons, and skip out on the heavy weapon squad in the platoon.

What do you guys think and what do you have planned for next league?

System Commander
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

New League - New Army Empty Re: New League - New Army

Post  Guardian Angel Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:06 pm

Personally, I am torn between Space Marines and Orks, but I am leaning heavily towards Orks.

My Ork army would consist of:
-- A couple big squads of shoota boys, a squad or 2 of "Trukk Boys" for Troops.
-- A Squad or 2 of Lootas
-- A couple 3 Strong Squads of Kans with Rokkits
-- Whos knows what else, but perhaps a Squad of Bikes, a Dread or 2, and maybe some Tankbustas.
-- I have no ideas about HQ yet. I have Warboss with Klaw, Warboss on Bike with Klaw, 1 Big Mek with Shokk, Big Mek with Force Field and Burna.

Its main weakness is Hvy Vehicle (AV 14) killing. The Lootas and Kans can kill most of the lighter stuff but Raiders and Russ's would be annoying.

My Space marines would be pretty basic. Tactic Squads in Razorbacks & the Hvy Weapon sitting out, Scouts with Snipers, and Drop podding Dreads. Nothing fancy....unless you call the Shooty Elite Marines fancy.

I will probably go with the Orks.....seeing as how guard (my last army) was rather shooty.....
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Paz Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:31 pm

hah I will be playing my guard with evil grey knight attache's. I'll be like an evil alternate reality twin to Robyn's army, well, except we both have facial hair.... hmmm
Paz
Paz
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  HiveMindRuik Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:08 pm

NIDS NIDS NIDS!!!!
HiveMindRuik
HiveMindRuik
Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:20 pm

Imperial Guard - and none of that mech =I=censor=I=. Mens and tanks arty and that's all.

Now, since I've never played before, it's probably a =I=censor=I= list and I'll get beat down every game, but I'm cool with that.

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:06 pm

I'll be sticking with the new Imperial Guard. I'll be playing that mech =I=censor=I=, apparently.
gluvzer
gluvzer
Lord of Titan/Hero of ToonCon/Ayatollah of Rock n' Rolla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:08 pm

Pfft. Effectiveness. Who needs that?

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:13 pm

Yah, I guess. Because no other guard list could be effective or competitive. Maybe we could see some stats on it?

@Robyn
If you do decide to do guard Robyn, I'd reconsider the heavy weapons squad. I honestly don't think they'll be as effective as you want. The idea of giving them the "bring it down" order is cool but being only toughness three and having three models in the squad is a recipe for disaster. I for one would fire anything I had at them str 6 or higher even if they were in cover. A multilaser has a good chance of killing at least on team instantly, then you have a moral check for sure, or easily wiped out.
Haven't used them myself, but those are my initial impressions of them.
gluvzer
gluvzer

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:50 pm

Yeah, definitely a good point. I know if Im up against a guard army, thats definitely one of the first things I always go for.

If I took some guard portions with the Grey Knights, Id hbe doing it primarily to grab some anti tank power.. 210 for 3 armoured sentinels with lascannons would be ok. Id probably have to magnet them though, once back into a normal guard list Id have to vanilla them back to awesome multilaser.

Just looking at the heavy weapons team.. 105 points for three lascannons... or 210 for the three armoured sentinels with lascannons.. tough choice.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  littlehurc Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:00 pm

Go with the Daemons Robin there are enough imp. wuss players out there right now....Smile Twisted Evil
littlehurc
littlehurc
Crusader

http://www.metaldesignz.com

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:03 pm

The armoured sentinals are also good at other things. Remember the last time we played?
gluvzer
gluvzer

Back to top Go down

Post  HiveMindRuik Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:04 pm

oh yes when is the next legue starting?
HiveMindRuik
HiveMindRuik
Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Anderson Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:57 am

I'll still be the only real man man enough to use girls. :p
Mr Anderson
Mr Anderson
Mystic

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:05 am

I'll be sticking with Guards, only my second league so wanna see how they do again. I've been adding more tanks to my collection and wanna check'em out, too.

Randy - There was a post about the next league in the thunderdome.

RE: Heavy Weapon Teams - I've been playing with 3-5 heavy weapon teams/game for a while now and I'm not dissapointed by them. Sure they're a target, but they usually make more than their points worth in kills, and often survive longer than you'd think due to range, cover, and other targets. Though they do dissappear when things get close. Also since they're comparatively cheap for their firepower, loosing one isn't that big of a blow.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dana Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:08 am

I think I may play ultramarines for the 9th straight league. I might try to get more than 3 games in this league ohhh. I should have a new unit or two for the army though. and once the new wolf dex comes out I think I may actually start working on a new army.
Dana
Dana
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:45 am

Ryan - I wont be forgetting that lesson anytime soon.

Ive used heavy weapon teams throughout the last three books.. but always with lascannons and in one squad. Like Ryan said, they always die.. but if Im lucky and get first turn, they might live or even get some twin linked guns. Ill probably try both out.

I still havent decided if I want to play Daemons, or Daemonhunters. Im having some severe Daemon indecision. Daemonhunters would be really good in recon games.. Daemons are horrible in recon.. horrible!

Oh well, I still have a few weeks to decide.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Paz Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:15 am

Robyn= daemons aren't that bad in recon, they are lucky in that all the unnamed Heralds are two wounds, and have 3+and above saves. I actually find mono-god lists are pretty sweet. I'm thinking of going for a Khorne-nurgle duo list as my secondary, especially if we have a purely guard league this time Razz
Paz
Paz
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  smackman Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:23 am

No worries Paz, I promise to beat you down without guardsmen, It's either CSM or Orks for me... the decision would be easy since I plan to play as many apoc control games as I possibly can this league, however with my recent ork buying frenzy I find I'm pretty even with 7000+pts of chaos and 6500+pts of orcs tough call really.
smackman
smackman
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew G Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:53 pm

Well, I too have been giving a lot of thought on the next league myself, and was originally torn between my Tau and my Marines... Though... I no longer have my marines (Ebayed) so my decision is clear as to what I am going with, lol

So... Am I the only tau player partaking? hehe
Matthew G
Matthew G
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Terran Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:54 pm

I hope to be involved with the league this time around, so long as there is a tad bit of flexibility (damn shift work). I will be bringing my Eldar. It may be nice to pit them against something other than CSM.
Terran
Terran
Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post  Administratum Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:24 pm

Well, i dont know if ill actually be able to play in this upcoming league or not. I plan on starting a new army, but the chances that i will have enough stuff to be able to play are not good. I am waffling between marines and guard. I want to do a mech list either way.

In favor of the marines, not many people seem to be playing them, and i know that i would enjoy them, because i really liked my chaos for a long time. The toughness and flexability is really nice as well, and their tanks are pretty cool. On the downside, i have already played a power armor army, and im afraid that marines would be the same, only more bland without all the options of chaos. This is a big factor that makes me want to steer clear of marines.

On the guard side, the big one would be that i have never played a guard army, or any army even close to them (my only other experience being a little with eldar). I am also excited about the prospect of making the army traitor guard, which would allow me to do allot of converting, which i generally enjoy. They also have bar none the coolest tanks out there. I think the enclosed medusa siege mortar is perhaps my favorite tank model in the game! The also seem to be a very effective mech list, and the idea the big guns dropping pie plates everywhere makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. On the downside, the guard seem to be the flavor of the month, although anyone who knows me will remember that i have been talking about a tank list since the rules for armored company came out a few years back. The other downside is the cost. If i go with a traitor guard list, its going to be expensive, as i would like to go with the forge world models. That would be all my troops, as well as the medusa's, and perhaps some other stuff.

So sorry to bore you all with my long winded contemplations. If you have any thoughts id always listen to input. If people would actually read them i might post up some lists to see what people think about effectiveness.

Administratum
Inquisitor Lord

https://huntersofthewarp.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:48 pm

I always enjoying playing guard. I cant use them properly myself, but I have alot of with them.

The new tanks in the guard book are crazy. Its nice a big chunk of them use either Leman chassis or chimera chassis.. so you can easily swap stuff around.

If I was motivated, I'd build a medusa just for the fun, but I dont want to pony up the cash for the FW one. 4 missiles, easy enough.

Medusa is deifnitely cool, I like the colossus as well.. no cover saves, ap 3!
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:57 pm

System Commander wrote:If I was motivated, I'd build a medusa just for the fun, but I dont want to pony up the cash for the FW one. 4 missiles, easy enough.

Medusa or Manticore?

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:57 am

oops, sorry.. I meant Manticore.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content