Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

help with where to go with my army?

+7
Lord_Commander_Stash
System Commander
dusktiger
gluvzer
Roland
Rhaevyn
hoplite76
11 posters

Go down

help with where to go with my army? Empty help with where to go with my army?

Post  hoplite76 Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:11 pm

currently running about 4,000 points, one captain, one librarian in terminator armor, one command squad. three tactical squads(10), three scout squads (5), three jump assault squads (5), one vanguard squad (5), one old school metal Terminator squad (5), 2 devistator squads(5), 2 rhinos, one razorback, one land raider crusader, one stormtalon( and a big thank you Dusktiger for posting the rules) so what do I need?
hoplite76
hoplite76
Familiar

Back to top Go down

help with where to go with my army? Empty Re: help with where to go with my army?

Post  Rhaevyn Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:28 pm

Allies. Vendetta. two lemun russ squadron. Primaris psyker. Some dudesmen.
Rhaevyn
Rhaevyn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

help with where to go with my army? Empty Re: help with where to go with my army?

Post  Roland Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:55 pm

I'm not suggesting going toward one list or the other. Seems like plenty of bodies to me. Some suggestions:
1) armour. Dreads are fun, preds are probably better than they were last ed. I'm also a fan of speeders and attack bikes. Assault termites are also fun.

2)allies: fun and easy way to expand or start a new army.

3) special characters.
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:49 pm

Predators or vindicators!
gluvzer
gluvzer
Lord of Titan/Hero of ToonCon/Ayatollah of Rock n' Rolla

Back to top Go down

Post  dusktiger Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:51 pm

hoplite76 wrote:currently running about 4,000 points, one captain, one librarian in terminator armor, one command squad. three tactical squads(10), three scout squads (5), three jump assault squads (5), one vanguard squad (5), one old school metal Terminator squad (5), 2 devistator squads(5), 2 rhinos, one razorback, one land raider crusader, one stormtalon( and a big thank you Dusktiger for posting the rules) so what do I need?

hey, np man, and welcome to the forums.

looks like you got the man power, but need some armor to back it up. what's your playing preference? do you like to bunker down and let them come to you, or do you like to get in their face? we could shoot off alot of ideas for which way to go, but if we dont know your playstyle, alot of it's useless garbage that wont be fun for you to play. what your local gaming community; ie who/what you play most often will help with suggestions.
dusktiger
dusktiger
Lord of Titan

http://dusktigers-den.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:04 pm

Good call Ryan I forgot those.
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:48 am

I've been using Vindicators a lot lately. They're are really good now.

Btw this thread isn't really a Rumour or a Sneak Peak. It's defo in the wrong spot.
gluvzer
gluvzer

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:50 am

Ill move it over
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Lord_Commander_Stash Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:05 pm

With that many points in one army I recommend getting allies in an army you want to play then build on that army over time.
Lord_Commander_Stash
Lord_Commander_Stash
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  hoplite76 Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:11 am

thanks guys, as for my play style I prefer assault, close combat, with lots of bikes, I have had a space wolves, a blood angels, and black templars, also Imperial guard, unfortunatly sold the guard just before 6th, would have been nice, could have used them as allies. also ran eldar aspect warriors army, but all gone now. I have a squad of grey knights with a storm raven, and now have a rhino for each tactical. the local groups run heavy in to the green tide and 'nids. so I think I am going to invest in some assault terminators and a dread, I have tried to do my ussual style but it just gets me killed quick, so going to try the brace for them overwhelming fire style of play.but thanks again for all the great advice.
hoplite76
hoplite76
Familiar

Back to top Go down

Post  dusktiger Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:37 am

vindicators would also be a good purchase for your armies then as well if you fight alot of hordes. even if they hide in cover, they determine cover from the centre of the blast, not from your model's LoS, so most of your shots will be taking out lots of models.
dusktiger
dusktiger
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Aegwymourn Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:16 pm

dusktiger wrote:vindicators would also be a good purchase for your armies then as well if you fight alot of hordes. even if they hide in cover, they determine cover from the centre of the blast, not from your model's LoS, so most of your shots will be taking out lots of models.

only with Barrage weapons. regular blast weapons still follow standard model removal (closest to furthest).
Aegwymourn
Aegwymourn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  dusktiger Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:05 pm

Aren't ordnance weapons barrage? I thought that's why ppl were saying vindis are great again cause it determins cover from its centre.
dusktiger
dusktiger
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Aegwymourn Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:25 pm

i dont think so? i believe it specifically has to say "Barrage". I believe the upside to vindi's is that any part of the template is full str vs vehicles now.
Aegwymourn
Aegwymourn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:59 pm

Vindicators are great because they're str 10 ap 2, and are full strength no matter where the template hits.. but wounds are still taken closest model to the tank first.

Ordnance barrage (Basilisk, Whirlwind, etc.) are the snipers. Their wounds are taken starting from the model closest (or under) the pin first, and then going out. Drop the basilisk on the Lascannon first and get a hit.. bam.. its truly bizarre.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  dusktiger Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:42 pm

huh...well, guess whirlwinds will become popular again then eh?
dusktiger
dusktiger
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  judchic Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:21 am

a good choice is a thunderfire cannon. 4 shots with 3 modes of fire let them be a pain to horde armies and marines alike. plus new artillery rules have it at T7 and techmarine boosting cover to a 3+ make its annoying to get rid of.
and somehow i missed for 3 years the thing shoots 60"...
judchic
judchic
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Aegwymourn Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:25 am

I find the thunderfire cannon to be amazing in 1000-1500 point games. very few selections have as many good rules and punishing rate of fire built in. after 1500 i find them to be more meh, since the points open up more options (vindicators/allies).
Aegwymourn
Aegwymourn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  hoplite76 Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:13 pm

okay well got some new models. bought a Baal predator and a regular predator going to magnetize the regular so I can use all the options, got the Baal used but in excellent shapedid some converting of all the symbols cut out the blood drops and substituted hammers also used some old dwarven or empire winged hammers on some of the other vehicles. Also named my army Cerulean Angels. Played my first non "horde of death" match. went on a seek and destroy 1450 pts. luck of the draw went to a deathwing army as my opponents, wish I had known, went with two tacticals a librarian, a scout squad, and vanguard, all mounted in rhinos except the librarian and the scouts, the vanguard were in a razorback w/ h.bolters., my opponents forces were one terminator lord, at an aegis with quad autocannon turret, two destructor predators with lascannon sponsons, a dread rifleman, and two 10 man squad of terminators. my ten man scouts all had sniper rifles and started in cover, with the librarians dome power. in the first round my scouts wiped the first terminator squad down to three, the return fire got my razorback and a rhino. the secound round I finished off his terminator squad, and took out the first predator, lost the other rhino, and one tactical, the vanguard suffered 3 casualties, third round, scouts try to take out the other terminator squad, but only get three, the librarian goes toe to toe with the captain and is a smear on the pavment, but the brave vanguard takes the terminator cap down, got to love thunder hammers, the predator and dread move in than obliterate my secound tactical, fourth round my opponent allows my snipers to make a called shot on anything in the battle field, I shoot the fuel storage tank in the middle of the board, end of game mission accomplished enimy force found and wiped out, of course so was my entire army. pyric but fun.
hoplite76
hoplite76
Familiar

Back to top Go down

help with where to go with my army? Empty I'm baaaaack

Post  hoplite76 Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:16 pm

Ok ladies and gents I have added since last I was on, I have now added a 7 man close combat termie squad, and a termie captain, also have gotten a nice little grey knight allied force, working a trade for a greyknight termie squad, so should complete my little force. of course I am ussing my rhinos as double duty for both forces. and I have started teaching my youngest sone how to play he had his first game on last thursday, a squad on squad, his dark angels were slain to a man but he defeated his opponent, so it was a draw goingdown to the sargents. as a bonus I have been wondering about the new death wing terminator command squad, an underslung plasma cannon
do they realize they have opened the door for a terminator heavy weapon team, with the old school preherasey under slung autocannons, cyclones missles launchers, assault cannons, and a under slung multimelta also in the works. well that is my oppinion. Just think of the carnage it will unleash.
hoplite76
hoplite76
Familiar

Back to top Go down

Post  judchic Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:42 pm

would be nice to see some terminators that weren't all th/ss with a cyclone/assault cannon. heck even heavy bolters would be a neat cheap option.
judchic
judchic
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Dom.0 Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:54 pm

Rhaevyn wrote:Allies. Vendetta. two lemun russ squadron. Primaris psyker. Some dudesmen.

go with this! also take some penial legions and tell me how they work out.
Dom.0
Dom.0
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  dusktiger Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:04 pm

out of curiosity, is that avatar your color scheme? i think my eyes would bleed for mercy if i tried to paint over 4000 points in a quartered scheme. especially gold and blue. only so long i can stand painting blue before it bothers me. i like the way it looks when done right, but cant stand painting it for too long.
dusktiger
dusktiger
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:26 am

Quarters are fun :-)
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down