Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hair and Beard paint recipes...

2 posters

Go down

Hair and Beard paint recipes... Empty Hair and Beard paint recipes...

Post  ScottRadom Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:46 pm

I got this as an answer to a question at CMON, thought it was very useful....

http://web.mac.com/matthewbraid/Concept_becomes_Creation/Hair_Swatches3.html
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Hair and Beard paint recipes... Empty Re: Hair and Beard paint recipes...

Post  Administratum Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:14 pm

wow that is an impressive piece of literature. Someone sure put allot of time into it. Thanks for posting it up Scott, quality articles like this are always a welcome addition to the HotW knowledge pool. If i get some time, i want to go through and put together a post with all of the modeling and painting information and techniques that have been posted... thats a big "if" though.

Administratum
Inquisitor Lord

https://huntersofthewarp.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:31 pm

LexMechanic wrote:wow that is an impressive piece of literature. Someone sure put allot of time into it. Thanks for posting it up Scott, quality articles like this are always a welcome addition to the HotW knowledge pool. If i get some time, i want to go through and put together a post with all of the modeling and painting information and techniques that have been posted... thats a big "if" though.

Shouldn't you be painting for your army challenge?

Shame sir, shame!

Yeah it is a really cool, well thought out article. I want to cruise the rest of that guys site some time, but now I'm busy throwing down some eArguments on the economy, capital punishment, and if drybrushing is still a viable technique for quality paintjobs.
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Administratum Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:50 pm

Judging by your responses and the articles you have been posting up it seems that you are really trying to take your painting to the next level. It is providing motivation for me to try and up the ante as well. This ork army will not be a painting masterpiece, the trucks are a little too simple, but im going to put in a solid effort on the boyz.

As far as drybrushing, i believe that you can still do some nice work with it, but yea, its not getting the respect it used to. Hair and fur are where drybrushing comes into its own, but according to the article you posted, its just not on the level anymore.

Administratum
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:32 pm

My response on drybrushing was in response to some painters who claim they never, never drybrush anything anymore.

I called BullCakka! How do you paint sand based models without doing it, and I still feel it is the best way to paint stuff quickly.

The drybrushing thread came from a less experienced painter asking for advice on getting better. He posted a model with a pretty crappy paint job and outlined how he had arrived at that end result. A good way to get better I think. A dude who is super awesome at painting swept in and hammered the point about how drybrushing is evil, and kids need to learn how to paint right and GW is stupid for reccomending drybrushing etc. I defended the kid (Yeah Scott!) and drybrushing as a means to get figs onto a gaming table. I also pinted out that you can work on improving certain skills while still drybrushing, and then one day overcome drybrushing and go this guys elaborate full on process.

His points....
-Can not do NMM with a drybrush technique
-Chalkiness ruins the potential of models and drybrush causes this
-There are always better techniques that will get better results from judges.

My points...
-NMM sucks.
-Drybrushing is the root place for all mini painters to learn highlighting and shading theories
-Not all models need to go get a golden demon.

The dude seems a decent guy, but picking on newbs is a little out of form for those boards.

I still drybrush my bases, chainmail, the first layers of hair, and a few other things. It is just too quick and easy.
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Administratum Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:34 pm

I have not drybrushed hair in quite some time, but i would like to see someone paint a chaos hound and not use it. Regardless, drybrushing is not the devil, but if you are working towards being a master painter (whatever that means) then it is a technique you should try to leave behind. Its like saying that you should never use a horse and cart, because the automobile is far superior. Just wait until gas hits $10 a liter... no one will be laughing at my clydesdale then.

Administratum
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:06 am

Until you can supe up your clydesdale with dope after market fins, whale tails and some awesome decals like "Tapout" I will still make fun of your clydesdale.

But if you do supe up your clydesdale I will of course demand that I get a ride every once in a while so we can go pick up some hottie's. Lots of room on a clydesdale!
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum