Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Simple Green

4 posters

Go down

Simple Green Empty Simple Green

Post  Planes Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:50 am

I have heard that some around here like to use Simple Green for stripping paint off of old minis. I was just wondering how much I should water it down to get effect while maintaining economy of fluid. Also, would I be able to salvage said mix for bathing other minis in the future by, say, straining it through a coffee filter?
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Simple Green Empty Re: Simple Green

Post  da bear Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:35 am

There is no real formula for it my roommate and I have been using it straight now for the past 6 months and its still going strong on metal or plastic
da bear
da bear
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  dusktiger Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:36 pm

You don't dilute it. Use it straight and use a resealable Tupperware container to hold the stuff you use. You can strain it with coffee filters once it gets too yucky looking. If you use it straight, your looking at an average of 1-3 days to strip a badly thickly painted model. A well painted model tends to strip in 8 hours.

Maybe I should make a tutorial for this stuff since I'm usually answering questions about simple green? Later this weekend I will.
dusktiger
dusktiger
Lord of Titan

http://dusktigers-den.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:09 pm

Heh, the funny thing is that I was doing this to research for such a tutorial. I've been thinking about making some modeling videos to build a touch of a portfolio for that job opening at Mini War Gaming.
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhaevyn Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:10 pm

I find plastics to be a much bigger pain in the ass. paint seems to stick i the corners more. Pewter it just comes off in one big piece.
Rhaevyn
Rhaevyn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:44 pm

For the purposes of making the video, I tried the process with both a jar of Simple Green and a jar of paint thinner.

It seems that paint thinner, given enough time, will begin to chemically melt plastic, while not doing all that much to the paint. Potentially useful for some more adventurous modeling, but not so much for one simply looking to repaint a mini. Good thing the only bits that seemed to have suffered heavy damage from this were Gauss Cannons from some decommissioned Destroyers.
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down