Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

bye bye Army Builder.... was nice knowing you....

+5
dusktiger
ScottRadom
Dom.0
Rhaevyn
Roland
9 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

bye bye Army Builder.... was nice knowing you.... - Page 3 Empty Re: bye bye Army Builder.... was nice knowing you....

Post  Lord_Commander_Stash Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:59 pm

Rhaevyn wrote:You just bring your own personal illumination with you wherever you go, eh James?

For your extremely outdated information, James. AB has been extremely consistent for as long as i have been using it. its such a standard that most tournament organizers will put a persons list into it just to check if they are legal.

AB is a tool. just like your soggy napkin and crayon is a tool. just because someone uses a tool incorrectly doesn't invalidate the tool. I guarantee you that more people have used more legal lists using army builder or similar software than if those same people show up with some chicken scratch on the backside of a speeding ticket. I've played dozens of games since i came back and i know for certain that the ones using AB are not the lists you have to look out for.

the other point here is that GW should have this tool on the market today. or 10 years ago. its 2012. I would be the first person to sign up and pay for it, even if it was full of errors and problems... this is GW we are talking about.

Writing your crap down on paper with a pencil doesn't make you old school or hard core, or even less inclined to cheat, it just means you have more time to do useless shit than I do.

GW came out with an army builder program (Forces/enemies of the Imperium?). I have the one for forces of Chaos. It never caught on and was way off what the codex said despite numerous patches anyway....similar to how army builder was.

Well I really hope that stupidity has gone out of date. Ive seen so many people d/l army builder and never read their codex. Anyway I have had an Excel spreadsheet for many years and I found it even easier to use than army builder.

Anyway I gave up on army builder cause it was saying the legal list I was trying to make was illegal.
Lord_Commander_Stash
Lord_Commander_Stash
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

bye bye Army Builder.... was nice knowing you.... - Page 3 Empty Re: bye bye Army Builder.... was nice knowing you....

Post  Roland Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:59 pm

People who use army builder and not the codex are like drunks using a streetlight:

They use it for support, not illumiantion.

i've been using AB since slightly before 5th came out... i had SMALL issue at first and its just gotten tighter and tighter.

That said... since GW has brought the banhammer down and the current version of the 40k can literally go away any minute, if you aren't going to use it for Warmachine/Warpath or some other game, there isn't much point in getting it.

I used it to double check tourney list b/c it was fast and easy, and (for the most part) I knew where problem where. The only issue I ever had was when I had a tourney right after the codex dropped (Necrons anyone?).
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  dusktiger Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:29 pm

i've been keeping mine updated and i noticed in the latest update to v1.05 for 6th, they have a huge disclaimer that states a bunch of stuff, and now you "can't" play with just army builder anymore. it has the options, the units, the points, the stat lines, but now every single rule or ability, etc, has a page and codex reference.

AB has been neutered into little more than a convenient spreadsheet program with pre-made options for you to select. now your lists will have about as much information in them as what GW puts at the bottom of each model's description when you look at their products. the only extra detail is that it'll tell you what page describes kantor's special abilities.
dusktiger
dusktiger
Lord of Titan

http://dusktigers-den.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhaevyn Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:07 am

dusktiger wrote:

AB has been neutered into little more than a convenient spreadsheet program with pre-made options for you to select. now your lists will have about as much information in them as what GW puts at the bottom of each model's description when you look at their products. the only extra detail is that it'll tell you what page describes kantor's special abilities.

Which is exactly how it should be. The file maintainers can worry about making sure that the options and costs are correct, and leave the rules descriptions to GW.

One can always add notes to units after the fact. I generally make unit templates that i'll mix and match between lists. so i'll put notes on the saved unit profile. Things like "remember to face Dreadnaughts AWAY from your other units" or "big scarey tank, make sure its visable and in the open and ostentatiously plopped down first so opponent focuses on it and not your oblits..."
Rhaevyn
Rhaevyn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3