Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Characters join squads

5 posters

Go down

Characters join squads Empty Characters join squads

Post  Matthew G Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:43 pm

Another Noobie question for the masses...

Question:
My Independent character riding a Bike, moves within 2" of my death company and "joins" the squad. Is this possible, as the DC cannot get bikes as upgrade options. It **doesn't** say in the rules that characters can't join units not sporting the same equipment...

Just wondering if this is possible... My chappy on bike cruises up to the Jump packing Death company in the move phase and joins the unit, then the unit assaults in the assault phase. Only thing is, my chappy couldn't use his bikes boosters (as using the booster prevents an assault). is my logic and understanding right here?
Matthew G
Matthew G
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Characters join squads Empty Re: Characters join squads

Post  Paz Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:33 pm

As far as i know, ICs can only join units using the same equipment. Jump pack commander can only join unit with jps, bike only with bike unit, because unit has to move the same as the IC.
Paz
Paz
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:32 am

I'll have to look after work, don't have the info handy right now but you should definitely read through the independent character section and the rules for joining squads. Logically, Paz's answer should be correct, but it's not a rule I've ever seen come up for debate before.

I did just scan the 5th edition PDF and it didn't say anything about different unit types, it only said that the unit moves at the speed of the slowest member. So, in 5th you can but just double check the independent character section of the 4th book and if it doesn't say anything, your clear.

System Commander
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew G Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:43 pm

See i wanted to get peoples opinions here on this one as it does not really state that fact.

It does say
"Characters are allowed to move freely around the battlefield and can temporarily join other units. While a character is part of a unit, he must obey the usual coherency rules until he leaves the unit, as detailed below. The combined unit moves and assaults at the speed of the slowest model while they stay together. In order to join a unit, an independent character simply has to move within the 2" coherency distance of the unit in the movement phase and be declared as joining it."

Thats the closest thing I can find to this, which is why I am wondering if a biker character can "join" a jump pack unit as both units move and assault the same (unless the bike uses the turbo boosters - then the character would have to break coherency distance, and would no longer be a part of the unit).

I am thinking of calling the Rulez Boyz at GW on this, unless we collectively can rule a decision.
Matthew G
Matthew G
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Veyure Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:59 pm

Based on what you quoted from the rules i would tend to think that it can join the unit.
Veyure
Veyure
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:11 pm

Yuppers, should be no problem joing then. Looks like this will stay the same in 5th edition, as the rule reads almost exactly the same.

I have to say, I like that move though. You can have the chaplain and death company a max of 26" away from each other at the start of the round. Move them towards each other 12", chaplain joins the unit and then you can assault. That's a unit that will scare any unit in an assault.

Independent characters joining units in 5th edition will be much more important and happening more often, because if they don't they can now be shot at just like any other unit. Better keep them hidden!

System Commander
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Lord_Commander_Stash Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:07 am

Any independent character can join any unit, unless stated other wise in the rules for the character or unit. The down side is that the whole unit must move at the slowest pace which means a biker character can't move more than 6" while with infantry, and a cavalry character with a unit of jump infantry can only assault 6" and CAN't fleet (unless the unit can). Also the jump infantry can only move 6".
If the character is a monsterous creature, he can still be singled out and shot at as if he weren;t joined to the unit.

The rules say what happens to speacial rules such as fearless or stubborn etc if the character or the unit dont share the same rules, but I would have to look it up.
Lord_Commander_Stash
Lord_Commander_Stash
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down