Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Badab War Campaign: Fall 2011

+3
Selik
Roland
dusktiger
7 posters

Go down

Badab War Campaign: Fall 2011 Empty Badab War Campaign: Fall 2011

Post  dusktiger Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:22 pm

So after seeing alot of one-sidedness, having to fix/reword the wording of many special rules, and working out how the campaign plays out, we've decided we want to restart the campaign, and as thus, we are putting out a call to arms for all players who own a Space Marine, Chaos Marine, or Imperial Guard army who's interested in playing and knows both their codex and their basic 40k rules well enough to play in the campaign.

If you're interested in playing, and you have an army that uses one of the following codex's, please reply here that you're interested and what army(s) you can field, and what your highest point limit is that your army can go, so we know if point limits have to be dropped for everyone to play. (for example, one point of the campaign suggests apocalypse games for the 5000+ mark per player, but if the highest most can go is only 3000+, we'll change it to that.)
  • Codex: Space Marines
  • Codex: Blood Angels
  • Codex: Space Wolves
  • Codex: Dark Angels
  • Codex: Black Templar
  • Codex: Grey Knights
  • Codex: Imperial Guard
  • Codex: Chaos Space Marines

So if you're interested, please post your name, the codex you can field, and the highest point limit you can comfortably play with that codex. for example, i would reply with this:

Dusktiger, Codex: Space Marines, 8000+Points. Codex: Blood Angels, 3000+Points. Codex: Grey Knights, 1300+Points.

The Campaign is divided into 4 sections, each will be about a month long each.

each month rewards a different point value for the type of games played that month, and when the month ends, we add the totals up and see which faction earns a special rule for their army for the campaign from that point forward.

after those 4 sections are done, there will be a large Apocalypse mission played either by all players on a single board, or by "champions" on a single board, representing their faction. which way it happens will depend on how many join. if there's 20 of us, obviously 20 people cant all play on one table. but if that's the case, we might have 2 or 3 tables run simultaneously, like a Games Day apocalypse event that GW would host.

So! that all said, here's a run down of the kinds of themed games we'll be playing:
Blood In The Void(aka Boarding Action). this is like space hulk in the sense your fighting in corridors in a 4'x4' table. it also has alot of intense melee combat and many neat rules that can change how the turn goes for the players(you could be winning and suddenly a chain of explosions rip through the table and half your guys get wiped out. it really throws you off and makes the games unpredictable!)

Cities of Death. I'm sure many of you veterans remember this expansion.

Planetstrike.

Apocalypse.

Battlemissions.

standard 40k missions.

and a selection of special themed scenarios that represent focal turning points in the Badab Civil War.

I'll be posting alot of campaign rules and some things you guys will have to be aware of throughout the campaign over the next couple days as well, so keep a lookout for those too. amongst them is an interesting D6 chart you roll on named HQ characters after a game if that model died in that match to see if it affects him in your next match. you guys wont be bored through these games, and some of the matches will really push you strategically to build new lists you havent tried before, and to rethink how you play the guys you do use.

Last edited by dusktiger on Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total
dusktiger
dusktiger
Lord of Titan

http://dusktigers-den.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Badab War Campaign: Fall 2011 Empty Re: Badab War Campaign: Fall 2011

Post  dusktiger Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:54 pm

here's the intro page to the campaign to give you guys a feel for what's in store:

The Badab War campaign is fought in a 'faction' format between 2 sides, or teams; The Loyalists, and the Secessionists. Each Player should choose one of these sides to be part of for the campaign.

The Badab Campaign is broken up into 5 phases, each corresponding to different broad stages in the epic narrative of the War. The first 4 represent the tides of the war and build up to the climactic 5th phase; the battle for Badab Prime itself.

Each phase is based around playing games. One team plays the side of the Loyalists, the other plays the side of the Secessionists. For each win, loss, or draw, each game will gain the player's side a particular number of Campaign points (CP) appropriate to the kind of game played.

The total number of CP garnered from each side's wins, losses, and draws in each phase is tallied at the end of the phase to determine who has won that phase. Winning a phase will gain your side an advantage in the phases that follow. Winning or losing these phases will also have an effect on the campaign's grand finale; The Palace of Thorns. at the start of each new phase, the CP counter is reset and the comtest for the Badab Sector continues again.

Note: because of this, in practice, the number of players 'per side' in the campaign doesn't actually have to be equal. An odd number just means the players on the smaller side just need to play more often. Also, you can have "Guest" players using any codex they like, pop in and have pick-up games during the campaign, where if the guest loses, the victor's side gain's 1 CP for their side.

Also, due to the fact there will be alot of point-keeping that needs to occur, I shall be acting as the Campaign Bookkeeper, so you will need to inform me of the results of any matches you play, whether my cell, on here, or in a pm, or in person. i will need to know the type of game you played, how high the point limit was, who you played, and who won or tied.
dusktiger
dusktiger
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:24 pm

Roland (Beau):
Space Marines: 15K+,
Grey Knights: 2K,
Blood Angels: 2K,
Chaos Marines:2K
Black Templars: 1500
Space Wolves: 1250
Imperial Guard: 1000
Dark Angels: 500
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Selik Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:37 pm

I have currently have
SM 2400pt
IG 3500pt
chaos SM 2000pt

these points are based on the force org for a reg 40k game, so I have a few more points than that if it would be an apoc game
Selik
Selik
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  da bear Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:17 pm

Space wolves 3000+ and will be growing shortly
da bear
da bear
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:04 pm

ok well i can do the ig my army is cerantly 2273 ponits all together but i will vary much find a w ay to pull it up to 3000 if needed

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Anderson Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:36 am

Aww, no love for the Sisters? Boo.

Chris Anderson:
Codex: Space Marines, at least 3500+ points (I haven't counted in a while)

Mr Anderson
Mr Anderson
Mystic

Back to top Go down

Post  dusktiger Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:41 pm

Roland will be posting a rough timeline schedule for everyone fairly soon, so keep your eyes open for it guys. looks like a group of 10-13 of us in all. a nice group to start with! eager to see who will be siding with the Loyalists!
dusktiger
dusktiger
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Badab War Campaign: Fall 2011 Empty Badab War schedule, rules, etc.

Post  Roland Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:47 pm

Hi everyone, and welcome to the Badab War.

Gaming starts this week, either Tuesday @ my house (sorry for the short notice, PM or email me at suttobs@yahoo.com for directions) or Thursday at the den. If anyone needs any info from IA9 and 10, please let me know.

How to Play:
Simple, pick a chapter and a codex to represent it, then PM your choice to me. We have to switch some people around to roughly even sides out. See the attached chart for which codices represent which chapters.

Chapter Found In Codex Geneseed
Fire Hawks IA9 Space Marines (Ultramarines)
Marines Errant IA9 Space Marines (Ultramarines)
Novamarines IA9 Space Marines (Ultramarines)
Red Scorpions IA9 Space Marines (Unknown)
Fire Angels IA9 Black Templars (Ultramarines)
Howling Griffins IA9 Space Marines (Ultramarines)
Raptors IA9 Space Marines (Raven Guard)
Salamanders IA10 Space Marines (Salamanders)
Minotaurs IA10 Black Templars (Unknown)
Sons of Medusa IA10 Space Marines (Iron Hands)
Exorcists IA10 Grey Knights (Classified)
Carcharodons IA10 Space Wolves (Unknown)
Star Phantoms IA10 Dark Angels (Unknown)

Astral Claws IA9 Dark Angels (Unknown)
Mantis Warriors IA10 Space Marines (White Scars)
Executioners IA10 Space Wolves (Imperial Fists)
Lamenters IA9 Blood Angels (Blood Angels)

Note: Codex Space Marines may be used to represent any chapter.
Codex: Chaos Space Marines may be used to represent any
Secessionist chapter.

Besides the various marine codices, you can take the Tyrant's Legion, Imperial Guard, Sisters of Battle, or a Siege Assault List. Please try to stick to the codex you pick. If you MUST switch, you may do so between Phases. If someone breaks all your models and you have to switch mid-phase, let me or Mike (Dusktiger) know, as well as anyone you have a game scheduled with. Please keep in mind these are meant to be fun, casual games.

Special Characters: For the Marine codices, the ONLY special characters allowed are those from the IA9 and 10 books. Imperial Guard and Sisters may take any special characters from their codices. (Note: We have agreed to waive this rule regarding Belial because, to be blunt, he sucks. We are treating him instead as a Company Master in Terminator Armor, who makes Deathwing squads Troops, just like a bike captain.) Also, the Special Character casualty chart is in effect, so do not use your Special characters recklessly, or it may be the last you see of them that phase.

Forge World rules: It goes without saying, but as this is a FW campaign, any FW units may be used, provided you have the model or have made a reasonable conversion. Writing "Lucius" on a standard Drop Pod is NOT a reasonable conversion. Any FW units that are "experimental" are used with opponent's permission only. In the case of units described in both the Codex and a FW book or FAQ, follow these guidelines. For Black Templars and Dark Angels, FW rules take precedence, for all others, the codex takes precedence.

Now, I'm well aware several of the players have kids, busy lives, etc. etc., so this campaign is being played over the course of a few months to allow for that. So don’t worry; you can and will get a chance to get in several games. We are currently planning on 2 game nights a week: Tuesday s @ Casa Roland, and Thursdays @ Dragon’s Den. My basement can fit 4- 4x4 tables or 2 larger ones, and I’m working on something to fit more. Feel free to play whenever and wherever you can, we’re mainly having game nights to facilitate play and socialize.

The campaign is divided into 5 sections; the first 4 are made up of several matches that will be played out with a timeline of 1 Real-time month. That should give everyone plenty of time to try the unique games in each section, and the bonus rule perks the leading side earns. The 5th section will be a series of standard and Apoc games where the Secessionists will be defending a fortress in the corner of a 6x8 board. How many people participate for that final game will determine the point limit per player.

Each match will earn a pre-set number of Campaign Points (here on referred to as CP) for winning, and in some cases draws will earn CP.
Here's how many CP each type of game earns in each section:

Phase One, Sept 12-Oct 9th
the following missions award the following CP:
Special Missions: The Massacre at Bellerophon's Fall = 4 CP
Last Stand at Khymera-17=4 CP
Victory in a Boarding Action game (1000pt a side or more) = 3 CP
Victory in standard 40K games (1000pt a side or more) = 2 CP
Other Victories = 1 CP
when we total the CP up after 1 Month of games are played, if there's a winner and not a draw in points, the following special rule will be unlocked for the rest of the campaign for the winning side:
Loyalists - +1 to all reserve rolls.
Secessionists - may re-roll deep strike scatter dice.
CP will be reset to 0 after the Phase is completed

Phase Two, Oct 10th-Nov 13th
Special Mission: Betrayal At Grief = 4 CP
Death Mire = 3 CP
standard 40K games (2000pt a side or more) = Victory for Loyalists is 3CP, Victory for Secessionists is 2CP, Draws are 1CP for the Secessionists only.
Other Victories = 1 CP
when we total the CP up after 1 Month of games are played, if there's a winner and not a draw in points, the following special rule will be unlocked for the rest of the campaign for the winning side:
Loyalists - Fast Attack Units count as Scoring Units.
Secessionists - Heavy Support Units count as Scoring Units.

Phase Three, Nov 14th- Dec 11th
Special Mission: The Murder of Sagan = 4 CP
The Red Hour = 2 CP (Secessionists); 3 CP (Loyalists)
Victory in an Apocalypse game (5000pt a side or more) = 3 CP
Victory in a Battle Missions expansion book game (2000pts a side or more) = 2 CP
Other Victories = 1 CP
Loyalists or Secessionists - Each Player on the winning side gains a Single Orbital Bombardment per game in addition to any they may have normally.

Phase Four, Dec 12th- Jan 15th
Special Mission: The Angstrom Incident = 4 CP
The Battle of Kritias Secundus = 3 CP
Victory in a Planet strike game (2000pt a side or more) = 3 CP for secessionists, 2 CP for Loyalists, Draws are 1 CP for Loyalists Only.
Victory in a Boarding Action or Cities of Death game (1000pt a side or more) = 2 CP
Other Victories = 1 CP
Loyalists or Secessionists - Extra Apocalypse Stratagems in the final Phase, Traitors Gate.

Phase Five, Jan 16th-22nd
Phase 5 will be a series of battles worth differing CP’s, preferably fought on the same night.
Traitor’s Gate = 5 CP
The Doom of Hive Dominar = 3 CP
All other battles = 1 CP ea
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:45 pm

Just a couple points of note.

The current league has just ended, and once the play-offs finish up, we'll be starting up again in probably a month or so.

I mentioned it before but not to many people bit, so I'm mentioning it again and am going to hassle people a bit more once things are underway. If you sign up for the campaign, you can still sign up for the league and collect league points if both people are signed up.

The format for the next league isn't sketched out yet.. but I'm going to try and make sure I'm down there for most Thursdays throughout the winter.

System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:59 pm

Good point. As it is, we have roughly 12 players right now. I'm more than open to more, and the 1st phase makes it easy to play Xenos players.

Badab Players:
Dom
MattG
Timbo
Mr. Anderson
Selik
Commander James
Roland
Dusktiger
Spamus
System Commander
Daemonkin
Da Bear

A few people have indicated they might not have time to play every week w/ work/school/whatever. Don't worry to much about it, the campaign is pretty much designed so ppl can pop in and out if need be, especially with the numbers we have now.
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  dusktiger Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:49 pm

just a note for everyone as well, i'll be book keeping the results of every match, so when you play, if i'm not there in person, and neither is roland, please pm me who you played, what type of game it was with point limit included, and who won/lost/draw, so i can mark it down.
dusktiger
dusktiger
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Selik Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:33 pm

What will be the general start time to play on the tuesdays and thursdays?
Selik
Selik
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  dusktiger Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:47 pm

Usually around 6pm as most of the organizers work til 5.
dusktiger
dusktiger
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:54 pm

As stated, six-ish is best, if you want to show up early to help set up tables, etc. it would be appreciated.
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:03 am

For anyone showing up on Thursday, if you have Space Hulk, please bring your tiles (and doors, etc.) with you. 1000 pt lists, the rules for Boarding action lists are in IA9, and posted here (somewhere).

Also, we'll be picking chapters, so try and have an idea of which one you'd like to take.
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Badab War Campaign: Fall 2011 Empty Boarding actions rules/FOC

Post  Roland Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:50 am

I'll be dropping of 2 binders w/ the full rules and all the special missions tonight.

Attacker FOC
HQ 1-2
E 1-4
T 0-5
FA 0-2
HS 0-2

Defender FOC
HQ 1-2
E 0-4
T 1-5
FA 0-1
HS 0-3

No Dedicated Transports.
No vehicles except walkers or artillery, and they cannot have a base larger than 60mm (Defilers are out)
Assault Squad w/o JP count as troops.
No Deep strike unless they teleport or materialize out of the warp.
Bikes, Artillery and Walkers treat difficult terrain as dangerous, and jump infanty than move over 6" must make a dangerous terrain test.

Boarding Action Setup:

Setup a 4x4' table with rooms and corridors, or Vault terrain (think Cities of Death)

decide who will be the attacker and defender by either mutual agreement, or D6 roll; victor chooses.

players divide their forces roughly in half based on the number of units they take. one half is your beginning spearhead, the other half is your reserves.

Decide which Strategems shall be taken before deploying forces and choosing the mission type to be played.

roll a D6 to see who gets to deploy first. the winner gets to pick which quadrant he deploys in, staying 6" away from the center-point of the board.

once deployed, the 2nd player rolls a D6. on a 4+, they may deploy in any of the other 3 quadrants. on a 1-3, they must deploy in the opposite quadrant of the 1st player.

reserves arrive normally, entering play from either of the 2 table edges that make up your deployment quadrant.

either mutually agree, or roll a D6 to determine game type to be played: 1-2, Search & Destroy, 3-4, Capture the Flag, 5-6, Sabotage.

Before any moves are made, each player rolls a D6 and adds the total together; on a 7+, Cold Void is in effect. on 6-, Night Fighting is in effect until a power surge occurs.

Special Rules:

Reserves, Scouts, and Infiltrators play as normal.

Only units that can Teleport or materialize from The Warp may use Deep Strike rules.

Barrage Weapons cannot indirect-fire.

Bikes, Artillery, and Walkers treat all Difficult Terrain as Difficult & Dangerous Terrain.

Units that Turbo Boost must make a Dangerous Terrain test regardless of terrain type they cover

Jump Infantry that move more than 6" in the Move phase must take a Dangerous Terrain Test.

All Troop and Elite units are scoring, and may claim an objective by being within 6" of it. Units may not claim more than 1 objective at a time.

Games are 5 turns long. after turn 5, roll a D6. on a 4+, play turn 6. after turn 6, the game ends.

The board is made of tight corridors and rooms; if a shooting model does not have line of sight from his center of mass to that of his target's center of mass, he does not have line of sight. this includes psychic powers and such, like Lash.

Cold Void:

All shooting attacks of str 4 or higher now Rend, unless the target has Void Hardened Armor, Artificer Armor, Terminator Armor, or an Armor Value.

If fighting a mixed unit that has different armor types, all Rending rolls must be applied to the models that do Not fall under one of the aforementioned Armours first.

Any weapons that had Rending to begin with (i.e., Assault Cannons), now rend on a 5+.

Any Blast Weapons now also cause Pinning.

Strategems:

players may take 2 + another 2 for every 500pts their roster limit is for the game (i.e. 1500pt game = 8 Strategem Points).

Decide which shall be taken before deploying forces and choosing the mission type to be played.

Unless specified in its description, a strategem can only be taken once.

Players must declare what strategems they have taken when indicated in the description on that strategem. in some cases this is at the start of your first turn, others when you activate it.

If taking Void Hardened Armour, declare so, and on what units, before the first turn moves are made.

Game Types:

Search & Destroy: Kill points are used to determine the winner; you earn 1 KP for each unit, Independent Character, and Walker you destroy fully.

Capture the Flag: the defender gets 3 objectives to place; one in his deployment zone, and 1 in each of the 2 unoccupied zones. they must be at least 6" from the Table Edge, 6" from the center of the board, and not placed on impassable terrain (i.e. in the "walls" of a corridor or room). if the attacker holds more objectives than the defender at the end, they win. If any other result occurs, the defender wins.

Sabotage: The Defender places 2+D3 markers on the table, at least 6" from the table edge, and 12" from one another. The Attacker must destroy these in order to win. They are AV11 and auto-destroy on any glancing/penetrating hit rolled. These count as having a 4+ Invul save against shooting attacks. They cannot be affected by events on the Ship Damage Table that's rolled for at the top of every turn. The attacker wins if they destroy the majority (i.e. 2 of 3, 3 of 4, or 3 of 5). If tied, (i.e. 2 of 2), then fall back on Kill points to determine winner.(see search and destroy to see how many points each item is worth)

At the beginning of each game turn, each player rolls a D6, and the total is added together, causing one of the following results:
2-4 - Hull Quake
5-7 - Power Surge
8 - Nothing Happens
9-11 - Wildfire!
12 - Structural Collapse

Hull Quake: for this turn, all clear terrain is now Difficult Terrain. all Difficult Terrain is both Difficult & Dangerous Terrain.
Power Surge: Night Fighting is now in effect. if it already was, it is now gone. Also, if the defender placed any Bulkhead & Airlock Doors, roll a D6 for each door. on a 5+, the door will open or shut on its own.
Wildfire!: A series of explosions occur across the table. Divide the board as shown. Roll 1+D6 to see how many explosions occur in total. For each explosion, roll a D6 to find the starting point (see diagram for locations). then roll 3D6 scatter dice to see where each occurs, measuring from the centre of each section. Place a 5" Blast where each lands. Any unit or model caught in the blast suffers a Str 5 AP 5 Pinning attack.

Structural Collapse:
Roll a D6 and refer to the diagram to see what quarter of the map is affected. if a 5 or 6 is rolled, the entire board is affected.
All models that have a Toughness value suffer an instant Str 4 Rending hit.
All models with an Armor Value suffer a glancing hit on a 4+, Including special terrain strategems.
Cold Void is now in effect if it wasn't already.
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  smackman Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:26 pm

Man someone should high five the guy that suggested using space hulk tiles for boarding action, I don't want to say it was me because I'm not entirely sure it was me. However this post certainly implies that it was me, so good job me.
smackman
smackman
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:03 pm

So far:

Selik (Novamarines)
Roland (Marines Errant)
Ben (Star Phantoms)
Dusktiger (Red Scorpions)

Da Bear (Executioners)
Daemonkin (Astral Claws?)
Dom (Badab PDF)

Sys. Comm: Exorcists (Grey Knights) or the World's Angiest Lamenters (Khorne CSM)?

Anyone else that's joining in can PM myself or Dusktiger with your chapter.

We're having another Badab night Thursday, the 22nd @ the Den. Same as this week, playoffs get priority.
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:14 pm

Was anyone down there to play their playoff games this week?
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  da bear Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:27 pm

i didnt see anyone playing league unless they started after i left
da bear
da bear
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:28 pm

I put up a post last week but havn't back from Scott yet.

EDIT: If the Badab War campaign is re-starting I'd be interested, however Im not sure how many weeks I'll actually play as School has started back up. I can feild 6000 Chaos but probably only 3-4000ish without any daemons/daemonic stuff.

Back to top Go down

Post  Selik Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:57 am

not sure if anyone is avail to play on fridays during the day. I find that during the days on friday are best for me to playing during the week.
Selik
Selik
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down