Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

6th edition

+2
Roland
System Commander
6 posters

Go down

6th edition Empty 6th edition

Post  System Commander Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:46 am

Probably no real surprise, but the rumour from Blood of Kittens is that 6th edition wil be coming for sept.'ish of 2012. Also related to that rumour, they're going to mix up the Intro box to have different races then Marines and Nids.. pretty much exactly what they did wiith the Fantasy..

My guess would be Chaos and.. by that time, maybe Tau? Some other people are thinking SIsters and Necrons.. anyway, whatever it is, sounds nice they'll mix up the box a bit.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

6th edition Empty Re: 6th edition

Post  Roland Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:59 am

Hmmm. it fits the pattern... (3rd '98, 4th '04, 5th '08). Although I'd rather they didn't. 4 yrs between editions is WAY too close.... And there is no way they finish updating all the codexes by then. They'll probably have Sisters and Necrons done by then, and maybe a few of the early 4th codexes (Templars, Tau) but I doubt 4.5 (Eldar, Dark Angels... most after that are fine in the CURRENT edition....)...
I realize there are things that need to be done (vehicles need to be slightly less resilient, between 4th and 5th ed, and "True LOS" needs a major tweek) but I just feel like they should hold off an additional year at least.
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

6th edition Empty 6th edition

Post  Selik Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:30 am

not sure if I am really excitted about a new edition coming out. there will still be issues with the game mechanics just like all the other editions. I am not convinced that the higher the edition the better the game play will be. It will just be another way to make use use different tactics. With that being said I am not excited about a new edition coming about. I would prefer to see all the races be updated and be usefull for awhile in the edition they were created in. Although I feel that some of the races that have not been updated are still viable in the current edition. My WH for instance are still very viable to play and I have done well in tounaments with them. So is another edition ust another money grab for GW, I think it is.
I have always had house rules on y game board that my friends and I agreed to to help fix any of the short comings in the edition we were playing. The rules have always said they are guidelines to playing. The house rules really helped my friends and I have a great time with playing the game.

I am looking forward to not working evenings soon so that I can get some game play down at the den.
Selik
Selik
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Timbo Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:43 pm

I wouldn't mind the constant new editions if they were good about updating codexes. But they are so slow. There are several armies that are just not competitive in 5th edition and GW is doing nothing about it. By the time those armies get new books to bring them back in line there will be a new ruleset, it just doesn't make any sense. I agree with the cashgrab theory from the previous post. They could do what they did with the crappy new Ork and Goblin book. Copy and paste all content, add a new expensive unit they can sell, tweak 2 rules and remove 50 magic items. Then make it hardcover so they can charge $10 more. What a piece of crap. Worst GW purchase I've made.
Timbo
Timbo
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:35 pm

Timbo wrote:I wouldn't mind the constant new editions if they were good about updating codexes. But they are so slow. There are several armies that are just not competitive in 5th edition and GW is doing nothing about it. By the time those armies get new books to bring them back in line there will be a new ruleset, it just doesn't make any sense. I agree with the cashgrab theory from the previous post. They could do what they did with the crappy new Ork and Goblin book. Copy and paste all content, add a new expensive unit they can sell, tweak 2 rules and remove 50 magic items. Then make it hardcover so they can charge $10 more. What a piece of crap. Worst GW purchase I've made.

The new book is great. There is a damn sight more than two rules tweaked. Deleting scads of worthless magic items IS a tweek. Making it a hardcover makes it worth ten bucks more. Adding a new unit they can sell? This is a bad idea?
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Timbo Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:04 am

Zing! Got me on both forums! I guess I should have put in an IMHO. Seriously though I'm glad others like the book. It's not like I'm going to give up on GW because of one disappointment. I still think they are great at what they do. I wouldn't own like 7 armies if I didn't. I'll be rocking the dwarves for the forseeable future anyway. Scott, I'm almost done painting them and I'll post some pictures shortly...
Timbo
Timbo
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:44 pm

If you need any dwarf stuff LMK. I have... lots.

The new greenskin book I think it the strongest army book to date. From any of their systems. It does lose the percieved fun and wackiness of all the magic items but truthfully most are in the common items. Not with cool names and fluff granted (which I do miss). But for playability I hope they keep the format for all their books. All the rules tweeks I like a lot.

I know this is a super threadjack but... meh.

What I really like for OnG in the 8th edition is simply the new 8th ed. rules add a lot of room for flavour back into the army. The horde rule and steadfast make goblin units more practical. The change in the way characters are paid for by percentage of army total vs. the slot system means that all the fun and cool goblin stuff like giant squig riders and stuff are now a valid option. It was insane before to use any of your hero slots for anything even remotely not a black orc or a mage. Now I can have 3 or four mini goblin hero's just for fun running arounf in units or on their own. That's super awesome!

Between the army book and the core rules the fun factor for the army looks to me to be at an all time high. So I rate the army book as a resounding success because it caters to what I consider the strongest areas that appeal to me as an OnG player. I hope with all my nuts that GW doesn't escalate the army books like they did in 7th. If they keep the books going like this one 8th will be awesome.
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Timbo Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:57 pm

Scott, I absolutely agree with everything you said about 8th edition. It is the best Fantasy system yet by far, and the OnG list benefits nicely from the horde rules, etc. However OnG's resurrection is a product of the new system, not their new book which has very few changes and is mostly a cut and paste job (IMHO Exclamation ). The book does balance the points the way GW wants, and is perhaps a harbinger of things to come (much fewer magic items in the future!). These are easy changes to make. My question is, if you're going to let your janitor write the new books on his coffee break, why not do the Necrons, Tau, and Eldar at the same time? These books are long overdue and those players would be grateful for any kind of update. Yet they have to soldier on with the crap they have while GW (apparently) is putting effort into a new edition.
Timbo
Timbo
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Paz Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:49 pm

Hey Fantasy dudes, back on topic.

I for one look forward to 6th. It can only mean more stuff for 40k (not that we haven't been getting oodles this year, wow) and thats alright with me.
Paz
Paz
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:57 pm

I don't think the OnG book was a cut and paste job. I genuinely thin kthere was a lot of thought put into any changes made (or not made... sometimes that's a big decision).

As for rapidly putting out 40k books or any books, do NOT hope for that. outdated books may be crap for the people that play that game but bringing out something too soon and not thought out can wreck things for everyone. 7th for Fantasy so the most rapid release of books and most were really, really crappy. Overpowered I mean. And the distance between releases meant that gw couldn't (Even if I thought they wanted to) act on any feedback from the public to alter upcoming releases. A single overpowered 'dex is all it takes to ruin a gaming circle. The demon book was THAT bad for 7th fantasy. If that happens in 40k it's bad news for you round basin' clowns for sure.
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Timbo Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:35 pm

Those are good points. There were some truly awful game-ruining 40K codexes in the past, but they were long ago (Eldar, anyone?). It is a fine balance, and I think GW has done increasingly well at balancing the newer books. Imperial Guard and Space Wolves are considered strong, but not broken. Every once in a while one will slip through the cracks, like the aforementioned Daemons book. I get the need to space out the releases, but the wait for some players has been really long. I don't know what the solution is. Hire more staff? Utilize resources from the huge gaming community? I think GW is doing a relatively good job, but there is always room for improvement.
Timbo
Timbo
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:07 pm

I think GW had it about right when they'd put out those "make weight" lists in WD. Spaced over a couple issues, just a small sampling of what a fully realized army list might contain. They did it for Blood Angels and Chaos Dwarfs back in the day. I can't comment on the BA one, but the CD list seemed to satisfy most players on either side of the table with that list. It of course didn't have the full monty treatment of fluff, new mini's etc. but it did keep players of long overdue lists from being left totally out of the loop. 'Course Chaos Dwarfs never did get their day... but anyway.

If GW put out a coupel articles for Necrons or whatever that might bring up any neccessary rules clarifications for 5th ed, tweak points, and maybe update the wargear slightly I think something like that would go a long way from keeping players of those kind of armies from feeling forgotten. Tomb Kings is one of my fav armies and they got their book in early 6th, I think something like 5-6 years ago (Maybe?). Since it would be white dwarf content I would think the staffing would already be in place. If the lists proved to be out of whack it would be a great way to get some feedback, then just put out a little blurb in another WD. You've got a built in excuse with the "These rules were rushed out yo!". That's the way I would like to see it handled. At the very least it would make WD more interesting than the =I=censor=I= rag I currently punch myslef in the soul every month for buying.

While I am bitching, I must say how much I hate the new GW terrain. Not 'cause it's not cool, I think it's great. I just liked it better when the WD tables would be unique, original, and wholly free of pre-manufactured kits. They made some great, great tables back in the day for all systems.
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:32 am

I dont have much more to weigh in on besides what you guys have mentioned, but I did want to talk about the terrain.

Scott's exactly right.. it's funny how now that they're able to pump some high quality and really well priced terrain.. they use it in all their battles and like you mentioned, brought down the quality of the table sin the white dwarf.

I like almost all the terrain they've been making except for.. the f#cking trees.. geez, just go back to the realistic ones with lichen glues to the branches.. who cares if they wear a bit over over time.. those plastic ones are god awful.

Im not a big fan of the game board either, but I can see its usefulness, especially for packing up purposes.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down