Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Priming

+3
Paz
smackman
master of the deathwing
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Priming Empty Priming

Post  master of the deathwing Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:41 pm

i was just wondering. how do you guys prime models in the winter? Every time i try, its a complete fail, or i have to do 30 really thin coats to get a smooth finish.
master of the deathwing
master of the deathwing
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Priming Empty Re: Priming

Post  Guest Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:58 am

Applejuice and baby tears in a spray bottle, mist after priming...........

In all seriousness, I've found it works well enough to keep your primer and models inside and warm until you take them into the garage (don't know how I'd do it without a garage), if that's not enough try using a hair dryer, or you could bring them back inside to dry after you spray (put them in a bathroom with a fan)

Back to top Go down

Post  smackman Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:37 am

In winter I used to bring them inside to dry and use the bathroom fan idea however it's a hassle and still doesn't get the best results, and you have to do small batches so that you get everything quick, and even then I wait for days like today that are above or near 0. However because that's such a pain I've now switched to air brushing them since I can do it inside (no smell). A garage is really the best bet, exspecially if it's heated, go out spray open the door for a few min to air it out and done.
smackman
smackman
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:15 am

I don't prime in the winter, it doesn't apply nearly as well. Doing it in the house isn't an option, my family would kill me Razz The garage is about as cold as the outside, so that's not an option either.

As much as I dislike my own armies to be unpainted, I'll just have to wait for better weather!

Back to top Go down

Post  Paz Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:38 pm

In my bathroom, with the fan sucking air out-on. Not the best way, or safest by far, but I hold my breath and only do one or two models.
Paz
Paz
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:14 pm

Wierd, I've never had a problem. I store the primer where it's heated and shake the =I=censor=I= out of it for a minute or so. I've sprayed at -20 and maybe a little colder and no problems. I'd just take it down to the den and spray your models in the middle of the store. Preferably over a table where people are playing War Machine or Hordes. It won't hurt their armies because they won't be painted anyway.

SUPER BURN! YES!
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:28 pm

ScottRadom wrote:Wierd, I've never had a problem. I store the primer where it's heated and shake the =I=censor=I= out of it for a minute or so. I've sprayed at -20 and maybe a little colder and no problems. I'd just take it down to the den and spray your models in the middle of the store. Preferably over a table where people are playing War Machine or Hordes. It won't hurt their armies because they won't be painted anyway.

SUPER BURN! YES!
I thought you were being completely seriously until "where people are playing" showed up. Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:51 am

ScottRadom wrote:Preferably over a table where people are playing War Machine or Hordes. It won't hurt their armies because they won't be painted anyway.

SUPER BURN! YES!

**High-Fives Scott OVER the Internet**
gluvzer
gluvzer
Lord of Titan/Hero of ToonCon/Ayatollah of Rock n' Rolla

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:40 pm

Yeha, I do the same thing.. keep the primer inside and if I have to pri9me in winter, just take them out the door a bit and give em a good spray.. Ill bring them in if I have to if its toooo cold and stick them in the bathroom withthe fan on.

However, I usually try to wait for a nice day.. like this weekend so I can do it all outside.

As a side note, I bought some p3 and I hate the crap.. maybe I got a bad can.. but has anyone else used it? Mine comes out super super thin and light. Im gonna pony up the cash for the GW stuff all the way.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:06 pm

When it's really cold and I need something primed I use a large cardboard box with a space heater blowing into it. I have not had a problem yet. The bigger the box the easier it is to paint but too big and it wont keep the heat in.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:31 pm

SUPER BURN! YES![/quote]

'high five'

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:34 pm

System Commander wrote:As a side note, I bought some p3 and I hate the crap.. maybe I got a bad can.. but has anyone else used it? Mine comes out super super thin and light. Im gonna pony up the cash for the GW stuff all the way.

I use it, and like it, which realy suprised me. It is thin, but 2 coats works and it has the most even spray i've ever used.

Scott once recommended Armoury to me. Don't ever buy it, worst ever. No matter how much you shake it, it still clumps on your models.

@Scott - Wanna buy 3/4 of a can of black armoury and a full can of white armoury primer?
gluvzer
gluvzer

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:19 pm

gluvzer wrote:
System Commander wrote:As a side note, I bought some p3 and I hate the crap.. maybe I got a bad can.. but has anyone else used it? Mine comes out super super thin and light. Im gonna pony up the cash for the GW stuff all the way.

I use it, and like it, which realy suprised me. It is thin, but 2 coats works and it has the most even spray i've ever used.

Scott once recommended Armoury to me. Don't ever buy it, worst ever. No matter how much you shake it, it still clumps on your models.

@Scott - Wanna buy 3/4 of a can of black armoury and a full can of white armoury primer?

I'll take 'em both!

I hate GW spray with a passion. Not a primer! I am still trying to track down some Tamiya Mr. Surfacer. I was told by the retards at Hobby world it doesn't get made anymore. Never trust a retard! Turns out it does. I don't want to order it in the winter as it has to go surface and I don't want to rick it freezing.
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:46 pm

gluvzer wrote:

everyone should listen to what this post says, it's pretty much how the primers are.

sadly I still have a few cans of armoury primer. anyone wanna buy 'em? Neutral

Back to top Go down

Post  smackman Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:27 am

Noobs, go buy an airbrush!
smackman
smackman
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:04 am

My gripe with using the GW sprays or an airbrush is that it's still just paint that's going on the model vs. a full on formulated primer. A primer bites into the surface better and helps prevent any chipping or wear and tear. Especially when sealed after.

It's a shame about the armory primer. I had lots fo years of good experience but it is starting to go down the tubes. I still use the grey primer without much issue but I have had can's of black that were poor, same for the white.
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:12 pm

The GW primer isn't actually primer? o.O

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:47 pm

HolyCause wrote:The GW primer isn't actually primer? o.O

Correct. It's a spray paint that's fine for giving a nice start to help get coverage with the actual colours but it lacks the chemicals which help bind the color to the figure like a true primer.

Difference isn't massive except in the wear and tear. Even after coating mini's with 2+ coats of whatever sealer you want if the priming was done with just regular ole' spray paint (like the GW stuff) then the paint can wear off easier. With a true primer the spray binds into the mini, and then the paint binds into the primed surface. This makes an even bigger difference if you spend lots of time on prep and get the surface to be painted really smooth (not that I spend time doing that too much!) but then most models prepped to that level are not gaming pieces.

For all it's defects (Like pretty poor quality control!) Armory spray primer are built to to what a primer should. GW's aren't, and I think the PP ones are just spray paints as well. Same with airbrushing on a base coat. It gives you a great surface to paint on but if handled I think it's better to use a primer then basic spray paint.
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:04 pm

The PP sprays are definitely some sort of primer. The solvent I use to strip the paint off plastic models has nearly no effect on that stuff what-so-ever. It destroys Armouy primer on metal models (haven't used on plastic yet, though), and paint right ontop of plastic/metal. If it were just paint it would peel off no problem as soon as I let the models soak in the solvent for even five minutes; but even after soaking for days it has removed all traces of paint and left the primer virtually unmolested.

Back to top Go down

Post  Lord_Commander_Stash Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:11 pm

gluvzer wrote:

The armoury stuff was working great for me, though I havent bought a can recently.
Lord_Commander_Stash
Lord_Commander_Stash
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:32 pm

The PP stuff might very well be true primer. I guess if it works for you, use it. Weird you say about stripping mini's, I have found the Armoury stuff super tough to remove vs. any other spray. Especially GW. Just Simple Green though, and Pine Sol for a while on some metal stuff. Took a lot of work to get armoury off those bastards!
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Lord_Commander_Stash Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:13 am

I miss the old GW primer
Lord_Commander_Stash
Lord_Commander_Stash
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:18 am

Scvot - your the winner of a full can of garbage ass clumping armoury prinmer.

Ryan - Your the winner of a full can of thin watered down p3 primer, after which I applied three coats and still had metal showing through, and ended up with a greyish primed mini.

Im assuming someone out there is telling me to never buy anything but GW, becasue the three cans of non GW ive boughten in the last 8 years have been pure garbage.. bad luck..? maybe.. but I cant take that chance anymore..
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:14 am

System Commander wrote:
Ryan - Your the winner of a full can of thin watered down p3 primer, after which I applied three coats and still had metal showing through, and ended up with a greyish primed mini.

I win!! Yay!! cheers
gluvzer
gluvzer

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:37 am

That Scvot is one lucky dude!
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan