Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Priming on resin

+3
ScottRadom
Rhaevyn
Planes
7 posters

Go down

Priming on resin Empty Priming on resin

Post  Planes Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:25 pm

Does anyone have tips for priming the resin models from the Citadel Finecast line? My experiences with it thus far is that it will try to repel any paint I try to put on it, forcing me to REALLY gob it on. Daren (I think that's his name, store owner) recommend Reaper's white, but it is suffering the same problem, so I washed it off before it set.
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Priming on resin Empty Re: Priming on resin

Post  Rhaevyn Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:39 pm

spray primer, white or black works good, just have to do quick passes
Rhaevyn
Rhaevyn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:38 pm

Should be okay if you wash the mini's first with a toothbrush, warm water, and a little dish soap. I haven't had any problems with finecast or any other resin but I do make sure I wash off the mini's first. Probably just some residue from the release agent they are using.
ScottRadom
ScottRadom
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:58 pm

I now have a sprayed green cryptek. Once it dries I can make him proper colored.

Middling success with the custom Ctan so far, another coat of ink wash might fix it. I am going to try to light it up with supplies from my parents garage over the course of the next day. Looks like he will be getting a wooden base so I can stash a battery in it.
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  dusktiger Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:54 pm

Working with Resin
This link is from forgeworld and its for working with resin from when you unpackage it to painting it. since finecast is a less expensive version of forge world's resin making process, this tutorial pdf will help alot.

a quick summary of what itll tell you for the painting, is once you get the model ready for paint, do not use any hobby-line spray paint to basecoat. use automotive primer paint, specifically a neutral gray shade. apparently this is what 'every' forgeworld model has used on it, and eny photo you see of an unpainted forgeworld kit on their online store has had this used on it.

so goto walmart and but yourself a can of grey car primer for your finecast models.
dusktiger
dusktiger
Lord of Titan

http://dusktigers-den.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:54 pm

I have never had a problem with any resin model ever.. but dont take my advice since I know some other people have and it does happen.

But seriously.. in what.. 10-12 years.. I think Ive washed maybe 1-2 minis and Ive never had a problem with the primer or paint on the others..
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:17 pm

The green spray primer seems to have done its job well, with the Chaos Black taking well on top of it. The Ctan doesn't seem to be coming along as well, so I think I will back burner it while I finish this cryptek and use spare bits to convert warriors into another two crypteks. Four total crypteks should let me fart around with a fair number of lists.
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:04 pm

If done the toothbrush/soapy water trick with my Resin models. Once I do this, the citadel foundation paints have no problem sticking, I've been priming with Dheneb Stone, then Chaos Black over top (most of) that.

Still thin it out a bit so you don't lose any detail on the mini.
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:14 pm

I really like how this Cryptek is turning out, the difference between this one and the first is simply amazing. I think I will use this green spray for the rest of my priming needs.
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Paz Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:12 pm

I had the same problem when I first used forgeworld. As scott said, it's the release agent for the molds. My first fig I didnt do this, and loads of paint was the only option. Since then I've done the toothbrush and soaking method. Works every time. Smile
Paz
Paz
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down