Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wraithguard = really good?

2 posters

Go down

Wraithguard = really good? Empty Wraithguard = really good?

Post  Timbo Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:22 pm

So, I picked up an Eldar codex (I know, I know). Wraithguard seem insanely good to me. If you take a full unit of 10 with a spiritseer (warlock) they count as a unit of troops. They have to be one of the toughest scoring units in the game. If you give the warlock the Enhance power (I think that power is made for wraithguard) they are WS5 S5 T6 I5! How does one kill 10 toughness 6 infantry that are in cover? Anything (in terms of small units or vehicles) the wraithguard shoot at is going to go away. They are fearless. The only unit they wouldn't want to fight in HtH would be an all-powerfist equipped unit like Nobz or Terminators. A massive hoard like 30 Ork Boyz might be able to overwhlem them, although they would need to roll lots of 6s. An Eldar army can have tons of strength 4 and 6 shooting for really cheap, which is great at whittling hoard armies down to size. Does anyone here have experience with wraithguard? How have they worked for you?
Timbo
Timbo
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Wraithguard = really good? Empty Re: Wraithguard = really good?

Post  System Commander Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:15 pm

Darren used to take wraithguard all the time.. and a unit of berserkers always wiped them out fast. I think even a regular squad of marines with a fist will eventually whittle them down.. in hand to hand.. but it would take a long time.. Youd pretty much be relying on your fist to do the damage. They just dont (or didnt) have viable hand to hand options.. so, thats all I ever was throw a unit to tie them up. They are very expensive and if I can them from shooting, thats a good thing. Now, that doesnt mean they arent good, because they are damn scary. Its just one of those units that are very expensive and really scary, so your opponent is probably going to spend some resources to either ignore them or tie them up.

How much is a unit of 10 and would you slap them in a falcon?

Ill have to whip out my codex is I can dig it out here and dig into them a bit more.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Timbo Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:14 pm

A unit of 10 with a warlock with the enhance power is 396 points. They are a bit expensive, but I really can't see a unit of berzerkers killing them in HTH if the wraithguard get a round of shooting at them first. Of course, it's all conjecture. The wraithguard will be close to 2 wraithlords which will help against assaults some. Wraithguard are no slouches in HTH either when they're enhanced. The warlock gets 2 str 9 attacks, and the unit is all str 5 tough 6. Everyone strikes at initiative 5 with WS 5.

They can't ride in a falcon, although you can put 5 plus a warlock in a wave serpent. Units smaller than 10 cannot count as troops however. So if you want a unit to hop out of a transport and shoot something dead, use fire dragons.
Timbo
Timbo
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down