Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

40k Noob

+3
Lore Weaver
Deadlytoaster
AoOni
7 posters

Go down

40k Noob Empty 40k Noob

Post  AoOni Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:14 am

Ello all.

New to 40k from Prince Albert. Looking to find some guidance on getting started. Too poor to start my own army at the moment but I'm hoping to build it up slowly over time. Really eager to paint an army and make it my own. Any Space Marines players with some advice I'd be happy to soak in everything you've got and hope to contribute to this community as best I can.
AoOni
AoOni
Familiar

Back to top Go down

40k Noob Empty Re: 40k Noob

Post  Deadlytoaster Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:07 am

Greetings and welcome to the hobby! A great place to start are the new "start collecting" boxes. They offer a good amount of savings. (the new space marine one is pretty slick, though the tau one arguably has the best value and roughly the most savings) Alternatively you could spring for the starter Dark Vengeance box which also nets you the mini rulebook, however you end up with dark angels and chaos. You can probably sell the models you don't want but it is a bit of a hassle.

Any armies you are planning on playing? I assume Space Marines since you are seeking advice from those players.

PS my name is Brian btw
Deadlytoaster
Deadlytoaster
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  AoOni Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:42 am

I was really looking to build a Raven Guard army, Brian. Andy told me you played but I couldn't get a hold of you personally so some deep searching and direction lead me here, lol. Is there anywhere in Saskatoon to buy locally or will everything be ordered online?
AoOni
AoOni
Familiar

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:34 am

AoOni wrote:I was really looking to build a Raven Guard army, Brian. Andy told me you played but I couldn't get a hold of you personally so some deep searching and direction lead me here, lol. Is there anywhere in Saskatoon to buy locally or will everything be ordered online?

Dragon's Den Games on 8th Street & Lenore // They also have tables and terrain for games.

Weclome!
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerBalls Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:09 am

Lore Weaver wrote:
AoOni wrote:I was really looking to build a Raven Guard army, Brian. Andy told me you played but I couldn't get a hold of you personally so some deep searching and direction lead me here, lol. Is there anywhere in Saskatoon to buy locally or will everything be ordered online?

Dragon's Den Games on 8th Street & Lenore // They also have tables and terrain for games.

Weclome!

8th and Louise. Not Lenore. Wink

Welcome!
GingerBalls
GingerBalls
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Aegwymourn Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:18 am

Lore Weaver wrote:

Weclome!

Geez Mark, stop confusing the Den and your mistress. Razz
Aegwymourn
Aegwymourn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:22 am

One of 'dem L streets. :-P
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Deadlytoaster Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:58 am

Ahh so you know Andy? Haha small world. And yes as they point out there is a local games store by the name of dragon's den in a little strip mall on 8th St and Louise (not Lenore lol). Raven guard are pretty awesome! Apparently they just got new rules and formations in a tau battlefield expansion book and are pretty great. Unfortunately I do not have this book but I suggest torrenting it for now and checking it out.

As far as initial purchases go I still like the start collecting box (since space marines pretty much all have the same core just different paint scheme and a few different rules) but with raven guard I would definitely want more assault troops (and check their special formations because you might specifically want vanguard vets).
Deadlytoaster
Deadlytoaster
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:14 pm

Hi I'm Beau. RG would be pretty sweet.

Relating to your other post, maybe think about dual use (ie so they can be used in both 30k and 40k). That said I'd personally have no reservations about 30k vs 40k myself.

Cheers and hope to see you around!
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:31 pm

Heyo.. welcome to the forums.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down