Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any groups getting together for painting?

2 posters

Go down

Any groups getting together for painting? Empty Any groups getting together for painting?

Post  Muskwacis Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:55 pm

Hey it's been a while since I was into Warhammer 40k, and with the new necron codex I want to resume my collection! (I was worried they would be bad considering I was just getting into it and heard that they were about to be updated.)

So I still have a decent ways to go with the model assembly and the painting and I heard once that there were some people that got together and worked on their models, and offered tips on how to make the models pop when you look at them. I'm about to pick up the new codex, and a few more of my droid-eka , hover bike looking necrons (Doom blades?) I hear they are viable as well! So if there is a Necron player who understands the new codex I wouldn't mind a list of what I should get for getting a few of those boys on the fields. I heard you can only play certain squads with prerequisite squads or something like that. bounce

Muskwacis
Acolyte

Back to top Go down

Any groups getting together for painting? Empty Re: Any groups getting together for painting?

Post  Planes Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:10 pm

Its been a while since we last had a painting meet. Perhaps once the roads are more consistently good we could get that going again.

Tomb Blades would be the unit you are thinking of, and they are indeed pretty solid now, and they're only required if you run the new Ur-Formation that comes in the new codex, as opposed to a CAD or Allied Detachment.

Before any of us could give you a list of what to pick up, how about you let us know what you're starting with?
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Any groups getting together for painting? Empty Re: Any groups getting together for painting?

Post  Muskwacis Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:19 pm

Right now I have

One squad of Warriors
One Necron Triarch Stalker
One Necron Catacomb Command Barge,
One squad of Necron Wraiths
One Necron Triarch Praetorians
One Doom Scythe
One squad of Necron Immortals.
One Necron Lord with Ressurection Stone

Last edited by Muskwacis on Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Muskwacis
Acolyte

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:39 pm

Warriors: Likely to become the bread and butter of your army, they have become much more durable with the changes to Reanimation Protocols. Paired with a Ghost Ark makes them even more so, either by hiding them inside of it as a transport, or being backed by one to regenerate d3 Warriors every turn. If you're looking to grab a bunch of these to bulk out your force, the Battle Force is a solid and affordable way to do such. (20 Warriors, 5 Immortals/Deathmarks, Ghost Ark, 5 Scarab bases).

Triarch Stalker: Works different now compared to the old book, but arguably better, since it no longer has to hit to prime a target. Cheaper to run now, too. Great support unit.

Command Barge: No longer a Dedicated Transport, but can be taken as an HQ slot and comes with an Overlord riding it. It's decent and quite mobile, which can be useful for Maelstrom missions.

Wraiths: They can no longer be run in squads of 1, so you'll want to pick up a box of them to get a viable squad size. That being said, these guys are nucking futs in this book, so you'll be wanting to take them anyway. There is a formation you can take them in that requires a Spyder and some Scarabs, but you can hand out Reanimation Protocols or two other rules you aren't going to choose to the Wraiths, making them even harder to kill.

Triarch Praetorians: Roughly half the price they were before, they are much more viable. Two squads of them go into a formation with the Stalker, but it's not as impressive as some of the other formations. They're nifty, though.

Doom Scythe: No longer as surgical with it's shooting, a Str 10, AP 1, Small Blast, Lance shot is nothing to scoff at. Glancing a Land Raider on a 2 and Penetrating on a 3+ means you're more likely to be trying to use this to de-mech your opponent's force rather than mowing down infantry with it.

Immortals: Your other Troop choice, they're a solid unit. That being said, a delivery method for them would probably be a good idea, and that method is usually a Night Scythe.

Lord with Orb: Basic lords are now HQ choices in their own right, which is a nice option if you still want to take a Warscythe in a squad with a lower price on the base body. They can also be taken as a part of the Royal Court formation, if you're looking to use that super formation I was talking about earlier.

So, with all that established, some things to look at would be the following: Necron Battleforce to bulk out both kinds of troops and to get a Ghost Ark and Scarabs, a Spyder to go with the Wraiths and Scarabs, a Night Scythe for your Immortals, Some Wraiths to get the squad up to size, and maybe a Cryptek, as they're the most affordable HQ in the whole book and do a lot to make the squad they're in more durable. If you're looking to use that super formation, Tomb Blades would also be a good idea. That would likely get your army in a good place to start, and from there and playing with the book you should be able to figure out what kind of play style you want to do with the army.
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down