Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tyranid lictors

5 posters

Go down

tyranid lictors Empty tyranid lictors

Post  judchic Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:22 am

I've been looking at the rules for lictors and I have 2 questions
if you deploy 3 they are 1 elites choice but they don't need to be deployed together. does this mean you need to roll reserves for each one you have?
can they deploy into cover that an enemy unit is in?
judchic
judchic
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

tyranid lictors Empty Re: tyranid lictors

Post  System Commander Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:19 am

Yes, they are deplyed separately. One note as well though, each Lictor will count as one kill point since they operate as separate units.

Yup, you can put Lictors in any terrain piece. You have to write down which terrain piece they are going into during the infiltration stage right?
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Veyure Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:28 am

Im pretty sure they are rolled for together. would it not be like imperial guard platoons? they are one choice yet they roll collectively for reserves?
Veyure
Veyure
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:35 am

Nope, you buy them as one choice but they are deployed separately. Exact same rules for Deathcult Assasssin. You buy up to three as one choice, but they are deployed separately and act as a separate units.

Each Lictor will have to make a separate reserve roll.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  judchic Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:56 pm

System Commander wrote:
Yup, you can put Lictors in any terrain piece. You have to write down which terrain piece they are going into during the infiltration stage right?

the codex doesn't say. it just says you have to deep strike them.
judchic
judchic
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:59 pm

You have to choose a piece of terrain to put them in though right? When does it say to do that?
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Administratum Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:09 pm

I believe that the lictors have to appear in a piece of terrain by deepstrike. In the last codex they had to specify before the game which piece, but under the new rules i dont think you have to pick before the battle.
So to sum it up, lictors deepstrike like any other deepstriking unit, except that they must be placed in a piece of terrain when they appear, and cannot scatter further than the edge of the chosen terrain piece.

Administratum
Inquisitor Lord

https://huntersofthewarp.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew G Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:58 pm

They wouldn't have to make a dangerous terrain test would they? Seems dumb if they would considering they HAVE to DS into terrain...
Matthew G
Matthew G
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

tyranid lictors Empty lictors

Post  judchic Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:02 am

Matthew G wrote:They wouldn't have to make a dangerous terrain test would they? Seems dumb if they would considering they HAVE to DS into terrain...
technically they start in the terrain and are simply jumping out or so the codex says
judchic
judchic
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Administratum Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:25 am

Well i guess it depends on the wording, which says, and i quote, "They must always deepstrike into a piece of terrain". Any practical person would say you absolutely do not have to make a dangerous terrain test, but this is where rules lawyering goes bad. The codex was written before the new rules which state that you take dangerous terrain tests for deepstriking into terrain. So under the old rules you would not take the test. Under the new rules however it is very clear that you have to take dangerous terrain tests when your models deepstrike into difficult terrain. So there is no argument here, if you use lictors your opponent can make you take dangerous terrain tests with them when they show up. This is where the whole cliche "spirit of the rules" argument comes in. Everyone knows what the rule should be, but the lawyer will win every time because you cant refute what is there in writing, regardless of the history of the game, or what people think should be right. So take lictors at your own peril. Im pretty sure that most of the people in our group would never make you take this test, but you never know, i dont know everyone.

Administratum
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:21 am

Hmm, I'll agree and disagree at the same time.

Since basic terrain got a big cover boost in 5th (regular trees are now 4+!) and I think the lictor does get a bonus for being in terrain, he's got hige advantages hiding in it. To compensate for it, you have to make a dangerous terrain test. That's the good way of looking at it.

Of course the bad way is that lictors are camouflage masters and aren't ever really deepstriking anywhere.. technically they've been there the whole time.. however, by letter of the rules and this is a pretty clear one, you'd have to make a dangerous test when the lictor deepstrikes.

I would reccomend not asking your opponent about letting the rule slide at the beginning of the game though. If you ask for one rule to brushed over, it's very easy for him to ask for one back and now your obligated to agree.. things can degreade very fast that way.

Until the Nids get an update or a change, you'll have to use them that way. Have you checked the 5th edition faq's for the Tyranids?
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:27 pm

I checked out the 5th edition faq and there is nothing about Lictors in there, so I'm afraid your stuck with a dangerous terrain test unless there's some other information out there we don't have.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Administratum Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:12 pm

I have been overruled by the system commander, who is of course right. If we let this one slide what is next.

Administratum
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew G Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:48 pm

Our god has spoken...

Avoid lictors as they need an FAQ now because they suck otherwise because of that Sad
Matthew G
Matthew G
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:51 pm

Well, its a touch call on that one. Obejctive based missions he'd probably great in. They are a mixed bag, but they pros and cons. It's a 1 in 6 chance of coming up, and the mishap table is more compromising in 5th edition. As well, starting in cover that will be at worst a 4+ sve means that lictor is going to be hacing a 2+ against shooting attacks. If he can get close to vehicles, he'll be good at taking them out withthe new back armor thing.

Now, negatvies.. hes a kill point.. and if you take three.. they are three kill points. He'll probably get the beatdown in close combat now becasue of the ile in and the rending claw nerf..

So, is he worth it? Pure judgement call. Sometimes lictors can mess around with opponents if they now they're out there. Tau might think twice against putting fire warriors in terrain.. a lictor could take them out pretty easy.

So, it just comes down if you like using them or not.. Ive got a few units I take all the time because I love them.. although on the battlefield they are pretty dman horrible under 5th edition.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down