Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tyranid questions

4 posters

Go down

tyranid questions Empty tyranid questions

Post  judchic Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:31 pm

if a hive tyrant has 2 venom cannons does it count as twin linked?
also can raveners have a ranged weapon in addition to the rending and scything claws? (wanting to confirm this b/c i have never seen any models loaded with the 3 but the codex says that the raveners must choose 2 melee weapons (2 scything or scything/rending) and can also choose a ranged weapon that counts as a biomorph)
judchic
judchic
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

tyranid questions Empty Re: tyranid questions

Post  Matthew G Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:28 pm

To me, it sounds like you answered your own question.....
If in doubt, Ask GW themselves, though combined I think this league has more experience on this front...
Matthew G
Matthew G
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:17 am

I'm pretty sure the tyrant counts as having 2 separate venon cannons if Im correct. Unless it actually says they become TL, it counts as 2 separate weapons... and yes you can fire them both in a turn. The mian example that comes to mind is the infamous Dakkafex who carries two twin linked devourers... so he gets 8 shots a turn and gets to reroll misses and wounds.

If the codex says you can buy shooting for the ravenors, buy away! I think they start to become pretty exspensive now though.. and ravenors excel in hand to hand. If your stopping to fire a gun at a pretty crappy BS (I believe), thats an extra run move your missing out on.

I would definitely reccommend posting any rules questions here first before calling GW for a couple of main reasons.

First, it's easier asking us and get some discussion going on the topic. It's always good to see other peoples opinions on it.

Second, GW hasn't been reliable with advice in the past. Two guys calling getting different ruling on the same question, not really answering the question but hinting at it, stuff like that. So, it's probablty better to ask first and if something is really goofy, we can make a ruling for the league in a way that's not destructive.

And lastly, I've never liked the "GW said" argument for the rule. If they tell you something along the lines of page 50 says this and page 64 says this, therefore the rule is this.. thats good. But most of the time what happens is they are phoned for a question, they give an answer (which is usually wrojng since the player didnt ask right in the first place), it's taken as the golden word. and arguments eventually form. The ruling could be the most ridiculous thing in the world, but the player still accepts it.. and will defend it adamantly of course even more fervently if they agree with it.

That's it for my rule asking rant! So, questions.. ask away! And for new players, don't be scared to ask any questions, no matter how trivial they may seem. I still make mistakes to this day as do alot of people.

My favorite story about game rules is back around my .. oh, 10th or so game. I was playing with some Catachan Jungle Fighters. I automatically assumed that everything in the Fast Attack portion of the army list meant thet they were Fast.. so could move 24". For the regular guard list, it wasn't unrealistic. They had Roughriders, Hellhounds and Sentinels. My Sentinels were the quickest moving dudes around.. especially since they had the Scouts rule to. If I got first turn, I could Scout move 24" and then regular move 12" to get behind a tank and start firing at rear armor.. I was awesome!! It wasnt until I was looking at the Catachan army I realized I might be reading something wrong, since you could take a Catchan Devil squad as a fast attack. They were super cool guys, a squad of Rambos more or less.. setting booby traps, starting in ambush, all sorts of awesome stuff. However... they were men.. dudes on foot. And by my definition of Fast attack, this meant these guys could move 24" a turn.. !!! hmmmmm.. So, I eventually figured that one out, but you can see the confusion.

So thats my example of something that seems easy but can cause confusion... using Fast in two different places for the rules.

Wall of Text ends here.

System Commander

Last edited by System Commander on Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:47 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Edited response and added)
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Administratum Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:02 pm

Page 30 of codex tyranids. Under ranged weapon symbiotes it says that any tyranid that carries 2 of the same ranged weapons count them as twin linked. This is why you never see carifexes with 2 venom cannons. It is more effective to have a venom cannon and a barbed strangler etc...

Administratum
Inquisitor Lord

https://huntersofthewarp.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:39 pm

There you go, question answered.

How does the Dakkafex work then? I know that he comes with 2 twin linked devourers. Is this a special set-up?
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Administratum Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:05 pm

The dakkafex has 2 twin linked devourers, and usually spine banks. The devourer is 2x, so each twin linked pair get 4 (8 total on a dakkafex) shots that can reroll hits due to twin linked, and reroll wounds because the gun has living ammunition. Spine banks are a common addition because they act as an additional gun that can be shot as a spine fist.

Administratum
Inquisitor Lord

https://huntersofthewarp.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down