Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

April 12th tournament

+6
Planes
GingerBalls
System Commander
Paz
superdeuxlol
Matthew G
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

April 12th tournament Empty April 12th tournament

Post  Matthew G Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:24 pm

Hey all,
I didn't wanna post this on the tournament post because I don't want to ninja that post.

I want to go to the tournament but I have no idea how I am going to deal with LoW's. And that "fear" is kinda keeping me on the ropes about signing up (if there is even space still).

Jesse said I can use his stormtalon so I can complete and field a stormwing dataslate formation, but I don't know how well that will even do especially with peoples abundance of skyfire/interceptors. I don't have the armor to keep my dudes safe from a 7" apoc blast Str10 AP1, armor, fleshbane weapon, so Unless I DS my whole army it will get erased 1st turn...

In a nut shell, for those who may think I am complaining, I have NEVER ever ever played a game against any type of super heavy, and am not equipped to deal damage to them, save for a deep striking Sternguard with 6 meltas. Will that be enough? I don't know lol.

If anyone wants to PM me for a friendly discussion, or post here, I need advice/tips and such.

Sorry for my broken speech, trying to type this at work, lol.
Matthew G
Matthew G
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

April 12th tournament Empty Re: April 12th tournament

Post  superdeuxlol Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:44 pm

12 stern guard to be safe. I don't think there will be that many out there and gearing your list to them can leave you really weak to other armies.

Also remember that not all of them are vehicles. In fact most of the ones I have heard people talking about taking are gargantuan creatures lol
superdeuxlol
superdeuxlol
Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew G Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:46 pm

superdeuxlol wrote:12 stern guard to be safe. I don't think there will be that many out there and gearing your list to them can leave you really weak to other armies.

Also remember that not all of them are vehicles. In fact most of the ones I have heard people talking about taking are gargantuan creatures lol

Wonderful...
lol, Can't take 12 sternguard. I only own so many. 5 is all I have, adding tycho gives me 6, I can add 2 more with heavy flamers, but Im omitting those.
Matthew G
Matthew G
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Paz Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:50 pm

Super heavies are still vehicles man. What kills vehicles? Lascannons, meltas, missile launchers, power fists, chain fists, melta bombs etc.

And every 3 hullpoints gets u a vp.

Remember 5th, facing vehicle heavy armies? Take what you would then.

If you don't have anti-vehicle... Well then you need to get some. It's important to have in all 40k games, not just escalation.
Paz
Paz
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew G Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:54 pm

Paz wrote:Super heavies are still vehicles man. What kills vehicles? Lascannons, meltas, missile launchers, power fists, chain fists, melta bombs etc.

And every 3 hullpoints gets u a vp.

Remember 5th, facing vehicle heavy armies? Take what you would then.

If you don't have anti-vehicle... Well then you need to get some. It's important to have in all 40k games, not just escalation.

True. Good points.
How many of the LoWs have those nasty Str 10 -  7" blasts tho? I know of Dusktigers Fellblade, if he brings it.... What monsterous creatures was superdeuxlol referring to? What kind of weapons they got?
Matthew G
Matthew G
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  superdeuxlol Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:59 pm

Apoc flamer str d, and a ground vector strike at str d on a model the size of a regular ctan.
superdeuxlol
superdeuxlol
Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:59 pm

I havent been anle to figire out if i can make it or not.. but id potentially bring a baneblade or gargantuan flyer.

They are so expensive though.. thered be little else on the table. The creature can still only kill so much a turn. The baneblade can do more damage output but can die to a few good shots.

If its taken out quickly.. youll be down 3 vp before its done anything.. i dont like those odds of winning. BUT Id get to use it. Ive used it twce ever
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerBalls Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:20 pm

I suggest signing up anyway, if for nothing else, as a learning experience. I've never faced super heavys/gargants either, but I'll soon find out what it's like.
GingerBalls
GingerBalls
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew G Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:25 pm

GingerBalls wrote:I suggest signing up anyway, if for nothing else, as a learning experience. I've never faced super heavys/gargants either, but I'll soon find out what it's like.

Wtb tau
Lol
Matthew G
Matthew G
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew G Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:38 pm

System Commander wrote:I havent been anle to figire out if i can make it or not.. but id potentially bring a baneblade or gargantuan flyer.

They are so expensive though.. thered be little else on the table. The creature can still only kill so much a turn. The baneblade can do more damage output but can die to a few good shots.

If its taken out quickly.. youll be down 3 vp before its done anything.. i dont like those odds of winning. BUT Id get to use it. Ive used it twce ever

I have to re-read the missions again to see what kind of scoring I need to deal with, but I guess 3VP from downing a super heavy is, good...

Just have to hope that what I bring can get some good hits off on the LoW... I fear the monstrous ones...
Matthew G
Matthew G
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:45 pm

Yeah, the monsterous ones tend to come with some pretty mean stat lines, including, but not limited to, FNP, IWND, and silly high toughness values. All those goodies come at a price, though. My perfered load-out of Trancendant C'Tan sits at 890 points, which would only leave me 960 points to actually play the mission with.
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew G Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:47 pm

Planes wrote:Yeah, the monsterous ones tend to come with some pretty mean stat lines, including, but not limited to, FNP, IWND, and silly high toughness values.  All those goodies come at a price, though.  My perfered load-out of Trancendant C'Tan sits at 890 points, which would only leave me 960 points to actually play the mission with.

But how much firepower can that C-tan absorb... ?
Matthew G
Matthew G
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:49 pm

6 wounds with T9 and a 4++ with FNP and IWND.  If you can pop him in my deployment zone, however, he explodes 4d6" at Str 10 Ap 2.
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew G Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:50 pm

Planes wrote:6 wounds with T9 and a 4++ with FNP and IWND.  If you can pop him in my deployment zone, however, he explodes 4d6" at Str 10 Ap 2.

fast mover?
Matthew G
Matthew G
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhaevyn Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:05 pm

depends on what he takes for abilities, there is an ability that lets him draw a 24" line on the ground, move that far and every model under the line takes a str D hit....
Rhaevyn
Rhaevyn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Matthew G Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:11 pm

Rhaevyn wrote:depends on what he takes for abilities, there is an ability that lets him draw a 24" line on the ground, move that far and every model under the line takes a str D hit....

Scary... but neat.
Kinda like a pimped up JotWW
Matthew G
Matthew G
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:49 pm

Only 18", not 24'. Very much like JotWW in that it can snipe individual models, though.

I'll probably be opting for the marginally toned down 660 point load out. T-Cans are 420 points base, but have to buy two shooty powers and one misc ability, which is what gets you.

That being said, Gargantuans move 12" by default, if I remember right, so they still close in pretty quick.
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Aengeal Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:17 pm

I don't think the Transcendent C'Tan has IWND, at least not that I can find in the Escalation book. Is there another source that says it does?
Aengeal
Aengeal
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:30 pm

IWND, if I remember right, is one of the slew of rules that gets conferred to a model for being a Gargantuan Creature.

Edit: just went searching for the Gargantuan Creature rules, and one of the first things to pop up was the FW 6th Ed addendum on the subject. According to that document, Super Heavy's are not immune to entropic strike, just three times more resistant to it than a normal vehicle.

Back to the Gargantuans, from the FW doc:

Forge World wrote:All Gargantuan creatures are subject to the following special rules unless specified otherwise in their profile: Fearless, Eternal Warrior, Hammer of Wrath (D3*), Move Through Cover, Smash, Gargantuan Resistances, Terrifying (see below for these latter rules).

Additionally, they seem to be AP1 in melee, rather than AP2, and melee ala Ordinance?

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/a/apoc6thupdate.pdf

Looks like IWND isn't part of the Gargantuan Creature's kit after all.

Last edited by Planes on Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Aengeal Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:32 pm

These are the ones listed in my copy of Escalation:

Fear, Fearless, Feel No Pain, Hammer of Wrath, Move Through Cover,
Relentless, Smash, Strikedown, Vector Strike (Flying Gargantuan Creatures
only).
Aengeal
Aengeal
Sage

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:40 pm

Looks like I'll need to look through the Escalation book when I get home, seems to be some differences.
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:19 pm

It seems that I am currently unable to find a working copy of the book at this point in time.

None of the point values or weapon profiles for the T-Can changed from the Apoc release, did it?
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhaevyn Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:57 pm

if your using my folder, a lot of the new pdfs kinda suck, i pretty much have moved to using epubs or mobis cuz .... well cuz.

tranny Ctan 420 points base.

April 12th tournament Ctan10

SPECIAL RULES:

Transcendent Necrodermis: This model has a 4+ invulnerable save. If the Transcendent C’tan loses its last Wound, all models within 4D6" suffer a Strength 10 AP2 hit.

OPTIONS:

• A Transcendent C’tan must have one of the following powers:
- Storm of Heavenly Fire - 50 pts
- Seismic Shockwave - 60 pts
- Transliminal Stride - 120 pts
• A Transcendent C’tan must take two Ascendant Powers (weapons) from the following list:
- Cosmic Fire - 60 pts
- Sky of Falling Stars - 115 pts
- Transdimensional Maelstrom - 120 pts
- Wave of Withering - 120 pts
- Antimatter Meteor - 150 pts
- Seismic Assault - 200 pts

Rhaevyn
Rhaevyn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhaevyn Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:59 pm

MOVEMENT
Gargantuan Creatures can move 12" in the Movement phase unless specified otherwise. Apart from this, they obey the movement rules for Monstrous Creatures. Flying Gargantuan Creatures follow the movement rules for Flying Monstrous Creatures without any modification.

SHOOTING
When a Gargantuan Creature or Flying Gargantuan Creature makes a shooting attack, it may fire each of its weapons at a different target if desired. In addition, firing Ordnance weapons has no effect on a Gargantuan Creature or Flying Gargantuan Creature’s ability to fire other weapons. Gargantuan Creatures and Flying Gargantuan Creatures cannot fire Overwatch.

STOMP
Gargantuan Creatures and Gliding Flying Gargantuan Creatures may make Stomp attacks in the same manner as Super-heavy Walkers (see the Super-heavy Walkers section).

UNSTOPPABLE
Any attack that normally inflicts Instant Death or says that the target model is removed from play inflicts D3 Wounds on a Gargantuan Creature or Flying Gargantuan Creature instead.

In addition, attacks with the Sniper special rule only cause a Wound on a roll of a 6. Attacks with the Poisoned special rule only cause a Wound on a roll of a 6 (unless the attack’s Strength would cause a Wound on a lower result).

SPECIAL RULES
Gargantuan Creatures and Flying Gargantuan Creatures have the following special rules:

Fear, Fearless, Feel No Pain, Hammer of Wrath, Move Through Cover, Relentless, Smash, Strikedown, Vector Strike (Flying Gargantuan Creatures only).
Rhaevyn
Rhaevyn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:22 pm

Thanks for the clarification, it seems that I did indeed spend my points correctly then.
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum