Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Darksfears Commander Farsight

+2
Dom.0
Darksfear
6 posters

Go down

Darksfears Commander Farsight Empty Darksfears Commander Farsight

Post  Darksfear Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:59 am

Thought I would throw my hat into the ring for this. I'm making a brand new custom Farsight Model. I'll have some pictures up hopefully by tonight.
Darksfear
Darksfear
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Darksfears Commander Farsight Empty Re: Darksfears Commander Farsight

Post  Darksfear Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:21 pm

Darksfears Commander Farsight 20130912 Darksfears Commander Farsight 20130913

Alrighty, so finished day one and here is what I have so far. I've avoided putting in the legs until I can decide how I want to pose them, and I had to pop the head back off when I realized that the sword was close enough to make detail work difficult so that will be going back on once everything is complete.

To start with I took Farsight's model kit and a regular crisis suit. I used the crisis suit torso as the base but inserted Farsight's jetpacks and rear pointy bit in between the jets. I then took farsights arms and cut them in half and reworked them so they could both grasp one sword. For the sword I swiped Imotekh's staff as the hilt as well as a Skull Taker's sword as the blade. For the shield generator I figured that since Farsight could not use his shield very well when wielding the sword, it would be better to  instead to mount the shield generator on the side  and make a handless one.

The three fins on the shield pop out as little shield projectors that I am currently working to put into a scene of them actually projecting a shield for Farsight. Was going to work on that as well today but I cannot find my geometry kit so I will have to replace it before I am comfortable trying to cut out clear plastic templates. The three fins are each composed of a wraithblades shield, a thruster from the jetpack of a crisis suit and two tau antennae left over from some of my stealth suit sets.
Darksfear
Darksfear
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Darksfear Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:25 pm

Darksfears Commander Farsight 20130914 Darksfears Commander Farsight 20130915

Alrighty, day 2 of working down. Today I finally worked out how I was doing the legs, and managed to fix the problem of what to do with the unused hip sockets. Farsight finally has a finished body, now I just need to decide if I'm going to do anything special for the head.
Darksfear
Darksfear
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:06 am

You should go 'Dynamic Entry' for his basing.

I love the swapping of longsword for greatsword

Back to top Go down

Post  Dom.0 Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:46 pm

that reminds me i still need to give you thoes IG bits
Dom.0
Dom.0
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Darksfear Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:57 pm

Darksfears Commander Farsight 20130916 Darksfears Commander Farsight 20130919

Alrighty, so next batch of work on farsight. Its not gonna be too visible in the pics yet but I've started to work on the battle damage of Farsight's suit, specifically adding in some power claw slash marks to the front of the torso and the shoulder. I will be working on adding bullet holes and getting some melta damage in next. Then I can get the torso primed up and ready to look at starting to paint.

I made Farsight a quick base (he us detachable from it), man working with clear plastic is a pain in the ass. Everytime I tried to cut it the pieces would explode off. Think I got it looking the best I can right now and I will look into polishing the base up some more in the coming weeks. Eventually I will base it with black sand and a dead orc shot to death with the plasma rifle.

I finished his head, not too much different from a regular crisis suit head but the sword positioning provides room restraints. Just a few added bits from unused Wraithblade swords. I like how it turned out though.

Last but not least I finally got to working on his shield. Now all I have to do is dye or wash the clear plastic with a light purple and I think it will look really good.

Been venturing into a lot of unfamiliar ground with this project and hoping it will look nice in the end. Oh and Dom, I will not be needing the IG bits anymore because I found some unused orcs in the spare room and found some stuff that will work out instead. Farsight is anti orc after all so it will fit the flavor more.
Darksfear
Darksfear
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:08 am

I have to whole heatedly agree that skimmer/jump stands are a royal pain in the butt to work with. I like where you are going with the shield idea, definitely wasn't expecting anyone to bust out anything like that in this competition! However, with my experience with trying to tint clear plastic, I would recommend either just getting a piece of plastic/acrylic close to the shade you wish to work with, or using the clear plastic you already have and just straight up paint it, defining energy grids or impact flashes and the like. I recall seeing a really well done example of the latter on tumblr some time ago, I can try to dig it up for you, if you want.
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Darksfear Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:35 am

Sure, I'd certainly like to see an example given I haven't tried this before. Was the shield still clear when it was finished though? I was kind of still hoping Farsight would be visible through it.
Darksfear
Darksfear
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Paz Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:08 pm

love the pose man. quick question on the sword (I haven't read the farsight enclaves fluff, so don't know if retconned from previous fluff) but is the sword daemonic in nature, or old ones/necron tech like it used to be?
Paz
Paz
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:06 pm

Here's a link to the suit I was talking about, tracked it down on Dakka Dakka:

http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/400521-XV9%20Commander%20R'Alai%20CarbonFiber%20n%20Shields.html

To the best of my knowledge, the sword is of an "unknown alien race", but when you line up it's fluff effect with the Chronos Engine, makes me think that it might have something to do with the Dark Eldar.
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Darksfear Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:03 pm

As far as I know the sword has a very Dark Eldarish feel but seems to be from an extinct alien race. None of the books I have ever read have actually stated a race. The reason it seems Dark Eldar like is that it steals souls of those it kills and extends the life of the wielder (though that's closer to the 3rd Ed DE than the current who just subside off of pain and suffering). Would have loved to use one of there swords for it but none of them really fit the size of the crisis suit.

And wow that shield looks good. Its definitely gonna give me something to think about.
Darksfear
Darksfear
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Darksfear Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:07 pm

Not a whole lot of progress today, but I did get Farsight primed so painting can begin right away. Most of my work has been towards plotting out how I intend to proceed with my shield, a course which will probably be long and frustrating but hopefully worth the effort IF I can pull it off. The shield I'm showing right now has been relegated to my tester shield as I begin construction on a much more delicate project.

Darksfears Commander Farsight 20130920 Darksfears Commander Farsight 20130921
Darksfears Commander Farsight 20130922 Darksfears Commander Farsight 20130923

Darksfear
Darksfear
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Darksfear Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:15 pm

Alrighty guys, Farsight is up.
Darksfears Commander Farsight 20131013
Darksfears Commander Farsight 20131014 Darksfears Commander Farsight 20131015Darksfears Commander Farsight 20131016Darksfears Commander Farsight 20131017 Darksfears Commander Farsight 20131018 Darksfears Commander Farsight 20131019
Darksfear
Darksfear
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:53 pm

Oh cool, the shield bits are magnetized. That's great!
Planes
Planes
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Aegwymourn Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:52 pm

Looks awesome Tyson. For how ambitious it was and how little time we had looks really nice.
Aegwymourn
Aegwymourn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Dana Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:07 pm

I like the blood splatter looks like he's been busy
Dana
Dana
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Darksfear Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:11 pm

Thanks guys. Its really great to finally see all the work come together. Plus the magnets will make great wound counters when I'm not using them for the shield.
Darksfear
Darksfear
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Paz Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:54 am

Looks good man. Why the decision to go over the sides of the base with modelling sand? Just curious, I haven't seen that before.
Paz
Paz
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Darksfear Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:00 am

In the future when I finally get enough time and energy to go back to this project I actually want to make up a large oval base with a scene of carnage that Farsight just caused and have it so that I can mount Farsight's smaller base into it to complete the scene. I based the sides so that I could make it fit together better.
Darksfear
Darksfear
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Paz Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:03 pm

Ah, makes sense!
Paz
Paz
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down