Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Faeit 212, BoLS???

+4
Rhaevyn
Aegwymourn
Paz
Commander James of the Ul
8 posters

Go down

Faeit 212, BoLS??? Empty Faeit 212, BoLS???

Post  Commander James of the Ul Wed May 01, 2013 10:15 am

So GW is now going after the fans. So we can no longer post pic of cool new releases. Post release anyway. Dam it I was really looking forward to buying some Eldar when they came out... But now I don't know now. As a business owner I like to get clients interested in a product or commodity before the sale date, or contract buy out date. Interest equal more money... And what faeit 212 and BoLS were doing that for GW free of charge. But GW has now turned into a fascist company that wants to control its consumers... ugh

Just wanted to know the forums thoughts on this.

ps this was written up while a 2 yr was screaming at me so please excuse some grammar miss takes.

Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Faeit 212, BoLS??? Empty Re: Faeit 212, BoLS???

Post  Paz Wed May 01, 2013 12:01 pm

Well here's the probs man. Gw wants money. They have seen an increase in sales for new armies, which they see as proof squashing rumor leaks work. So faeit is a danger to making money, hence shutdown.
Many companies do the same thing. I love sneak peeks as much as the next guy, but I get why they do it.
Especially if its illegal (ppl breaking non-disclosure agreements, illegally photographing things).
It won't stop the rumors tho. It's the Internet after all.
Paz
Paz
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Aegwymourn Wed May 01, 2013 1:15 pm

Well only Faiet currently was shut down due to a cease request and it was only on pre-release images of White Dwarf. As of this morning BoLS was not taken down due to that according to BigRed.

I dunno if I agree with GW on this or not. If I owned a magazine that is as picture heavy as White Dwarf and people were sneaking images of it before hand I would probably be cranky as well.
Aegwymourn
Aegwymourn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhaevyn Thu May 02, 2013 7:58 am

its a dumb move tbh. the hype mill and those pre-release pics work people into a frenzy for weeks before a release and then when releases happen, you end up with guys buying 2-3 riptides on the spot because they can't help themselves anymore. people making buying decisions based on pictures is the best thing ever for GW, how many boxes of Chaos raptors did they sell in the first week based on how cool they look? you only have a small window to sell bad units before people get to dissect the actual rules and realize they are bad.

GW really needs to take a look at their sales engine and stop shooting themselves in the foot.

Could also just be a case of protecting thier IP, which the lawyers might insist on, even if the marketing department doesn't want to.
Rhaevyn
Rhaevyn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Faeit 212, BoLS??? Empty Re faeit 212 BoLS

Post  Commander James of the Ul Thu May 02, 2013 8:09 am

Aegwymourn wrote:Well only Faiet currently was shut down due to a cease request and it was only on pre-release images of White Dwarf. As of this morning BoLS was not taken down due to that according to BigRed.

I dunno if I agree with GW on this or not. If I owned a magazine that is as picture heavy as White Dwarf and people were sneaking images of it before hand I would probably be cranky as well.

But I agree with Rhaevyn. Those pic's do wonders for nerd that don't get the DW magazine and still won't buy the DW magazine. When I say GK leaked pic's that sealed the deal for me. I spent over a grand on those shiny little punks. Bought a dread knight just on the leaked photo's.

Well I guess we will have to see how eldar, SM go. If there is no hip then I got no interest.

Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Thu May 02, 2013 8:37 am

EreGuys, this is really 2 questions.

1) is GW right to do this? Absolutely, not only do they have the right to do so, they have to due to copyright/trademark laws.

2) is GW smart to do this? No. Gw's current sales model is basically to have a full monopoly on every aspect of the buying experience. Want to see what's coming soon? Buy our "magazine" or visit our website. The new sales agreement means for almost 70% of their line, your cheapest source is the online store (which also gives them the highest sales margin, as it has the lowest overhead), and finally, if sales are down, we simply raise prices to cover the gap.

As a customer, I now have to buy fewer models, I have to buy many direct from gw (which hurts Darren and flgs's. Finally, I can't make an informed decision about what I'm buying due to a lack of true advertising. Go back and look at Ye olde rumor mill. Where are the cult Termies? The inner circle power armor unit w/ gunslingers? The allies book or the flyers book with new flyers? So we wait and pay $60 for books that were $$40 last year and find out that this sucks and that blows and that one rocks.

GW needs to realize bitz make them money. "Leaks" make them money. Flgs's make them money. A copy editor, a proofreader and a technical writer would make them gobs of money. Pissing off customers, alienating buyers and trying to do everything hurts them as a business. TSR used to send C and D's and put out crappy overpriced product. Anyone heard of them lately?
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Thu May 02, 2013 8:44 am

WotC (via Hasbro) could end up buying GW as soon as the stock price dips.

Then you'll see streamlined rules that translate well to multiple different platforms. Probably good for the game, in the end. Look what legs Hasbro gave Magic. (Edit: and D&D)
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Thu May 02, 2013 9:51 am

They did wonders with Magic.. no doubt about it. They did pretty much destroy D&D though.

That being said, right now I really dislike GW. I have finally done it though.. I bought a rulebook for a different mini system. I still love 40k and will play it.. I just cant cough up the cash to GW anymore until they strighten a few things out.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Paz Thu May 02, 2013 12:13 pm

Robyn... What system... Not flames of war I hope!

:p

Rhaeyvn- it's funny, but I think your reasoning is exactly why they release pics so close to release day. Most new models have good rules, I don't think it's cuz they are worried ppl will dislike that (hence why they make older units shittier in comparison), I think that they want to cash in on the excitement and impulse buying that comes the week after new figs are released. Not a month where ppl have time to think "do I really need that fig".
And lets be honest, if they didn't make money off of it, why would they do it? They answer to stockholders, if the ip lawyers were cutting into sales so much, they would back off.
How soon was the helldrake shown before release? Almost every chaos player here bought one, and most tau players bought a riptide. Looks like its working as a sales tactic.
Paz
Paz
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Termagant Thu May 02, 2013 3:14 pm

If by D&D, you are referring to that abortion of a system called 4th edition, then I agree.

System Commander wrote:They did wonders with Magic.. no doubt about it. They did pretty much destroy D&D though.

That being said, right now I really dislike GW. I have finally done it though.. I bought a rulebook for a different mini system. I still love 40k and will play it.. I just cant cough up the cash to GW anymore until they strighten a few things out.

Termagant
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down