Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Greater Daemons & Daemon Princes

+8
Guardian Angel
Planes
gluvzer
Aegwymourn
Rhaevyn
Lore Weaver
miv305
System Commander
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Greater Daemons & Daemon Princes - Page 2 Empty Re: Greater Daemons & Daemon Princes

Post  Lore Weaver Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:59 pm

I think the magic number is 2-3.

You still want 2-4 heralds and a soulgrinder or two.

I wouldn't under estimate the killyness of these guys though. Two rolls on the Greater Rewards chart are what make these things beastly killing machines.

Tzeentch DP's would roll one on Lesser (grabbing the +2S staff) and twice on greater. You'd still be T5, but you could comfortably not pay for 3+ armour (maybe you'll roll it, or roll re-roll invul saves, that's 55% on a 5++). It's the S8 AP1 Lance that's a bit of a game changer (if you're flying).

Also, the fliers typically get to choose their assaults.

They aren't a beating on their own though, you could easily support them with big units of Bloodletters or Daemonettes (I'd take the latter, because they run faster and have fleet).

So there you go... beatings all around.
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Greater Daemons & Daemon Princes - Page 2 Empty Re: Greater Daemons & Daemon Princes

Post  Rhaevyn Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:56 pm

If anyone actually wants to field this, I'd be more than up to play test against it. I'll even lend you 2-3 daemon princes for the exercise Smile

personally i think its too many points tied into models that crash to the ground when hit by flashlights. There is a reason that we haven't been fielding CSM DP's since 6th.

as a side note. anyone else notice that the 6th codexes just generally push you toward using more points? i find that lists under 1750 just seem incomplete lately.
Rhaevyn
Rhaevyn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:21 pm

Rhaevyn wrote:as a side note. anyone else notice that the 6th codexes just generally push you toward using more points? i find that lists under 1750 just seem incomplete lately.

Yep, I've noticed. "If only I had 100 more points" has crossed my mind during many a list-building exercise.
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  dusktiger Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:19 pm

the new trend could be a lead-in to them releasing a new apocalypse book by the end of the year; if everyone's used to playing around 2000pts, its not that hard to jump up another 1000pts. especially if taking a formation that'll replace stuff you've already been fielding for an additional 200-500pts for a special buff to that group. i could easily jump my army up a 1000pts or more just by fielding the formation version of several stand alone units i own, such as land raider formations, and predator formations. still a single unit short here and there for 2 other formations off the top of my head.
dusktiger
dusktiger
Lord of Titan

http://dusktigers-den.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhaevyn Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:04 am

i dont know about that. - imo GW doesn't really take FW into account all that much. i wish for everyone's sanity that they would either embrace it outright, or cut their losses

i could probably field 2500-3000 points without even needing to double the force org chart. (i'm not bragging about the models i own, strictly speaking about list building.. although i own a lot of models and none of them are for sale) the 6th codecs are just option stuffed and troops tend to be expensive. a tooled up unit of anything other than cultists can cost upwards of 350 points. and that's just a 10 man unit of god specific marines. Things like helldrakes are still expensive @ 175, good value, but its still 175 points.

The DA book is even worse. your basically forced to field one of the three force org swap Special characters in order get enough scoring on the field while putting anything but greenwing on the table, and if your going to do that. whats the point of playing DA? Just seems like larger point games are the inevitable outcome. people like to play with their stuff.
Rhaevyn
Rhaevyn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Guardian Angel Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 am

Dont get me wrong....I am not saying flying lists are unbeatable, I just knew that with the list I had brought vs. what Rob brought, I could not deal with all the flyers.
Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Lore Weaver Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:26 am

An interesting analysis on the points topic by Tastytaste over at BloodofKittens
http://bloodofkittens.com/blog/2013/03/20/tits-tournaments-go/
Lore Weaver
Lore Weaver
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhaevyn Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:35 pm

i'm not sure i agree with him on the math portion. everyone is going to math out thier lists, no matter if its 750, 1500, 2000 points. what you do with the points and how you play them out has to account for more than he attributes there.

some armies operate better with a certain amount of points. i'm sure Guard players will all agree that 4000 points should be the new Norm, while GK or DA players are more than happy to have their opponent restricted down to 1500 or less. as you can only take so many points of each special unit and the rest is just filler. As a CSM player i find that 1750 is a sweet spot for fielding the goodies while still restricting my apponent to no as much gonzo craziness, while 1500 point list seem incomplete.

finishing games in under 2 hours and speed of play is an entirely different discussion i think.
Rhaevyn
Rhaevyn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2