Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

power weapons

+3
Roland
Rhaevyn
dusktiger
7 posters

Go down

power weapons Empty power weapons

Post  dusktiger Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:41 pm

so im looking at the book, and the FAQ, and a chaplains power weapon is classified as a power maul, so its now a Str 6, but AP 4 weapon that makes multi-wound models that take an unsaved wound Init 1 til the end of the following assault phase (ie, end of game turn). so he wounds on 2's vs marines, but they still get an armor save. thats not a power weapon; thats just a damn big chain sword! this will also apply to any librarians with a staff, as this profile covers all 'power weapons' that are blunt force trauma type weapons. though calling them a power weapon at that point is misleading since it cant negate power armor.

axes and halberds on a marine will be a Str 5, AP 2, but strike at init 1.

swords and daggers on a marine would be a Str 4 AP 3 weapon.

spears and lances might be where it's at; if the model charges, its +1 Str and AP 3. after that, its user str, AP 4.
dusktiger
dusktiger
Lord of Titan

http://dusktigers-den.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

power weapons Empty Re: power weapons

Post  Rhaevyn Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:40 am

I think the most interesting of all the new classes of power weapons is the Axe. its +1 strength, I1... but its ap2 and can be paired with a pistol for an extra attack. and for most folks is only 15 points.

Do Marine Sarge;s auto get a power sword, or can you model it as an axe?

the mauls are interesting too, in their own way. sometimes its nice to have a weapon that can wound MC's or bikes on a 4+. And most of those guys dont have much better than a 4+ save usually anyway.
Rhaevyn
Rhaevyn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:18 am

Mike, there are other armies than marines, they bust thru that armor.
Besides, don't you want to knock the other character down to INIT 1, especially if you have a PF or Power Axe in the unit>Smile

The main effect of the PW rules is that Termies are a lot better in melee (since it take a PF or PAxe to trigger an invul) and Marines will usually lose their armor save.
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  dusktiger Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:11 am

sarge's pay 15pts for a power weapon; the shape it takes, and therefore the effect it'll have, is up to you.

yea, i heard there's these "other'' armies besides marines or something. i think its just crazy talk. Wink

but marines are the poster child and everyone's either played or faced them, so they got used as my Vana White in my examples
dusktiger
dusktiger
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:47 am

There's nothing wrong with a power maul. It can cause more total wounds and smash the shit out of vehicles. It's balanced enough with the other power weapon options. And like Beau already mentioned it does negate armour.

gluvzer
gluvzer
Lord of Titan/Hero of ToonCon/Ayatollah of Rock n' Rolla

Back to top Go down

Post  Aegwymourn Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:03 am

The only thing I am a bit irritated by with the power maul is the that a Chaplain's "Crozius Arcanum" counts as one. Rather than getting a choice like most models (with the WYSING rules). For vet sarges and such I can see the value of it but for ICs chances are you are going to face off against another and they will probably be packing a 3+ or better save.
Aegwymourn
Aegwymourn
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:22 am

I can see that it's irritating not getting to choose. You will cause more wounds however and you still got the 4++. I don't see it being worse. The ability to smash vehicles really good for no extra points is a big bonus.
gluvzer
gluvzer

Back to top Go down

Post  dusktiger Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:23 pm

i agree with Aegwymourn, he knows exactly what i mean; chaplains have always had a power weapon that negates marine armor. now they're not able to do that anymore. Chaplains are mostly taken as the leader of an anti-power armor melee unit for their re-rolls and power weapon. now they're not going to do that anymore. yea you'll wound on a 2+, but not being AP 3 or better means he's gonna have that wound saved 66% of the time by a basic marine.

its a big miff, because you dont get to 'choose' what power weapon type to model it as and therefore choose what properties it has on the weapon; the FAQ states bluntly "a Crozius Arcanum is a Power Maul." at least with sergeants and captains, we're given the option of modeling the power weapon as a sword or axe or mace or lance so we can choose what properties we want the weapon to have. chaplains don't get that freedom. they're still be good against non-power armor armies, i wont deny that, but the truth is, world-wide, 'most' of the armies out there are marines. and that change is gonna upset alot of marines, especially blood angels players, that used the chaplains alot against other marine lists.

it just sucks having the choice taken out of it for you.
dusktiger
dusktiger
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:46 pm

Choice? There never was a choice for a chaplain so I don't see how it was taken out from you. Its not a miff, it's the rules.

A chaplain kills 1.5 marines on the charge with a power sword. Not the be all, end all. Power maul should hopefully kill one. His special rules are still good.

I'll take from your initial post that you just read these rules and haven't tried using him yet. Why not reserve judgement? He still has a place.
gluvzer
gluvzer

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:48 pm

I'll try this another way. Out of the last 4 tourneys I'be run, about 1/4 are meq. Marine are not the only army, and shouldn't be. Chaplains are different. So are rhinos. Use them differently. C'mon mike, live a little:)
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  dusktiger Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:45 pm

tried a game today with james, and the power axe stats affected his grey knights pretty negatively. Halberds are considered axes, so we decided that since they're sposed to be +2 initiative for their special rule, we ran them as Init 1 for being an axe, with +2 init for its special rules; so they were init 3. that meant i got in alot more hits and wounds before his weapons struck.

for a tactical sergeant, i'd say they'd be useful when you want something stronger like a powerfist for hunting stuff with 2+ armor saves, but need a cheaper point cost, especially if you're ok with hitting last.
dusktiger
dusktiger
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  System Commander Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:39 pm

Halberds are simple power weapons (ap3) with the init bonus.

If they didnt have any special rules, then they'd be considered power axes.
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  dusktiger Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:06 am

oh i see, cause theyre a Nemesis weapon and therefore follow the unusual force weapon rules where they're always AP 3 unless otherwise stated in their description.

that makes terminators and artificer armor that much better now. nemesis weapons, swords, mauls/staves, and lances all allow an armor save of 2+.

honor guard squads might become more popular then since they start with a pistol, bolter, power sword, and artificer armour, and can upgrade the power sword to a relic blade.
dusktiger
dusktiger
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Spamus Eatus Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:07 am

Nemesis swords, falchions, halberds are unusual power weapons (AP3) that also confer their codex bonuses. Nemesis hammers are thunderhammers that also have thier various nemesis bonuses.
Spamus Eatus
Spamus Eatus
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Roland Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:30 am

relic blades are also unusual power weapons so Str +2, AP3.
i agree they'll be more common due to the 2+ save
Roland
Roland
Lord of Titan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down