Hunters of The Warp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5th edition tactics

5 posters

Go down

5th edition tactics Empty 5th edition tactics

Post  System Commander Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:43 pm

So, I wanted to start a thread to see how people were going to be dealing with the 5th edition and their armies in particular.

For me, I'm climbing back into rhinos in full force. I would like to field the raptors, bikes and termies that I had planned on taking, but I'm going to be needing at least 3 scoring units to make the game interesting. I'd like to take some plague marines since I can't see how anyone's going to be taking a full units of these guys out that easy.. they are ideal troops choices for holding objectives. I'll load up two units of berserkers as my attack units for taking objectives. So, with those three units.. I'm up to 800 points with Rhinos. I'll have to mess around a bit with the rest to see what will work. I might work with a 6 man squad of basic chaos marines just for the extra scoring unit, but I'll have to crunch some numbers.

I might have to whip out the daemonhunters to see how they fair with the new ruleset. Two landraiders will be fun, and I think the stormbolters/shrouding will be awesome. I might not be able to hide as easily, but with cover saves and shrouding, I think it will be alot harder to kill the grey knights and I'll probably toss in a unit of stormtroopers for some extra scoring power.

I've also got the daemons on the go. This army might be a tough one to deal with with the new ruleset. All the basic troops are so cheap and really good. The lack or armor will probably hurt them though, but considering when you deep strike in you have the choice of running or shooting on the turn they arrive, they'll be able to spread out a bit more. Yeah, templates are more effective now but I still think this army might be trouble.

System Commander
System Commander
System Commander
System Commander

Back to top Go down

5th edition tactics Empty Re: 5th edition tactics

Post  Administratum Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:40 pm

Well for me i think that i would make only a few minor changes to the old chaos list. I would definatly keep one big squad of plague marines, but i would probably put them in a rhino rather than having them footslogging. Feel no pain has taken a hit, but there still are not allot of ap2 weapons out there. The plasma cannon could do a number on the unit though, so i dont think i would ever take more than 8. Mike runs his in a 5 man squad, which might just be the best idea. Throw em in a rhino for 30 points, then just grab an objective. The old plasma cannon would have to roll pretty good to take em out if they were well spaced.
Noise marines, well, they might just have become a very good choice. I have always had problems using the sonic blaster as a heavy 3 because people just wont walk out in front of a noise marine squad. With LOS however, they can no longer hide. Oh but they get cover saves now you say, well that is what is beautiful about the sonic blaster. Of course the embedded blastmaster will have problems with the new cover rules, but it still shoots a str8 template.
I would have to start using my landraider, they are just so awsome now. And then it would have to be packed with a squad of berzerkers.

Ultimately though i think the new rules will mean a new army for me.
I have considered black templars because some of there stuff has gotten quite good. The whole army can essentially reroll all misses in close combat and it costs 50 points for the whole army. Neophytes are good because you can allocate those pesky low ap weapons to them, essentially soaking up a lascannon shot with a 10pt model. They can have big squads which are good under the new assault rules. They can also move up to 18 inches a turn... 1d6 righteous fury, 6 move, d6 run. What else, there fury used to make it so you had to charge, but now if you want them to hold an objective you can just go to ground. Other goodies, they have the ability to take a retinue, which will make their HQ unkillable until their retinue has been finished first.
So yea lots of goodies for the templars. What i tend to do however is figure out the hardest list out there to beat and then determine if an army has a chance against it. Right now i have to say that orks are going to be the list to beat. So if i wanted to win i would play orks. I dont like orks though, so i am going to look for something else. I am trying very hard to wait for the new marine codex, but ill tell ya, the eldar might be the answer. Dire avengers in wave serpents, and firre prisms can fire a pie plate. The only other army that really has effective big template is the guard, and i think they are a$$.

Thats kind of where my thinking lies at the moment. I am trying more to figure out what to play next, rather than how to convert my army over. I think i will do some good playtesting before i make a decision though.

Administratum
Inquisitor Lord

https://huntersofthewarp.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Veyure Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:04 am

I don't have a whole lot to say, but my thousand sons don't really seem that effective any more. The AP 3 bolters were pretty awesme but now that anything can get a cover save, and it usually is a 4+ they don't seem to be worth the 23 points anymore. and i've always had a problem with the 60 point sorcerer as well. not sure if i need the mark of tzeentch on any of my squads either as a 5+ invuln save is prob less than a cover i would get. The only advantage is that they can walk in the open and still have a save against big guns. Vehicles in my army won't be affected that much though except make them more worth taking.
Veyure
Veyure
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:30 am

Immediately, a new tactic comes to mind that I look forward to using: Smash-up Derby. In my Battle Sisters army, I have a few Rhinos and Immolators for troop delivery. Once these sbabies drop off thier cargo or have their weapons blown off, I fully intend to take advantage of vehicle ramming rules. I'll say a prayer to the Emperor and send these guided missiles to martyr themselves in his name. Watch out hethens!

Back to top Go down

Post  Administratum Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:53 pm

Lol, yea it does give the 30 point rhino a new lease on life.

Administratum
Inquisitor Lord

https://huntersofthewarp.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

5th edition tactics Empty not sure

Post  Gulsnick Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:22 pm

the whole troops claiming objective thing realy makes some of the ork armies i was planning a bad choice.

truckers got worse in 5 th ed, so i might take less of them, or more and double team squads i used to take with one unit of truckers.

i am seriously thinking of doing a 9 kan 2 dread army , with run for dreads and cover for the kans it would be a hard nut to krak.

hell grots are usefull again , might get some of those Smile
Gulsnick
Gulsnick
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Lord_Commander_Stash Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:13 am

2 defilers
2 drednaughts
2 monstrous creatures
3 rhinos (for cover/moveable terrain)
5 troop selections